October 21st, 2012

Lance Armstrong laments 'difficult few weeks'

Potentially on the verge of losing his most prized cycling medals, and already shedding sponsors who gave him enormous wealth, Lance Armstrong said Sunday it's been "an interesting and at times very difficult few weeks."

Speaking to participants in his cancer-fighting foundation's annual Ride for the Roses, Armstrong said, "People ask me a lot how are you doing.  And I tell them I've been better, but I've also been worse."

In his brief remarks to a crowd in Austin, Armstrong didn't mention the recent finding by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) of overwhelming evidence that Armstrong was involved as a professional cyclist in "the most sophisticated, professionalized and successful doping program."  Armstrong has denied the accusations for years and attacked those who said he took part in doping - including fellow cyclists.

He stepped down last week as chairman of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, but said he will continue to be involved.  Some of the foundation's donors are furious over the scandal, and want their money back.

"We will not be deterred," Armstrong said Friday night at the organization's 15th anniversary celebration in Austin, Texas.  "We will move forward."

The USADA has called for Armstrong to lose his seven Tour de France titles.  The International Cycling Union, which has the authority to strip him of those titles, plans to respond Monday.

See also:

With Armstrong's disgrace, will anything change?

Livestrong donors want money back

Post by:
Filed under: Cycling • Lance Armstrong • Sports • Texas • U.S.
  1. Jeff S

If it wasn't caught during the event then who cares. This is like reversing a call made by the refs years after the game ended.

October 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff

If he hasn't failed a drug test, I think he should be able to keep his medals. Basically all the USADA is doing is admitting that their drug testing regimen isn't good enough, without proving Armstrong actually broke the rules. What is the evidence?

October 21, 2012 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

I feel it necessary to point out again that the USADA isn't a governmental agency, and the mere fact it has the United States as part of its name doesn't make it one.

October 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Tom

I can't believe no one has figured it out yet. Lance faked the testicular cancer and donated a testicle to make the story look good. The benefit for him was the treatment for the "alleged" cancer which is hormone replacement therapy...namely the steroid and hormone Testosterone!

October 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Would *you* give up one of your boys for a sport?
      Wow.
      That's quite the dedication!

October 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • smbitterman

Wow! That is quite the claim there, Tom. Almost slanderous (or I guess more aptly, libelous since this is in print). Regardless, I am SURE that you have proof that he parted ways with one of his "boys" with the premise that he could then have a legal and medical reason for using testosterone, EPO, and any other cancer treatments. Then again, you probably believe that the US Government perpetrated 9/11 and that it was the Roswell aliens on the grassy knoll that took out JFK and Jimmy Hoffa.

October 21, 2012 at 11:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Steve

They should cut his other one off and send him to jail for 40 years. The hell with just stripping him of medals he didnt win fairly to begin with. I feel sorry for those other athletes who did not dope .. were prob better and faster than him ... and never won an event because they were competing with dopers

October 21, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Report abuse |
    • truth

Joe, have some knowledge before making a comment like that. Yes, Armstrong did cheat but in cycling everyone cheats also. Just look at the amount of former tour de France winners who have had their victory stripped in recent years

October 21, 2012 at 11:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • 66Biker

I'll say the same thing to you as I have to many others lately. If you have proof that Armstrong doped, let's see it. But you don't have anything, do you? In fact, you don't even have as much as the USADA does, which is all speculation, tainted testimony and hearsay. Not a shred of concrete proof of anything.

October 22, 2012 at 1:05 am | Report abuse |
  6. cosmo

He is still a hero in my eyes

October 21, 2012 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Indeed! Nothing the USADA can say or do will change how I feel about the man.

October 22, 2012 at 12:17 am | Report abuse |
    • Oh BOY

you and your friend Matt are the reason Merica is such a gutter society in decline.

October 22, 2012 at 12:37 am | Report abuse |
    • Joe

Get yourself some glasses.

