October 21st, 2012

Lance Armstrong laments 'difficult few weeks'

Potentially on the verge of losing his most prized cycling medals, and already shedding sponsors who gave him enormous wealth, Lance Armstrong said Sunday it's been "an interesting and at times very difficult few weeks."

Speaking to participants in his cancer-fighting foundation's annual Ride for the Roses, Armstrong said, "People ask me a lot how are you doing.  And I tell them I've been better, but I've also been worse."

In his brief remarks to a crowd in Austin, Armstrong didn't mention the recent finding by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) of overwhelming evidence that Armstrong was involved as a professional cyclist in "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program."  Armstrong has denied the accusations for years and attacked those who said he took part in doping - including fellow cyclists.

He stepped down last week as chairman of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, but said he will continue to be involved.  Some of the foundation's donors are furious over the scandal, and want their money back.

"We will not be deterred," Armstrong said Friday night at the organization's 15th anniversary celebration in Austin, Texas.  "We will move forward."

The USADA has called for Armstrong to lose his seven Tour de France titles.  The International Cycling Union, which has the authority to strip him of those titles, plans to respond Monday.

See also:

With Armstrong's disgrace, will anything change?

Livestrong donors want money back

Post by:
Filed under: Cycling • Lance Armstrong • Sports • Texas • U.S.
  1. Jesse Pinkman

I cheated in checkers once.....

October 21, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Spawny

Funny how when black athletes so call cheat the white racist public tream them like pariahs, but when it's one of your own, there is always the benefit of the doubt. The evidence that Armstrong cheated is simply staggering. "Almost every teamate of his admitted". So Armstrong, the only man on the team who didn't cheat went on to win 7 Tours??? If you believe that then you are as arrogant and in denial as Armstrong is.

October 21, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. TvNyC

Ur a fake.Armstrong, get a life

October 21, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sallgator

Will someone be packing his trophies in styrofoam peanuts and FedEx-ing them back to France? To us, he is a hero for surviving cancer and lending his name to a huge fund raising effort. We shall continue to donate to Livestrong.

October 21, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corey

His medals don't belong in France – they belong to their rightful owner: Pfizer.

October 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lis

Yes, he survived cancer but who is to say his cancer wasn't a direct result of his doping? Everyone I know swore he was doping for years, that there was no way he could be doing what he was doing legally, yet I staunchly defended him and believed the hype that he was just that good. He fooled me and disgraced himself. Shame on him.

October 21, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Blaire

I agree 100 percent.

October 21, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • Did you know...

Testicular cancer has one of the highest cure rates of all cancers: in excess of 90 percent; essentially 100 percent if it has not spread...so says wikipedia. Arstrong a Hero? I don't know.

October 21, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • Legios

I love how everyone supports Lance and Clemmons, but hate Barry Bonds. Wonder why...

October 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. TvNyC

We still love u Armstrong but I think u should.just.go on.with ur.family now n live ur life

October 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • mark

Please learn to type and stop texting on the computer most people enjoy the written word .Not abbreviations Thank you also for support of the lance .who did nothing wrong

October 21, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. FriendOfLance

What USADA has to say does not matter to me. I'm proud of Lance Armstrong and wish him continued success with the Livestrong foundation and a long, healthy life. Who among you critics have started a foundation to help others?

October 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corey

Just as what the USADA has no bearing on you, your opinion has no bearing on me. Lance is a cheat and his charitable works don't erase that. Most people contribute to charity or do volunteer work & help others in need. What sets Lance apart is that he lied and stole the trust of the public while doing so.

October 21, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • bvm

Well, let's see, Jerry Sandusky started a foundation to help others. What a great guy.

October 21, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alpha mom

I agree. My thoughts on this whole deal is Don't judge him cause he sins different then you. Whether or not the doping charges are true he has helped a lot of people. I respect him for that aspect.

October 21, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Greg

Jerry Sandusky started a foundation for boys because he is a child molester, not to help anyone but himself. Remember people, innocent until proven guilty. Lance Armstrong has made a huge difference in the lives of thousands. How many people have each of us helped??

October 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Ken

A lot of interesting comments. I don't have a doubt that Lance cheated in some way but if I were Lance's attorney, I would him to deny til he dies. Yes he mislead a lot of people and made a lot of money in doing so but at least he turned his success towards helping people. Strip his medals but don't crucify him. And I agree with the comments on the people that want their money back. Shame on you people.

