November 6th, 2012

A tie for Obama and Romney in nation's first results

The first presidential election results are in - and it's a tie.

President Barack Obama and his Republican rival, Mitt Romney, each received five votes in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

The town in the state's northeast corner has opened its polls shortly after midnight each election day since 1960 - but today's tie was the first in its history.

Explainer: What if there's a national tie?

The result was unexpected, said town clerk Dick Erwin. The town has two registered Democrats, three Republicans and five independents.
"Considering the way things are polling around the country, we may have been the first tie of the day," said town clerk Dick Erwin, noting the national polls showing a virtual dead heat in the race. "Keep your eyes on the news reports, because it's going to be a wild ride."

The town, home to about a dozen residents, has drawn national media attention for being the first place in the country to make its presidential preferences known.

Unlike some parts of the country, election officials never have to worry about lack of interest.  Dixville Notch has had 100% voter turnout since it started its first-in-the-nation voting tradition.

Under New Hampshire voting law, a poling place can be closed once all registered voters have officially cast their ballots.  With all 10 registered voters on hand, the community had its tally shortly after midnight.

However, since 1996, another small New Hampshire town - Hart's Location - reinstated its practice from the 1940s and also began opening its polls at midnight.

The result there? Obama 23; Romney 9

The result in Dixville Notch is hardly a reliable bellwether for the eventual winner of the White House - or even the result statewide.

Although the community typically leans Republican, residents went for Obama in 2008 - the first time the majority of folks in Dixville Notch went for a Democrat in 40 years.

Be sure to visit these and other Election Day interactive features from CNN.com:

See your ballot before you vote

Issues: Where the candidates stand

How much campaign money has been raised and spent in your state

Share your voting story and photos with CNN iReport

The CNN Facebook I'm Voting App

Discuss: What's inspiring you to vote - or not vote?

The world is watching

Post by: ,
Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Politics • U.S.
soundoff (1,019 Responses)
  1. smako

VOTES ARE IN! America lost. A billionaires puppet was selected as hood ornament for the truck driving our jobs to China.

November 6, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • YeaRight

Break out the Woof-top accessories...

November 6, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  2. elliott c osborne

I voted and I reminded my five children to do the same. I have a preference but I am more concerned that Americans vote than who they choose to vote for at a given time. I am a career educator and I make less than 100K which puts me way lower than the top 2% of the nation financially. But, I love my job and I am not envious of any other person and certainly would not trade places. One wife 5 kids 3 grands and a boat load of satisfaction. Vote!

November 6, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rhino

Nice. Perspective is refreshing amongst all the posturing and cyber bullying during election years.

November 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dad3

tie our the gate...setting the stage

November 6, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  4. SPQR

I am sorry I lost faith in the GOP after 2001-2009.

The middle class Republicans are the donkey, the GOP leaders sit on top of the donkey and are holding out a carrot in front of the donkeys eyes and say: "You can see it right ? You can smell it right ? Ok just a little more and we will all share the carrot."

No thank you Mr. Mitt W. Romney / Paul Ryan.

Go try with somebody else.

November 6, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

It's actually not Mitt W. Romney, it's W. Mitt Romney. Try reading a book some time, you'll be surprised what you may learn.

November 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • classybusiness

Nicely put, SPQR

November 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. elliott c osborne

I do have a personal gripe. Dems or Reps offend me when they say they speak for the people of the U.S. They speak for themselves. Let me decide if their voice speaks to me or for me. By appointment and election the President is our official voice. The Palins, Trumps and Matthews of the political landscape can ramp down their rhetoric anytime now. I have family members, friends, co-workers and neighbhors. I do not divide them up as Reps or Dems. I cannot remember the last time I asked someone what party they belonged to...

November 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bubba

Hey elliott, newsflash: They do speak for you as you've elected them as your representation. Didn't vote for them personally? Too bad, start a movement and make some change. Until then, yes they do speak for you.

November 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  6. liberalhtr

Can America REALLY afford another 4 years of Obama and his "Let's bankrupt a Nation" policies?

November 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joe P.

"Bankrupt a Nation" policies? The company was falling closer to bankruptcy every day when he was elected, now it's stabilized. Yes, we need to get the debt under control, but I haven't seen anything in Romney's "plans" to do that other than wishful thinking.

November 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • james

No one said fixing past problems and going forward was going to be easy, or cheap. Growing pains, but growing nonetheless.

November 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • liberalhtr

Hey Joe-–haven't seen anything in Obama bin Laden's plans either. Just more of the same "Forward" retoric.

November 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • foreverhauntingme

Well we survived 8 years of Bush destroying America.

November 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • ER

Obama's administration has spent less than most presidents. Not sure what you mean.

November 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dustin

so those two tied with each other... what about the other votes how many votes for other candidates... CNN: PLEASE REPORT ALL THE FACTS!!

November 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • Eric

Fail reading comprehension much? This is about one town and the article CLEARLY states there are 10 registered voters in the town and that Obama got 5 votes and Romney got 5 votes. HOW THE HECK ARE THEY NOT REPORTING ON THE REST OF THE BALLOTS?

November 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • ER

Bahahaha, what a dope.

November 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • heliocracy

The story reports that there are 10 total voters, and the vote came out 5-5. 5+5=10 you moron.

November 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jack

and FOUR for Paul... CNN: REPORT ALL OF THE FACTS!!!!

November 6, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Angineh Toros

Let's move this country FORWARD! Proud Armenian-American who voted for the president four years ago and voted for him today.

November 6, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ms.Joyce

"Hart's Location ... The result there? Obama 23; Romney 9". The second results that are in.

I like THESE numbers, which were buried in the article....

November 6, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Greg

Julie, I think I love you.

November 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  12. awest

^ racist

November 6, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. doesn't matter we're doomed anyway...

This country is doomed the damage has been done for the past 15 years and we will be seeing the consequences. Doesn't matter who gets in!

November 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  14. foreverhauntingme

Ohh no not Dixville Notch, New Hampshire!!! The election is over now!

November 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. jim campbell

why aren't you reporting on the polling locations oddness like the black panther guards...the obama posters in the voting locstions. it's on tv and in various newspapers....

November 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |