October 22nd, 2012

Relative shoots costumed girl after mistaking her for a skunk

A little girl was fighting for her life early Monday after she was shot outside a Halloween party by a relative who mistook her costume for a skunk.

Police in western Pennsylvania's New Sewickley Township said the 9-year-old girl was dressed in black with a black hat for the Saturday evening party.

As the two to three dozen guests milled about, the girl went to hide on the edge of a hill.

It was past 8 p.m. and the sun had long set. A relative spotted the dark figure in the distance, mistook it for a skunk and fired his shotgun, said Officer Greg Carney with the township police.

The girl was hit in the neck, back and arm - and flown to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, about 30 miles away. There, she remained in the intensive care unit, Carney said.

Police will determine later Monday whether they will charge the shooter, whom they did not name. Nor did they say how he was related to the girl.

They did add, however, that the man had not been drinking.

Post by:
Filed under: Halloween • Pennsylvania • U.S.
soundoff (1,550 Responses)
  1. Mammy

LMFAO!

October 22, 2012 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  2. YourFriendTheNRA

I am guessing that the NRA considers this little girl's life a good trade-off for ensuring that guns remain available to anyone who can come up with $100, the cost of 2 used XBox games.

October 22, 2012 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • Elmer Fudd

NRA has nothing to do with it. I don't like NRA either, but as a lifelong hunter, I was taught as a kid not to shoot until you knew what your target was, had a clear shot, and knew your bullet would not carry if you missed. This is stupidity, and nothing more.

October 22, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Tadpole

This is stupidity.. yes. It is also stupidity COUPLED with a deadly firearm (thus the NRA connection). Had it been stupidity alone, he wouldn't have been able to shoot her.

October 22, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  3. wildone

"Hey Unka Jed! I jest gots me one of them thar "stinky cats"! Cain we's have it fer supper?"

Freakin' Hillbillies. I hope the lock the idiot up for assault and child endangerment.

October 22, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • biff mcguzzle

They called them polecats. Long live Jethro Bodine.

October 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Ladun (Nigeria)Name*

The witch power showed itself in d Godless American fun.

October 22, 2012 at 7:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Lol

Yeah, but we hope to fix our Nigerian problem this November 7th.

October 22, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Elmer Fudd

The first rule of using a firearm is to know 100% positively what your target is. This is the same type of moron who will go out hunting and take "sound shots" and basically shoot at sounds instead of knowing for sure what he/she is shooting at. This person should never again be allowed to own anything more than a butter knife.

October 22, 2012 at 7:55 am | Report abuse |
    • bch

Thank-you Sir!

Two to three dozen quests (several possibly children) milling around and someone shoots at something unidentified in the dark...

October 22, 2012 at 5:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jose

Skunks is goood eating in them-there parts.

October 22, 2012 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  7. Em

I have all types of animals that come into my backyard and I feed them all! Even skunks! Just let wild life animals live! They don't cause war! They bring the natures peace!

October 22, 2012 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Lol

You clealry have never seen apex predators at work .

October 22, 2012 at 8:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. Tadpole

I do not want in any way to make light of this tradgedy.. as it is one. However, this is exactly the reason why we need to preserve our right to carry firearms. Had this child been armed and trained properly, she would have been able to defend herself against this act by shooting the man first. Simply my opinion.

October 22, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • LOW LYF

I AGREE

October 22, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • jessy

tadpole??REALLY?!?! That was THE dumbest thing ive ever heard! The girl is 9 you moron!! think about what u say before u say it!

October 22, 2012 at 8:12 am | Report abuse |
    • kathy

Yes of course. because giving firearms to 9 year olds at Halloween Parties is this best answer to this kind of stupidity. Mama always said, stupid is as stupid does.

October 22, 2012 at 8:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Jim

iro·ny noun \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\
      plural iro·nies

2a : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaning b : a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by irony c : an ironic expression or utterance

Geez, some people are dim out there...

October 22, 2012 at 8:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Aja

Awful. Just awful. I hope this guy feels like a POS.

October 22, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  10. LOW LYF

LEAVE IT TO ONE IDIOT TO MAKE US FIREARM OWNERS LOOK BAD

October 22, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rick

Only in the U.S.A. Greatest country in the world, I think not.

October 22, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Lol

Said the American who thinks its cool to talk trash.

October 22, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. JD

Does the yahoo who shot the little girl know how big skunks are? They certainly aren't the size of a 9 year old. So much for responsible gunmanship. I saw something moving in the dark and shot at it. Really smart. Hope you enjoy being a murderer and spending the rest of your miserable, ignorant life in prison.

