How Sandy could break records
Sandy's strength and storm surge flooding could break records.
October 29th, 2012

How Sandy could break records

CNN meteorologist Dave Hennen has gathered the data, crunched the figures and come up with this staggering list of factoids about the massive storm that is Hurricane Sandy:

- Strongest ever: Based on pressure, Sandy is likely to be the strongest storm ever to make landfall north of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, for as long as records have been kept. The benchmark storm, the 1938 Long Island Express Hurricane, contained a low pressure reading of 946 millibars. Sandy currently has a minimum pressure of 943 millibars. Generally speaking, the lower the pressure, the stronger the storm.  Stormsurf.com explains.

- Bigger than most countries: Sandy’s field of tropical storm-force or greater winds extend nearly 1,000 miles. If it were a country, it would be the 20th largest in the world, and roughly twice the size of Texas.

- 100-year flooding: Parts of Maryland, Delaware, and Pennsylvania could see a once-in-a-century amount of flooding from rainfall.

- Record storm surge: Parts of New York City, including Battery Park City, are forecasting a storm surge of 10 feet to 12 feet, which could break the record of 10.5 feet, set in 1960 by Hurricane Donna.  It could lead to catastrophic flooding.

1. hope

can you believe romney wants to eliminate fema what it would be like without it today? he wants to privatize and give power to states I know illinois doesn't even have the money to buy napkins, let alone rags!!!

October 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  2. HurricaneFAKEPalinbyBloombergGoldberg

I, too, was perplexed. Not about debate tactics - it doesn’t take a genius to understand that most Americans aren’t eager to open a new front in the seemingly endless war against Muslim militancy - but about whether Romney had been head- faking us the whole time. After all, it isn’t always easy to identify his fixed positions on a range of subjects.

So I e-mailed Romney some questions. The first couple were simple:

October 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tony

So far Sandy is proving to be an antistorm for the Albany and upstate New York areas. 🙂

October 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

During and after this storm, President Obama will react to citizens' needs as his brother's keeper.
    A business-oriented Romney administration would not, no matter how much Republicans talk about religion.
    God has no hands but our hands.

October 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Fat Fella

That's probably the best thing you've ever post Joey Pepperocini!

October 29, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

JIF!!
      How ARE you??
      I have missed you so!
      I hope you are well away from this storm; you are in my thoughts.

Good post, too, by the way.

October 29, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Fat Fella: Thank you.
      @ banasy: Hi. It's exciting to be stocked and in New York today.

October 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

JIF:
      Hope you retain electricity, and I hope you and your wife stay safe...and *indoors*!

October 29, 2012 at 2:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ banasy©:
      Who would go out again today? A friend wanted to walk over here tonight for dinner and I told him he was crazy. I shopped twice Saturday.
      The parakeet is overjoyed. He's been sitting at the window all day, watching the rain and showing off his impressive vocabulary. All of us are well.

October 29, 2012 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Hello JIF
      How have you been doing my friend and where have you been hiding ? You stay safe up there. This could turn out bad.

October 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hi, Rawr.
      For once, you're not in the bull's eye...

October 29, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ bobcat (iah) ©:
      Hello. I feel safe, but it does look a little worse outside now. At least, this isn't ruining a vacation on an island or at the shore in Alabama.
      I've been busy. Hope to stay in touch more now.

October 29, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. kenney

Tho gods are for sure mad

October 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. REDFIRESTORM

Listening to some Yanni - "one man's dream" - anyone care to join me?

October 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Nah, I'd rather listen to Enya.
      Not really.

October 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marilou Peters

I'm not listening to either one. I'm listening to God as I am speaking in tongues for my Christian friends and family that are enduring this storm.

October 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Carla DeSantis Black

It may be breaking more than records.

October 29, 2012 at 3:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. doxagrotto

Reblogged this on doxagrotto.

October 29, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Report abuse |
  9. George W

Haven't y'all heard of IM chat...?
    I would of hoped your comments would of been about the hurricane.

October 29, 2012 at 3:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And I am asking after the well being of a online friend that this hurricane is impacting.
      Oh, I must have missed your comment on this storm; what was it again?

October 29, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • Tim

@George W (are you Bush?),

would HAVE, not would of

October 29, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Good afternoon @ banasy, bobcat and JIF. Ive spoke to my daughter 3 times today, the phone service keeps going out and she says many grocery stores in her area of new york are closing. They have run out of the crucial items ppl will be needing.

October 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Im sending special prayers for my blog friends s kel, JIF, Mary and everyone else in sandys path. And especially my family. @ Mary, my daughter tells me your area is being hit also with the winds now. GOD bless you and stay safe.

October 29, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ chrissy:
      A big hello for you, and thanks for your concern. Some items were low in stores days ago. We are all set here.
      I feel very secure at home.
      Everybody I know is inside for the duration. There are no subways, buses, etc.: we're staying put.

October 29, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Report abuse |
  12. 1608

I almost kissed concrete after a burst of wind. around 4 pm on my way home a window fell from floor four,what a day,

October 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
  13. the prophet

I said this before its going to be ugly, there will be a disaster unfolding

October 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • Lucille

Why do you say that, that it's going to be ugly?

"...all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are the called according to his purpose..."

so far in my area, everything is just fine, just a little rain, a little wind

October 29, 2012 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Omg @ l608, hope youre ok? I dont know your location but i will say a special prayer for you also. And im most concerned about @ saywhat, he holds a special place in my heart.

October 29, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

@ Joey, youre in Manhattan arent you? They say there is going to be alot of structure damage to the high rise buildings so please be careful dear heart. My daughter and her family are in the Middletown area, so not close to the coast.

October 29, 2012 at 5:07 pm | Report abuse |