Sunday's New York City Marathon called off due to Sandy
Tens of thousands of runners annually hit New York City’s streets for the marathon – though not this Sunday.
November 2nd, 2012

Sunday's New York City Marathon called off due to Sandy

The New York City Marathon - scheduled for Sunday - was called off Friday due to lingering effects from Superstorm Sandy, the city's mayor said.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg had said earlier in the week the race would go on - despite transportation, power and other issues - contending, among other things, that businesses could use the economic boost the event provides.

But on Friday, he and the New York Road Runners issued a joint statement saying city officials and race organizers decided to cancel the race because they did "not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants."

Read the full story here on CNN.com.

1. wildone

What really bothers me is that Mayor Bloomberg even considered letting the race go on.

November 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

He was right. What SHOULD bother you is that he caved in to the hysterical shrieking from people like you. There WAS NO GOOD REASON to cancel the race. It will not do ONE THING to help people hurt by the storm. NOTHING. Get it?

November 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • wildone

Go take a hike.

November 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C.

Yeah, everyone crying about wasting generators to power the media to cover the race. All you people without power, suck it up – we'll get to you after the race is finished. Patience is a virtue, you know.

November 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

A ridiculous argument, Mark. The media bring their own generators. Canceling the race doesn't "free up" those generators for residents.

Keep 'em coming, if you like. Any reason you can think of, I'm sure I can show you why it's wrong. In the end you'll be left with the truth: there was no good reason to cancel it. Your emotions are overriding your own common sense.

November 2, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • nadinesh

DB - you need more reasons? here's a good one: I DON'T WANT your stupid footrace running through my street while my neighbors have no house left or no heat or no water. Got it? And I vote.

November 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cdkyryhj

I HOPE NEW YORKERS DON'T LOSE PRIDE IN THEIR GREAT CITY,INSPITE OF THE MAYOR.

November 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
  3. DB

THE HEADLINE IS A LIE, and so is the article.

It wasn't canceled because of storm damage. It was canceled because of the controversy created by hysterical morons who were insisting it has to be canceled "just because." Common sense lost to emotion. It's a sad day.

November 2, 2012 at 6:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • sharky

Go live in NY mainly Staten Island and tell us how it is and how happy you would be to see people running as resources were pulled from helping you to cater to runners.

Logic is lost with you.

November 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • LD

Both sides had decent arguments here, but the more logical side won out. I completely understand the position to try and continue on, and regain a sense of normalcy...along with not turning away the (much needed) revenue provided by the event.

However, do you understand the resources (police, etc.) that would have to pulled off of recovery duty, just so that the race could take place? The right call was made, and it wasn't "just because".

November 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

NOT ONE SINGLE "RESOURCE" WAS BEING DIVERTED FROM STORM RECOVERY. None. This will not help the people of Staten Island at all. It's still going to take just as long to recover as it would have if the race went on. What part of that do you not understand?

It's ironic that you're saying logic is lost on me...the reality here is that I'm the one being logical. I understand the race wouldn't have made an impact on storm recovery, therefore there's no logical reason to cancel it. But your argument is entirely based on emotion, not logic. You rhetorically asked me how I think people will "feel" if the race goes on. Decisions like this shouldn't be made based on feeling, they should be made on a rational consideration of the facts. And the fact is, the recovery will take just as long with or without the race. The race should go on.

November 2, 2012 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mark C.

"Decisions like this shouldn't be made based on feeling, they should be made on a rational consideration of the facts."

A good lesson for those who support this president and his policies despite all the evidence it has failed. Forward!!!!!

November 2, 2012 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • wildone

After reading your rants, I've come to the conclusion that you're angry because you were planning on running and now you won't be able to. My heart bleeds for you. You know something "Sparky", it isn't about you and the thousands of others who were looking forward to running the race. It's about the thousands of people who are hurting because of this. So suck it up and go run around the block a few times. Maybe some street vendor will sell you a T-shirt that says "I Ran Anyway".

November 2, 2012 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

No. I live in Boston and I don't even like to run.

I'm angry because I'm so sick and tired of policy being dictated by the hysterical shrieking of idiots. I will repeat for you one more time: the race would have had no impact on storm recovery. Period. In light of that, there's no rational basis for canceling it. And I just drives me batty when elected officials do something they know is irrational simply because enough people screamed for it.

November 2, 2012 at 6:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

"it isn't about you and the thousands of others who were looking forward to running the race. It's about the thousands of people who are hurting because of this"

For the love of God, PLEASE tell me what that means. It's "about" them? How is that a reason to cancel the race? If canceling the race will help them, then by all means go ahead and do it. But it won't! What part of that do you not get?

November 2, 2012 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • nadinesh

DB: putting things in caps doesn't make them true, blowhard. According to firemen and police in my borough, it would actually divert a great deal of your "resources" - but you obviously think this race goes on by itself, with no civic support. I think people who just scream things that they want to be true, with not basis in real fact, are just tiresome. And in the end, the people of NY don't want this irrelevant sporting event running through their 5 boroughs, so I guess you'll just have to suck it up.

November 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • LD

LOL – I was trying to be civil and see both sides, but I guess since you are the one personally designating resources for the recovery (and the race), you must know better than I.

November 2, 2012 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. grumpy 425

cancellation – a sign of common sense

November 2, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

100% wrong.

November 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Goodtymes

stillanidiot – Everyone has an opinion, those with low IQs resort to name calling.

November 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  6. spocksbrain

Sooo, with your amazing and astute analysis of the world and it's problems, having determined it's because of liberals.....I guess you have it all figured out eh? Yes, right wing entertainment Radio is the hero here - it is not in anyway concerned with "appearance" or ratings. By the way - you look more like an idi0t than Bloomberg here. Perhaps you oughta just keep quiet as an attempt to improve your perceived intelligence.

November 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  7. visitor

This was the right decision. As a Chicagoan, the last thing you want in NYC is a Marathon under bad conditions. I think these qualify as very very bad conditions. Sure, this should have been cancelled earlier but I think your Mayor was being optimistic. Maybe he did not understand the extent of damage outside of Manhattan and Brooklyn, which of course does not reflect well on him, but he does now, and it's cancelled. For you runners in NYC, I am sorry for you getting stuck with those very expensive and very tiny hotel rooms, but I hope you make the best of it and feel for the people who lost everything.

November 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Michael

Way to get one over on 50,000 runners and thousand upon thousands of other travelers. Get them in the city first THEN tell them it is cancelled. That way they still have a surge in the economy and save face with all the people griping about the race. I assure you beer sales will be significantly higher Saturday night now. NYC needed a positive energy in times of something negative happening. Now you have this...

November 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • CMA

Short term boost but a long term loss as none of the runner will come back to NYC, and will sue NYRR into Bankruptcy

November 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
    • nadinesh

Well said, Jennifer. We sure did. And I'd further say that it's odd how runners don't seem to realize that it was hurricane that caused all this, not city politics, not Bloomberg, not "rude" New Yorkers.

November 2, 2012 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse |
  9. sharky

Smart idea.

November 2, 2012 at 6:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jake

No wonder he supported Obama – what a jerk calling it off after he wrongly said earlier it was on

November 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • wildone

Seems to me it's more like a Romney Flip-Flop move. "I supported it, but now I don't."

November 2, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. DTMAN7

Definitely the right choice. But only because of POLITICAL pressure did Bloomnut call it off. Please where in the hell is help for these people...I have friends in NY saying people were floating in the streets for goodness sake. Have a Marathon? Hell the NFL should not be there this week...they should have moved the game!

November 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Harrison

Good move Mr. Mayor. Although it was a noble and brave decision to keep the Marathon on schedule as planned, it became evident soon after that our city wasn't ready and so many residents devastated by the storm. Cancellation of the event was the right thing to do and Bloomberg showed impressive agility and leadership by changing course and averting a second disaster.

November 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

Thank you, Mayor Bloomberg.
    Once again, you have done the right thing.
    I'd vote to make you mayor for life, but I wish you'd take those annoying TV contraptions out of our taxis.

November 2, 2012 at 6:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. so upset

Why did the mayor wait until all those poor people flew into New York for the marathon? Couldn't this decision have been reached sooner? He should reimburse them for the trouble.

November 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jennifer

The "poor people" are IN New York! The runners can return to their warm, lit homes.

November 2, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

Because he thought he could make the residents understand that the race will have no impact on storm recovery and that they would eventually realize their emotions were clouding common sense. He thought reason would prevail over hysteria.

He was wrong, and he eventually caved to the shrieking idiots.

November 2, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

Jennifer:

And return to their homes is precisely what they will do. Now tell me: how will that help those without power? How will sending the runners home make the lights come on sooner?

November 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • DB

Ah, but Jennifer...

The generators "can" be used for relief now...but WILL they? Those are private property. They don't belong to the city. Will they be used for something else, or will they just sit unused?

The mayor said there was ample manpower with the police. Was he lying? Why would he do that? I'm not telling you to believe everything an elected official tells you, but why in God's name would he deliberately mislead you about something like that? There are times when I think you should trust "the experts" to know more than you do. Right now cops are directing traffic at blacked out intersections and they won't be needed for that by Sunday. They were available. Period.

The "manpower" to clean the marathon route are volunteers for the race. They don't work for the city and they're not going to be redirected to cleanup. They'll be sitting at home doing nothing.

I'm sorry, but just because you "feel" it was wrong to have the race doesn't mean you're right.

November 2, 2012 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hunter

and then they will whine about the city economy when they just cost themselves over 100 million dollars from the marathon

November 2, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |