Student, 17, arrested in Jessica Ridgeway killing
Austin Reed Sigg, 17, was arrested this morning.
October 24th, 2012

Student, 17, arrested in Jessica Ridgeway killing

Editor's note: A 17-year-old student was arrested Tuesday evening in this month's killing of 10-year-old Denver-area girl Jessica Ridgeway, according to police in Westminster, Colorado.

Austin R. Sigg, who lived not far from Ridgeway, will be charged as an adult in her death and in a separate, attempted abduction in May, authorities say.

[Updated at 6:50 p.m. ET] One of Ridgeway's great-grandmothers, Donna Moss of Independence, Missouri, told CNN affiliate KSHB that she wouldn't be able to look in the suspect's face "and not be judgmental."

"It's all I've got within me to not want to just burn him. And I mean burn him," Moss told KSHB on Wednesday.

"For me, my steps have to be one step at a time to forgiveness," Moss said. "Because yes, I am really angry."

[Updated at 6:15 p.m. ET] The student arrested in Ridgeway's death, 17-year-old Austin R. Sigg, will be tried as an adult, Jefferson County District Attorney Pam Russell said Wednesday.

Charges probably will be filed on Monday, Russell said. Authorities said earlier that Sigg, who was arrested Tuesday night, will face murder and kidnapping charges in death of Ridgeway, who is from Westminster in the Denver area. Sigg also will be charged with attempted kidnapping and attempted murder charges regarding allegations that he tried to abduct someone else on May 28 at Ketner Lake in Westminster.

Sigg and Ridgeway lived about one mile apart, on opposite sides of Ketner Lake, CNN affiliate KMGH reported.

Ridgeway, also from Westminster, was last seen alive by her mother as the girl left for school October 5. A body was found days later at a park just five miles from Westminster, and police identified it as Ridgeway's on October 12.

Hundreds of volunteers had searched fields and streets, posted fliers and canvassed neighborhoods since news broke of the girl's disappearance. Hundreds of local, state and federal law enforcement officers also worked the case.

Earlier Wednesday, police had said Sigg was arrested on Wednesday. They later corrected themselves, saying he'd actually been apprehended Tuesday evening.

[Updated at 2:44 p.m. ET] We can now report that the 17-year-old suspect is Austin Reed Sigg.

While CNN does not normally show the booking photo or name suspects who are juveniles, police mentioned Sigg's name and released his photograph in hopes the public could provide information related to the case.

Jessica Ridgeway, 10, was last seen by her mother.

[Updated at 2:14 p.m. ET] Jessica Ridgeway's family was told this morning that an arrest was made in the 10-year-old's death, police said.

"We hope and pray that this arrest gives them some measure of closure in dealing with this horrible loss and tragedy they have suffered,"  Westminster Police Chief Lee Birk told reporters.

Charges will officially be filed in the next couple of days, officials said.

The 17-year-old suspect was arrested on preliminary charges including two counts of first-degree murder and one count of kidnapping in the Ridgeway case. He also faces a charge of attempted murder and attempted abduction related to a May 28 kidnapping attempt near Ketner Lake.

A warrant is currently being served on the suspect's home.

The  suspect will have his first court appearance Thursday at 8 a.m.

[Updated at 1:50 p.m. ET] A 17-year-old student has been arrested in the murder of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway, according to a Westminster, Colorado, police report.

The report says the student is charged with first degree murder and second degree kidnapping.

CNN is not naming the suspect or showing his mugshot until we can determine whether he is being charged as an adult or a juvenile.

[Posted at 1:32 p.m. ET] Police in Westminster, Colorado, arrested someone today in connection with the Jessica Ridgeway murder case.

Jessica, 10, was last seen by her mother as she left for school October 5. Her body was found last week at a park in Arvada, a Denver suburb five miles from Westminster.

"Late Tuesday evening police received a call that led them to a home near the Ketner Lake Open Space," police said in a press release.

That visit allowed police to make an arrest in the Ridgeway case, as well as another case, an attempted abduction near Ketner Lake.

That's all we know right now. Police will have a news conference at 2 p.m. ET. We'll be sure to update you as soon as we have more information.

1. James

This monster needs to be rid of!

October 24, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. sly

"We all knew it would be a white boy. And I'll bet his father left the home. Burn this piece of trash immediately."

Oh ... by the way, I just cut and pasted that comment from yesterday's story of the 2 teenage killers. I only changed 1 word ... guess ...

