October 24th, 2012

Ohio fast food employee is fired after fleeing robber

Mary Archer had been held up twice before at the Arby’s restaurant in Fairborn, Ohio, where she was the manager on duty, her daughter said. She came away unscathed both times.

But after the third robbery Friday, when a man with a knife entered the store and demanded the assistant manager turn over the restaurant’s money, her boss fired her.

“I just never thought that this would happen to me, especially since my life was at stake,” she told CNN affiliate WHIO.

Archer was terminated for staying at the restaurant by herself, “long after hours,” which is in violation of Arby’s franchise security policy, said John Gray, vice-president of corporate communications for Arby’s Restaurant Group, Inc.

The store location where she worked is a franchise that is not corporate-owned, he said.

Archer was not injured in the attempted robbery, even though she got into an altercation with the knife-wielding intruder.

“I had pushed him away,” she said, “because I’m like, I’m not going to die in Arby’s tonight. I’m just not.”

She screamed for help through the drive-through window, then jumped out of it to get away from the man, who fled. Someone heard Archer and called police.

Later, Archer signed a document her supervisor handed her, stating that she had violated security policy.

It was the end of her employment. January would have marked 23 years with the company, she said.

She crumpled up the security notice out of frustration.

“She had been warned in the past and had received a written warning that if she did it again she would be terminated,” Gray explained, saying that the policy was to preserve employee safety.

Archer said she was at the restaurant late, because she was closing up shop. Then she heard someone at the door.  It was the man with the knife.

“We have no alarms, no cameras,” she said. “That should have been nipped in the bud that very first attempt.”

Archer’s daughter told WHIO the store had been robbed three times in the past six months and that her mother had been on duty each time.

“I don’t want my job back,” Archer said.

She is happy to be alive.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime • Fast Food • Jobs • Ohio • U.S.
  1. RL

So it is wrong to have a good work ethic now? She stayed late until everything was done for the day. I guess this is the new train of thought that when your shift is over, you are out of there. Arby's should be thankful that they have had a good employee who has worked there this long. How ignorant are the owners that they never installed security systems. I would sue them for risking the lives of their employees after the other robberies.

October 24, 2012 at 8:19 am | Report abuse |
  2. steve mass

no she was fired for getting her friends to rob the place ans split the money with her.

October 24, 2012 at 8:23 am | Report abuse |
  3. homesower

She was closing up. Had she left before properly closing up she could have been fired for that. This is just a convenient way for the idiot owner to deflect blame from himself.

She deserves a better job and the owner deserves to be publicly outed for being an idiot. The article failed to give the name of the supervisor or the owner, so the best I can do is to encourage people in Fairborn to skip Arby's, but be sure to drop by and let them know why you are going to eat at Wendy's instead.

October 24, 2012 at 8:25 am | Report abuse |
  4. alligator face

ya gotta question why was she there so much later?.....3 hours later?.....cleanup should begin so that everyone is done and gone within 1 hour otherwise "things" can happen that are no good for the company.....this issue was already addressed prior very recently and yet she still defied it?....theres more to the story......sounds like a fair termination.

October 24, 2012 at 8:29 am | Report abuse |
    • Disgruntled_girl

And why wasn't the door LOCKED?

October 24, 2012 at 8:55 am | Report abuse |
  5. Knotty Boy

Well, I'll never be eating at an Arby's again.

October 24, 2012 at 8:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. Lindalou

The owner's going to have a heck of a time hiring someone to take her place. She stayed after hours to close down. She's probably got a bunch of minimum wage whiners that'll say, 'that's not my job' when it comes to cleaning up to the corporation's standards..so who does the job fall on? The next manager will stick to the rules concerning the hours and that place probably won't pass a health inspection.

October 24, 2012 at 8:31 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff

If the whiners say that's not my job, they get written up or fired, because it sure well is their job. She is a manager, if she can't keep her staff in line, she has no right being a manager. When I worked retail,. we didn't get to leave until that place was clean to the managers satisfaction, regardless if it took 20 minutes or 2 hours.

Wasn't too many nights we weren't out of there within a half hour, with a clean store.

October 25, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. thehopemurmur

I worked at one Arby's franchise for 14 years. It was a good company that cared about their employees and their safety, they had security cameras. I transferred to another franchise that didn't have security cameras. I quit after 6 months. All of them should have security cameras, they are not expensive and they provide visual facts when issues like theft come up.

October 24, 2012 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  8. SirJonesHimself

I am really finding it hard to understand how anyone is actually sticking up for this woman. She wasn't closing up, she was hanging around after hours. Her job is to do her job during working hours. She's not a cook/custodian, so what was she actually doing? She was putting herself and the establishment in harms way. If she didn't finish up that night she could have easily went in early to finish up. Two robberies, both on her watch, 23 years and only an assistant manager.

October 24, 2012 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
    • Chae

If you think the general manager stays late to close, you've never worked in a fast food restaurant. Assistant manager may get paid a buck or two more than the shift workers and she gets all the crap work put on her.

October 24, 2012 at 8:47 am | Report abuse |
  9. Scott

She was not fired for fleeing the robber; the headline is misleading. She was fired for being at the store herself; something she had been warned in the past not to do but continued to do it.

Misleading headline is misleading.

October 24, 2012 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • LFeilds

Your very gullable if you believe that! Like many companies they refuse to hire extra help and she probably works well over 40hrs a week. I bet if they check her time cards there would be a pattern that the company would have noticed, but they don't care. The only reason they fired her is so that the insurance company that insured the money would pay up as long as they were following the no less than two people working clause....so they fired her to save their own behinds. Next time inform yourself with the whole story before you comment.

October 24, 2012 at 8:46 am | Report abuse |
    • humtake

LFields...no, that is exactly the truth. Neither side has even contested it. All 3 robberies were attempted every single time this Manager was alone in the store. There shouldn't have to be a company policy after the 1st time, much less the 2nd time. Don't be liberal and try to blame others for her own mistake. Also, which is not in this article but part of the story...she ADMITTED to opening the door for the guy. The store was all locked up. This guy came to the door and she ADMITTED to unlocking it and opening it.

Liberals and their 'nobody is responsible for their own actions' are ridiculous. Get a clue.

October 24, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
  10. Elwood011

While it may sound stupid to fire her, she did violate the rules, multiple times from the way it sounds. I used to work at a chain restaurant as an assistant manager, and their rules were that you did not close up by yourself. Even if it meant having another employee get paid to sit and wait until I was done. This article sounds like one of those media-hype pieces that don't really inform you of the whole story.

October 24, 2012 at 8:39 am | Report abuse |
  11. Joe

According to the actual news report, she had just locked up and let her co-worker out of the restaurant. She shut off the lights and went to the office to close up. When she got to her desk, the guy came into the office and cornered her with a knife. Completely different scenario than what is portrayed in this article. If the story from the actual news station is true as the woman tells it, then there wasn't much she could have done but fight to get away and get out of the store.

October 24, 2012 at 8:42 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bigbird

I’m not going to die in Arby’s tonight. I’m just not.” I get the same felling every time i drive by Arbys and my stomach growls

October 24, 2012 at 8:48 am | Report abuse |
  13. TiredOfPaying

Mitt, is that you? It MUST be you. Only you would fire a woman for escaping an assault after she has made you money for 23 years. Did you enjoy it?

October 24, 2012 at 8:50 am | Report abuse |
    • namethename

In your crazy head everything is possible, I see

October 24, 2012 at 11:55 am | Report abuse |
    • andres

Hey Knuckle hea d read the article instead of just the headline, well that is if you ever learned reading comprehension

October 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  14. les

Staying late to finish closing up is one thing, staying late just to stay late is another. I'm pretty sure if she didn't finish closing up the morning shift would have complained and Mary would have gotten written up or terminated for that. If I was Mary, I would sue the franchise manager for not putting in security measures after the first attempt and putting her life in danger two additional times. Another reason why I don't waste my money on Arby's, franchise or corporate-owned. Another episode for Undercover Boss to exploit poor management and decisions.

October 24, 2012 at 8:51 am | Report abuse |
  15. HJon

Bobby hates Arby's because he use to eat there but he poop liquid.

October 24, 2012 at 8:58 am | Report abuse |