October 21, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike

He committed in doping however has not committed to be a husband of new girl friend who gave birth two children for him.
    That tells me how selfish person he is. All I can say is that the Livestrong was established and publicized and got their funds based on a fraud. Why he never cought doing test positive ? Because he was helped by disgraced Dr, Michele Ferrari who is specialized in masking doping. Being never cought testing positive means nothing. Unless doing test lab comes up with newer methodes to detect doping.

October 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • dopey

Grammer and spell check Mikey, grammer and spell check.

October 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • IxNay

Beth 🙂

October 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike

This is no different from going to court and fighting your case. In court, he has physical evidence that proves he did not take drugs. Thats scientific evidence not hear say. So whats the problem, why are we keeping this going. He didn't do it, if he had he would have popped positive on the drug test. If there is not evidence to prove he did it then lets drop all this and leave the man alone.

October 21, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jean

Canada still loves you Lance. Your accomplishments, life experiences, and charity are heroic.

October 21, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • Andy

Speak for yourself, not our country.

October 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JGN

The USADA has NO standing in their attempts to 'strip him of his medals.'
    He won them, they are his and he should never ever give them, his triumphs, his caring cancer work or his sense of self worth up just because there are so very many jealous hateful people ready to jump on the crucify bandwagon. To me, the USADA is doing precisely what any playground bully would do; keep on torturing someone until they drop. It's obscene.
    I'm not a cyclist enthusiast nor am I (or was I) a Lance Armstrong fan, but when I listen not only to the spurious constant unproven accusations from the pencil pushers at USADA but from the hordes of witch hunters making ignorant comments on these boards it makes me ashamed to be a human being.

October 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Tour de frogs

They could strip him of his medals, but ironically, every rider who came in second in the seven times he won has been involved in a ding scandal. It's so wide spread that the tour itself is losing sponsors.

October 21, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claire

The UCI has already made it clear that if Lance is stripped of his wins (which will almost surely be the case) the wins will simply be vacated rather than being awarded to others who were obviously doping too. There will simply BE no winner of the TdF for those seven years, which is as it should be.

October 21, 2012 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Greg

Lance, you did a great deal of good. As for allegations against you, who am I to judge? Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

October 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Alpha mom

Exactly! Well said!

October 21, 2012 at 2:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. mfstout

Lance saying 'I've been worse' is just another attempt to garner empathy for his battle with cancer. He wants to remind people of his former medical plight in order to seem less like a scoundrel for his actions. But as they say in Texas, 'that dog don't hunt."

October 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Lance is certainly not one to hunt for empathy. He literally has been worse, at the brink of losing his life. I don't consider it my place to judge. I can only be responsible for my own life. Cycling and pro sports pay for performance, and enhancing the paycheck has always been the product of enhancing the performance. Every few years, another agency has circled around with more testimony in an attempt to bring down Lance. No one moaned when selling 10 million bikes because he road Trek. Or when his performances enabled television channels to thrive because of his participation in the Tour. Or when hundreds of millions in sponsorship dollars poured into the Tour, and the crowd size doubled at the race. But now he is vilified because one side says so, and because he is simply done fighting. He's been worse, a lot worse. Cycling is my favorite sport, and nothing will change that. But when you consider that the biggest race in the US–the Tour of California–is sponsored by Amgen (makers of EPO), the notion that there is any genuine intention of cleaning up the sport looks rather insincere. Which leaves the USADA looking like their real aim is to take a man down and leave him with nothing. He's given far too much to far too many to deserve that, in my opinion.

October 22, 2012 at 12:19 am | Report abuse |
  15. southernbelle

Take his trophies and make him pay back money he received from endorsements, etc. Did I read somewhere that he is an atheist? That explains why he has no conscience and did whatever he needed to do to be the best.....for seven years. How can you live with yourself and have any kind of positive self-esteem at all knowing you cheated. But then again, he has no conscience. He deserves whatever is coming. Maybe cheater Roger Clemens could have loaned Lance his attorner. These professional athletes are NO role models at all.

October 21, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Claire

I hope you are not saying that atheists do not have consciences because Lance does not have one. That would be like saying that all Christians are flaming jerks because of the members of the Westboro church are flaming jerks.

October 21, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |