October 24th, 2012

Ohio fast food employee is fired after fleeing robber

Mary Archer had been held up twice before at the Arby’s restaurant in Fairborn, Ohio, where she was the manager on duty, her daughter said. She came away unscathed both times.

But after the third robbery Friday, when a man with a knife entered the store and demanded the assistant manager turn over the restaurant’s money, her boss fired her.

“I just never thought that this would happen to me, especially since my life was at stake,” she told CNN affiliate WHIO.

Archer was terminated for staying at the restaurant by herself, “long after hours,” which is in violation of Arby’s franchise security policy, said John Gray, vice-president of corporate communications for Arby’s Restaurant Group, Inc.

The store location where she worked is a franchise that is not corporate-owned, he said.

Archer was not injured in the attempted robbery, even though she got into an altercation with the knife-wielding intruder.

“I had pushed him away,” she said, “because I’m like, I’m not going to die in Arby’s tonight. I’m just not.”

She screamed for help through the drive-through window, then jumped out of it to get away from the man, who fled. Someone heard Archer and called police.

Later, Archer signed a document her supervisor handed her, stating that she had violated security policy.

It was the end of her employment. January would have marked 23 years with the company, she said.

She crumpled up the security notice out of frustration.

“She had been warned in the past and had received a written warning that if she did it again she would be terminated,” Gray explained, saying that the policy was to preserve employee safety.

Archer said she was at the restaurant late, because she was closing up shop. Then she heard someone at the door.  It was the man with the knife.

“We have no alarms, no cameras,” she said. “That should have been nipped in the bud that very first attempt.”

Archer’s daughter told WHIO the store had been robbed three times in the past six months and that her mother had been on duty each time.

“I don’t want my job back,” Archer said.

She is happy to be alive.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Fast Food • Jobs • Ohio • U.S.
  1. snowdogg

“I don’t want my job back,” Archer said."

You go girl. Arby's couldn't be paying you enough to risk your life by staying.

October 24, 2012 at 2:49 am | Report abuse |
    • a slozomby

alone in the store after hours after being warned that its unsafe. and having been robbed in the exact same senario twice before. thats rather fishy

October 24, 2012 at 2:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

Rico, the Arby's "beef" is so processed I doubt you'd find any instances of E coli unless the contamination was from an infected employee.

October 24, 2012 at 4:23 am | Report abuse |
    • IndianaGreg

**sigh** I'd tell you to read the article and see that the store was not Corporate Owned, it was a Privately Owned Franchise...but you'd ignore me and continue chewing on your keyboard.

October 24, 2012 at 4:42 am | Report abuse |
    • Tom118

After 28 years as a cop, I'd have to classify this as an "inside job."

October 24, 2012 at 4:57 am | Report abuse |
  2. David

Think I've made my last purchase at Arby's.

October 24, 2012 at 2:50 am | Report abuse |
  3. a slozomby

who in their right mind closes up a shop alone, after being robbed twice personally, after being told that she'd be fired for doing so.

im thinking she robbed the place and made up the robber.

October 24, 2012 at 2:54 am | Report abuse |
    • Satros

Who closes up a shop alone? An assistant manager who let the overworked and underpaid employees go home after the store closed, finishing up paperwork that she'd get yelled at for not doing or fired over not doing. The store should have had more security after being robbed -twice-. No alarm? No cameras? And you want to blame the poor woman who was doing her job? Lord help us overcome our cynicisim.

October 24, 2012 at 4:12 am | Report abuse |
  4. cp

She's a nut job.

October 24, 2012 at 3:00 am | Report abuse |
  5. Rest Manager

I can assure this woman is most likely involved with the robbers. I mean c'mon.......your stupid enough to allow a knife wielding crack addict into your closed restaurant late at night!? No one and I mean no one gets robbed at the same location three times in a 6 month period. Much less the same manager on duty. I oversaw some high crime ridden areas and I would bet my pension this woman was involved.

October 24, 2012 at 3:05 am | Report abuse |
    • cuso

I missed the part where the guy was a crack head

October 24, 2012 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Chris

Yea lets wait for the Full investigation , if there is one, I agree something is fishy here..............

October 24, 2012 at 11:43 am | Report abuse |
    • angela birch

Evidently you have never actually managed a fast food restaurant. IT is not unusual to be robbed monthly. No evidence she was inolved in the situation. The most likely explaination is the doors were not locked.

October 24, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • DeeDee

It does not say the suspect was a crack addict.

October 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dead in Long Island

@Rest Manager: Uhm, you don't know what you're talking about, because you obviously aren't at statistician – or you would have provided facts to back up your ridiculous claim of, "No one and I mean no one gets robbed at the same location three times in a 6 month period."

My cousin was robbed twice in the same month at the gas station he worked at. The second time, however, they shot him in the head and killed him. That was just when he had been on duty. Maybe if they hadn't killed him, they'd have hit the place for a third time while he was working.

The only positive thing that came out the tragedy, was they finally closed down the business.

October 24, 2012 at 4:01 pm | Report abuse |
    • KJM

Good point. Fishy, yes...and did she forget to lock the doors??? How did this person get inside? I know that anyone at any job watches the clock like a hawk when its time to lock the doors. haha She had to be in on it.

October 26, 2012 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • Gatorsgirl

You have no idea what you are talking about. I work at an alarm company that monitors the alarm systems at Hardees-they get robbed or held up almost once a week. So it doesn't surprise me that they got robbed 3 times in 6 months. Did you look up local police reports to back up your claim that they couldn't have gotten robbed 3 times withing 6 months? Did you do any research on this woman to accuse her of being an accomplice? How were you a restaurant manager? You don't even use proper English.

November 19, 2012 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
    • Harry

Good call, Rest Manager. That was the first thing that came to mind after reading the article. She got into an altercation with a knife welding robber and then jumped out the drive thru window?

November 20, 2012 at 5:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. Matt

I will be contacting corporate HQ to complain. Boycott Arbys! Put them out of business!

October 24, 2012 at 3:11 am | Report abuse |
    • DownWithArby's

Good luck with gathering a group of followers containing more than 3 other people.

October 24, 2012 at 5:44 am | Report abuse |
  7. MARILYN

GOD'S BEEN TRYING TO TELL AND WARN YOU FOR SOMETIME NOW!! WHEN YOU GET ONE WARNING, THAT IS YOUR SIGNAL TO GO, DON'T WAIT AROUND !! THAT DRY BEEF AND THAT HARD BUN AIN'T ALL THAT!!! GLAD YOU ARE SAFE!!

October 24, 2012 at 3:13 am | Report abuse |
    • Melissa

This has nothing to do with your imaginary deity and everything to do with employers being allowed to get away with murder in this country. Republicans fault.

October 24, 2012 at 3:24 am | Report abuse |
    • VladT

You called it Meliisa. Its those darn evil republicans, along with all those morons who believe in a diety. Can we bask in the bastion of knowledge that is you, and only you?

Also, I am wondering how it is a Republicans fault if an employee violates a policy numerous times, and three of those times she got robbed as a result of breaking the rule.

Dang Republicans.....they so tick me off!!!!!

October 24, 2012 at 5:07 am | Report abuse |
  8. Melissa

There is something seriously wrong with this country. Employers cannot be allowed to have this much power. They can't. Period. There needs to be more support for workers to protect them from this kind of abuse.

October 24, 2012 at 3:21 am | Report abuse |
    • Vince

Unions. That's why they exist.

October 24, 2012 at 3:44 am | Report abuse |
    • jayman419

Why did she open the door sight unseen, without even asking "Who is it?"

Detroit. Union built.

October 24, 2012 at 4:21 am | Report abuse |
    • IndianaGreg

What kind of abuse? The woman was warned prior to this that it is a security risk and in violation of company policy for her to be in the store by herself....but she looked at that rule and said "You know what, that rule doesn't apply to me, I'm above that....". SHE made the decision on her own to engage in an activity that she had been given ample warning about.

October 24, 2012 at 4:26 am | Report abuse |
  9. prairiemoon

I can understand staying after closing to wrap things up. But what bothers me is that apparently the door was unlocked, allowing the robber to enter. It takes a minute to walk the last "exiter" to the door, and then LOCK IT. Then these robberies cannot happen. Any 7-year-old knows this. So.......what gives? As much as I feel for her, I may very well have fired her myself.

October 24, 2012 at 3:23 am | Report abuse |
  10. mugzee

Go ahead vote for Romney, He'll protect you !!!

October 24, 2012 at 3:26 am | Report abuse |
    • VladT

I wonder if Arby's now serves Red Herring

October 24, 2012 at 5:09 am | Report abuse |
  11. mmi16

I feel there is a whole lot more to this story than has been stated in the article. Is the Manager responsible for counting the days business and making a bank deposit with the proceeds. Is the manager responsible for seeing that all the equipment has been properly cleaned after the days business. There are many reasons for a Manager to be at one of these stores after the normal closing time. Additionally are there any arrangements for police protection for the Manager to make the bank deposit of the days proceeds.

Something smells!

October 24, 2012 at 3:34 am | Report abuse |
    • David

"Additionally are there any arrangements for police protection for the Manager to make the bank deposit of the days proceeds."

I have worked fast food most of my life. I have been a manager at 3 different fast food places and at a video rental store. Not once did we have police protection to make a deposit. Our only "training" was to "never take the same route to the bank." Which was kinda dumb. 1) The bank was 2 blocks away. Only so many ways you can get there. 2) all someone had to do was wait at the bank. 3) or better yet, wait at the store for you to walk out. (which is what happened to one manager.

October 24, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
    • S

You definitely can get a police escort to the depository if you wish. I was a manager for ten years and always had the option if I felt it necessary.

October 24, 2012 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. James

My first job was at Arby's. Ain't nothin there worth risking your life for.

October 24, 2012 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Gregory Eugene Keefer

James, how dare you sir! Arby's is the best fast food around!

Oh wait, it's horrible. As is this thief of a woman who dares don the disguise of an Arby's manager!!!!

November 2, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mike

"WAAAAAAAAHHHHH ARBY'S I'm NEVER goin there again"

... the half of the thread who are saying this; are you people blind? It IS NOT a franchise store. It is privately owned. Arby's corporate has NOTHING to do with the decision to fire her – the private owner does.

...simple minded idiots

October 24, 2012 at 3:54 am | Report abuse |
    • jayman419

Besides, that lady is lucky they're not pressing charges. If I were the owner, I'd definitely be looking into why there were 3 robberies, each one on her shift, each time while she was alone in the store long after hours.

October 24, 2012 at 4:19 am | Report abuse |
    • Gregory Eugene Keefer

I just saw a follow up story that the woman was arrested in connection with 3 armed robberies at the Arby's. The robber was her lover.

November 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  14. David

"Archer said she was at the restaurant late, because she was closing up shop. Then she heard someone at the door. It was the man with the knife."

Um.. Am I missing something? It's late. The doors are LOCKED (or should be). He has a knife, not a gun. Did she open the door? What the heck? Run back to the back and call the cops.

October 24, 2012 at 4:10 am | Report abuse |
  15. jayman419

She deserved to get fired.

1) You're not supposed to be in the store alone. Ever. If you can't finish your paperwork before the other employees finish their duties, then either a) come back in the morning or b) hurry the heck up. Everyone is supposed to leave together. Sending the employees out alone is just as risky as staying in the store by yourself.

2) You're not supposed to open the door, sight unseen, without at least asking "Who is it?" Especially if she had been a real victim of two other robbery attempts, you'd think security would be something she would be quite concerned about. Yes, a camera or something might be nice. But it's no excuse to ignore common sense.

3) What are the odds that the store would be robbed three times, and every single time she'd be in the store long after hours by herself? She's lucky they're just firing her, and not pressing charges. Especially if there were any strange anomalies with the deposits (like having more money in the safe than they're allowed).

October 24, 2012 at 4:15 am | Report abuse |
    • GMan

I agree she deserved to be fired. She violated a company policy that she was warned (and written up) not to violate. She did.
      She's lucky that is the worst thing that happened to her.
      .....by the way, you don't deserved to be dipped in acid. You made very valid points.

October 24, 2012 at 5:27 am | Report abuse |
    • scairp

I agree. It sounds a bit fishy. I would have had a hard staying at a job where I'd been robbed once, let alone twice. And shouldn't the door have been locked? I lock every door and window in my house now and we've never been burgled, knock on wood, so why would a woman whose job had been robbed twice in the past not lock the damn door if she is there alone, again? She's either the stupidest person in the world or these "robberies" are an inside job, with her being the one inside everytime.

October 24, 2012 at 5:58 am | Report abuse |
    • Rick

You've never been in this position, apparently. It's not a matter of just getting done, It is getting it done while on shift. I am confident that the owner / operator of this location is talking out both sides of their mouth. She is fortunate to be able to make the choice to not work for a firm that is two faced. I, for one, will no longer support Arby's. At any location. Ever.

October 24, 2012 at 7:59 am | Report abuse |
    • SirJonesHimself

Thank you Jayman! She is obviously not an intelligent woman and more than likely an accomplice. All the robberies occurred on her watch yet she still does the same thing. 23 at Arbys and only an assistant manager says enough!

October 24, 2012 at 8:14 am | Report abuse |