October 22, 2012 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
    • Sue-helen

How disgusting. Or was he working for the Taliban? He should be charged, definitely.

October 22, 2012 at 8:07 am | Report abuse |
    • JD

Sometimes, as in this case, I can afford to be self-righteous when I'm actually correct. Who shoots blindly into the dark thinking it's a skunk (a known dangerous animal at a great distance). You cannot defend that kind of stupidity.

October 22, 2012 at 10:14 am | Report abuse |
    • todd

wasn't this guy just a responsible gun owner though ? Or is he only responsible like the other gun nuts in america until he does something stupid, and then he's no longer responsible ? Isn't it his right to get drunk and have a gun for protection ? Seems like he's just standing his ground, and protecting himself from a skunk. I'm sure he won't go to jail for this, due to brilliant laws in place.

October 22, 2012 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  13. PevanB

REALLY! AND They weren't drinking but they were surly stupid (don't call me surly)

October 22, 2012 at 8:01 am | Report abuse |

Church of Suicidal

When denigrating another's intelligence, it helps to make sure you haven't misspelled "surely" (twice). Don't get surly with me for pointing this out.

October 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Church of Suicidal

October 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Church of Suicidal

Don't get surly, but you really should learn to spell before calling someone out on their stupidity.

October 22, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • strategic bob

Pevan,

I think you meant "surely" and not "surly," but your point about stupid is well taken.

October 22, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bill

I think you meant "surely" not surly

October 22, 2012 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • gf

Surly (morose, sullen) or surely (definitely)?

October 22, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • Gil Nodges

I think you mean, "surely stupid" and "don't call me Shirley"......lol.

October 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • guest

that's "surely", stupid

October 22, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guy

You seem pretty surly to me!

October 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I won't call you surely or Shirley either.

October 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Allison

PevanB, I think you mean surely, not surly, unless you were referring to the idiot shooting.

October 22, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • andrew.peter

And don't call me Shirley!

October 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • wizardmother

Maybe you meant "surely"?

October 22, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • ummm

Surely, you mean surely I think. Although, surly does apply, kind of.

I guess what I am doing is calling you surly.

October 22, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • shalomcharlotte

Your joke would have been funnier had you checked your spelling first.

October 22, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sagebrush Shorty

Surely not.

October 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tony

"Surly" or "surely"? You wrote "surly" twice, so I have to assume that is either what you meant (which makes no sense), or you surely don't know how to spell "surely".

October 22, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lagos

Shirley. It's "Don't call me Shirley".

October 22, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • MCA

Just use a decent browser and it will tell you when you're misspelling words like "surely." Your joke is almost completely lost when you can't even land the punchline.

October 22, 2012 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • KeyWester

Surely?

October 22, 2012 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • seasonhigh

Well, Surly, you can't spell. Surely.

October 22, 2012 at 10:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • Pinkflam

That would be "surely" or Shirley.

October 22, 2012 at 11:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Oscar Pitchfork

That's "Shirley" (like the name) and "surely", as in 'Surely you're not serious." "Surly" is like in "inbred, surly moron" as in yourself, idiot.

October 22, 2012 at 11:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • OK

Is it OK if I call you surely?

October 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • jesuguru

I won't call you surly (angry), but surely I'll call you Shirley.

October 22, 2012 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Charlie

Well, you surely sound surly.

October 23, 2012 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
    • mmg

Surly means bad tempered. Surely you meant surely.

October 23, 2012 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Jason

It's "surely" and "Shirley" !

October 23, 2012 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Dan

Surely?

October 23, 2012 at 7:28 am | Report abuse |
    • Mbele Simba Maboto

Surly: you make a very good point!

October 23, 2012 at 8:27 am | Report abuse |
    • ChiefGunner

PevanB ~ Surely you wouldn't object to calling someone who shoots a 9 year old "surly" (at the very least).

October 23, 2012 at 9:05 am | Report abuse |
    • Tony

Are you surly? All mean and cranky.

October 23, 2012 at 9:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • RobN

Irony alert.

October 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  14. NOTAGOPFAN

I guess he didn't "REDNECKOGNIZE" that wasn't a skunk but a little kid.

October 22, 2012 at 8:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. works4me

When I first saw the headline I thought... has to be Florida. But...
    The police said he wasn't drinking. With his brain in cold storage he didn't need to be. I hope he gets charged with reckless endangerment. What a twit.

October 22, 2012 at 8:03 am | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54