Sunday's New York City Marathon called off due to Sandy
Tens of thousands of runners annually hit New York City’s streets for the marathon – though not this Sunday.
November 2nd, 2012

Sunday's New York City Marathon called off due to Sandy

The New York City Marathon - scheduled for Sunday - was called off Friday due to lingering effects from Superstorm Sandy, the city's mayor said.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg had said earlier in the week the race would go on - despite transportation, power and other issues - contending, among other things, that businesses could use the economic boost the event provides.

But on Friday, he and the New York Road Runners issued a joint statement saying city officials and race organizers decided to cancel the race because they did "not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants."

Read the full story here on CNN.com.

1. Kristen

This is the right choice! Marathons are a great achievement for those who run them, but are no way near as important as helping people rebuild their lives. The resources need to be on helping the victims of Sandy, not hosting a race.

November 2, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  2. cb810

Is that really your headline? (Sunday's New York City Marathon called off to Sandy)

November 2, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  3. markiejoe

Excellent decision. The only right decision in this instance.

November 2, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dan

Do you need a tissue Balls McGhee? Maybe a hug? Nothing is stopping you from running wherever you're at.

November 2, 2012 at 5:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Shaun

How about since you have all these runners there ready to run, see if you can get them involved in the support effort. I mean these are guys that can cover a LOT of ground quickly, Right? You don't need some of that??

November 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. seth

NYC does not deserve the Marathon anymore. Cancel it forever. Move it to New England or Montana. Hardy people, not the NYC weaklings.

November 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • nadinesh

Fine with me!! Cancel the damn thing for good - especially if it brings trash like you into my City. Go run in Montana - ideal place for Aspergians like you - you run into very few people.

November 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  7. gary berman

what an insult that a marathon was even considered at this time, Bloomberg is very arrogant but not very thoughtful

November 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ocean_101

While the cancelation was the right decision. To cancel the event on Friday after Mayor Bloomberg and Mary Wittenberg lured thousands of people from around the world to New York is an epic organizational failure. Mary should resign immediately.

November 2, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • CMA

as a runner, i wont be coming back to NYC Marathon. The city can take my money now that i am here, but they wont get it anymore as a tourist or a runner. I would have respected a cancellation earlier in the week, but not airborne enroute to NY w out ability to cancel flight or hotel.

November 2, 2012 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • nadinesh

You don't get it, do you? SANDY cancelled your irrelevant footrace, not the Mayor. Sayanora and don't pee on the Statue of Liberty on your way out.

November 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  9. StrikeForce

After reading some posts. I wonder if there is going to be some kind of fall out now for waiting to late to cancel this event. I'm sure tons of people from all over the world booked plane tickets (or already flew over) to participate in this event. While canceling it was the right move. The decision to do so was way to late. I'm sure there are going to be tons of angry people now as well.

November 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • photogrrl

They already were NOT going to reimburse registration fees for people who couldn't make it, but allow people to defer to next year's race, since it's a lottery system–those people won't have to enter the lottery, but are supposed to have a guaranteed entry for next year. I don't know about the hotel/airfare fees, though. I have several friends who flew into NYC last night, but they have family in the area they wanted to see anyway...

November 2, 2012 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. PaxLoki

so does this mean e will run for reelection?

November 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mamasign1

Jane should be ashamed to give her real name. She should be ashamed to say that it is heart breaking not to be able to run the marathon. Heartbreaking is losing two sons to the flood, losing your home and all your belongings. Heartbreaking is 80 homes burned to the ground. Heartbreaking is having no heat, or water or a roof over your head. Shame on you Jane for being so self involved.

November 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. BRAC

Thanks Mayor,
    I brought my family here for the race from South Bend, IN. I am sure the only reason you waited so long was because you wanted the tourist dollars that my family was bringing with us. That was a brilliant plan. You just ROBBED my family. You should be ASHAMED of yourself. I understand why it was cancalled and agree with it completely, but waiting for us to get here before you changed your tune is WRONG.

November 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Aud

Good lord, really? "Robbed?" Since you and your family are already there, volunteer as a family!

November 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • photogrrl

I understand your frustration. I have a friend who also went last night...but her comment was that if the race was cancelled she would go find some way to help people. Maybe you and your family can find a way to do the same.

November 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRAC

That's what i will do go help the nice people like you and your dirty mouth neighbor. Where will you be helping at and I will meet you there?

November 2, 2012 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
    • nadinesh

BRAC, try to understand - the Marathon was just another casualty of Hurricane Sandy - and a fairly light one judging by what some of our citizens have had to bear. No one did this to you, to screw you out of your money. It was a an Act of God, if that is easier to understand. I know you don't want to be cruel, and you're just frustrated, but this is a situation that is simply out of human hands right now.

November 2, 2012 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRAC

nadinesh,
      Thank you for your kind post. My frustration does not lie with God. It lies with your Mayor. He should have called it off earlier in the week. He is my problem not God (and maybe ELH's Mouth). Thanks for the talk.

November 2, 2012 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Folded

Enough people complained and the mayor had to back down. Now, get your bullhorns and beechez and get your soda back!

November 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  14. stratoman

Thankfully he came to he senses!!! How in the world would you do this , with all those people still suffering . Mind boggleing how $$$ rules people.

November 2, 2012 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ELH

Normally I agree with Bloombegr's politics but in this case (initially allowing the marathon) and still shilling for it ("... even one as meaningful as this... ") makes me wonder why he seemingly took leave of his senses. To allow a bunch of self-indulgent egotists to cavort happily as people are burying their dead family members while thousands of survivors are trying to come to grips with the shock of losing every possession they have is simply wrong, stupid, unfeeling, uncaring idiotic (did I say dumb) and shame upon him.

November 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRAC

Wow. You have a dirty NY mouth.

November 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Report abuse |