October 22, 2012 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
    • CA_Girl

Hi is indeed a hero. How many people have competed at high level after such ferocious disease. Have you ever watched Tour de France? Just watching them climbing Alps or Pyrenees will make you dizzy. Doping is a part of the professional sport, unfortunately. Still, this man deserves respect for what he has been through and what he has done as his Foundation leader.
      Sitting all your life with some 300+ lb of "honest" personality and mixing him up with dirt doesn't give you any credit. What good have you done to people today?

October 22, 2012 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  7. DanW

A lot of people want to believe Lance is innocent. A lot of people also believe that if everybody in a large group has one story except for one person who has an opposite story, the group story would be the most persuasive. We all want Lance to be the real deal. My mind says one thing and my heart says another.

October 21, 2012 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  8. DanW

I believe that even with two testicles and taking any and all drugs known to mankind I would never in a million years come close to what Lance did. That's what makes this story so sad.

October 21, 2012 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Me

The man has done incredible things in his life. Much more than any of the people comenting here. Lance is amazing. Beyond driven. I will always think of him as unique and special. The single greatest cyclelist in the history of the world period. People want to tear him down? Stupid. I wish that I had a fraction of what he has. People hate what they envy. The world is full of weak envious fat people, sitting on their asses, wishing they were important amd hating those who actually do somethiong with their lives.

October 21, 2012 at 10:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • sbhand2

when I was in my country back in Nepal, people used to climb all that mountains back there in my country but when they compete in world championship , they always used to lose. Now I live in USA, after getting familiar here, I have no doubts why people in western world always win medals. Look at them. Anybody with right mind will know whats happpening? Look at Nfl? Everyone looks like pumped up on sterioids..

October 22, 2012 at 1:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Seriously

He may have accomplished great things.....BUT.....he cheated and that makes him a pathetic loser. You can your share of his fraction.

October 22, 2012 at 1:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. Andy

Here's a thought (though it doesn't really justify his behavior)... cycling is a dirty, dirty, drug fueled sport and has been since it's inception. Look at the history if you disagree. That said, he beat every other doped up cyclist again and again. In some of the years he won you'd have to go to sixth or seventh place to find a "winner"...the matter should be dropped, testing abandoned and simply say "every man for himself". What about the guys on legal med's? Why are they okay? If they drop those med's would they even be able to compete. I know this is all over the place but it all seems rather hypocritical to me. The best doper won. So what. Who cares? The sun will still rise tomorrow.

October 21, 2012 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. SensaBull

Cheating sux- it's selfish and lazy. None of us know if Lance did or didn't- ONLY he knows- ONLY. I personally BELIEVE he did not based on: he's been a cyclist for decades, has been tested for years and years and has passed all of his tests. I have not read any medical reports. I just don't see how it's possible to be randomly tested for drugs for many years and always pass the tests. It seems logical that if he was using, he would have been caught at some point. But what the hell do i know? He's done some good stuff for people, and I HOPE he has been honest all along.

October 21, 2012 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

Is Sean Penn a USADA poster child?

October 21, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mailin Wong

The man reminds me of his old friend G.W Bush. Both are liars, except that Lance did not kill innocent civilians in a dirty war for oil... By cheating, Lance became number one in his sport and through his foundation managed to create some hope for some less fortunate. It all feels a bit strange...

October 22, 2012 at 12:13 am | Report abuse |
  14. quackyduck

In the afterlife, Armstrong takes a seat on a bench next to a guy in a baseball cap.

"Hi, I'm Joe Jackson..."

"I'm Lance Armstrong"

Shoeless Joe gets up and walks away...

October 22, 2012 at 12:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. Jamie

I spent ten minutes online researching the good he has done and the lives that have been affected by him and his foundations... Still a great guy in my books

October 22, 2012 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Seriously

I just spent 10 minutes reading the overwhelming evidence that he cheated. Still a pathetic loser in my books.

October 22, 2012 at 1:25 am | Report abuse |