Hopefully some of the racist trash that pollutes America is smart enough to understand the irony of what I did.

But, using the word 'racist' and 'smart' in the same sentence is an oxymoron. Oh shoot, I doubt ANY racist out there knows what that is ... but at least a few of them know how to use Google.

October 24, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • harish tekchandani

dude, go back and play xbox

October 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Garbage

Why was this a worth while comment?

October 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • true justice

Another proud member of Obama's Coalition of Morons. On your way home to mommy's basement stop and buy (OK steal) some tea, better for you then the kool aid.  Then ask mommy who daddy was.  She will not know because she banged everything in the hood with 2 or more legs, but you can Asks. Do not forget your free Malt 40 the corrupt DNC gives Obama voters.

October 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark T?

Not really sly. I was thinking it would be one of your family members.

October 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. BRod

Glad they caught the freak. I hope he is ripped apart in prison.

October 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marcus

Arrested, not convicted. What is it with people always assuming guilt right away?

October 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. This is Weak

White people crime, kidnapping, they are crazy, I always watch them.

October 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Robert

Harish tekchandani, the difference between you and a pice of dung is that you can type.

October 24, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  6. This is Weak

This and priest abusing boys, white crimes, slap on the wrist for them, this guy probably gets 10 years for being white, 20 years if he was black.

October 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  7. eleie

Hopefully, the live witness will be able to positively ID this person and if the DNA matches up he will be put away for ever. What was done to this poor little innocent girl is beyond comprehension and is so scary to think a young kid could have been the perp!

October 24, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Report abuse |
  8. icfantv

I like how CNN is trying to allegedly do the right thing by not posting the name or photo of the alleged perpetrator, but if you want more details, you can just go to 9news dot com or another local Colorado news site for better information.

October 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  9. luvlar

I've got 20 bucks that says he lived in a trailer park. Any takers?

October 24, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • photogrrl

You lost your bet. Normal looking house in a normal suburban neighborhood.

October 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ForGoodOfAll

He should be tried and punished as an adult.

October 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Brandt

I'm bored. If we only had publicized decapitations on TV. I'd love to see this dude decapitated in public for what he did. He is pure evil. First I'd love to see him tortured a bit and beg for mercy. And then I'd love to see the parents of the girl be the ones to pull the guillotine lever. Only after his liver and stomach are removed though, without anaesthetic.

Thank you. Hopefully one day FOX will air something like this.

October 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Steven Harnack

If anybody would it would be Fox. Maybe you can experience it up close and personal some day. Make sure that you're not having a bad hair day when you hit the basket.

October 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Andrew

What's up with teens killing each other, there was one in my State yesterday, two brothers, 15,17, killed a 12 year old girl and stuffed in a recycling bin.

October 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. albendia

My prayers goes out for the family. I truly believe most parents raise their children right, but somehow that "mental illness" emerges, and social issues are not on the forefront of American's, and this means little to no help is available. I have been through so much murders and devastation, that it hurts everytime I read about this. Again, my prayers to the family.

October 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  14. T.rex

I'm not so sure about this one, guys... He looks entirely normal. I want him DJ'ing my next bah-mitzva.

October 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Evenstar13

Sao, so terribly sad. So many people affected by this one kids actions. It just seems that so many have become so indifferent to anothers pain and suffering. I pity them as Gods judgment will come and it will be righteous!

October 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • bigot

"I pity them as Gods judgment will come and it will be righteous!"

LOL unless he repents right?

October 24, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Truthdetector

yah...one evil kid's actions

October 24, 2012 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Magic God

"I pity them as Gods judgment will come and it will be righteous"
      Ah yes the wrath of a god who is worthless and was watching the young girl getting murdered. Hardly something to fear.

October 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse |
    • harish tekchandani

God is Love. I have no idea why this happened, but I do know that God is infinite Love and forgives all sins.

October 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • TransHuman

And, where was this "righteous god" of yours when it was happening? Oh, right: living in fantasy land. With Zeus, unicorns, Odin, and a bunch of dragons...

October 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • harish tekchandani

Hey, like it or not, God loves you also.

October 24, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • carl

Ummm, I'll go with "not" and "you are a fool who believes in modern day fairy tales".

October 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

You anti religious bigots weaken your own case by being so obnoxious. If you actually had conviction that what you believe is true, you would not need to bully anyone by acting like a rabid pack of feral canines. Just let people believe or not, it is a free country. Stop attacking people like some atheist equivalent of the Taliban.

October 24, 2012 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |