November 6th, 2012

A tie for Obama and Romney in nation's first results

The first presidential election results are in - and it's a tie.

President Barack Obama and his Republican rival, Mitt Romney, each received five votes in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

The town in the state's northeast corner has opened its polls shortly after midnight each election day since 1960 - but today's tie was the first in its history.

Explainer: What if there's a national tie?

The result was unexpected, said town clerk Dick Erwin. The town has two registered Democrats, three Republicans and five independents.
"Considering the way things are polling around the country, we may have been the first tie of the day," said town clerk Dick Erwin, noting the national polls showing a virtual dead heat in the race. "Keep your eyes on the news reports, because it's going to be a wild ride."

The town, home to about a dozen residents, has drawn national media attention for being the first place in the country to make its presidential preferences known.

Unlike some parts of the country, election officials never have to worry about lack of interest.  Dixville Notch has had 100% voter turnout since it started its first-in-the-nation voting tradition.

Under New Hampshire voting law, a poling place can be closed once all registered voters have officially cast their ballots.  With all 10 registered voters on hand, the community had its tally shortly after midnight.

However, since 1996, another small New Hampshire town - Hart's Location - reinstated its practice from the 1940s and also began opening its polls at midnight.

The result there? Obama 23; Romney 9

The result in Dixville Notch is hardly a reliable bellwether for the eventual winner of the White House - or even the result statewide.

Although the community typically leans Republican, residents went for Obama in 2008 - the first time the majority of folks in Dixville Notch went for a Democrat in 40 years.

Be sure to visit these and other Election Day interactive features from CNN.com:

See your ballot before you vote

Issues: Where the candidates stand

How much campaign money has been raised and spent in your state

Share your voting story and photos with CNN iReport

The CNN Facebook I'm Voting App

Discuss: What's inspiring you to vote - or not vote?

The world is watching

Post by: ,
Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Politics • U.S.
soundoff (1,019 Responses)
  1. derriquestuckey

This only looks bad on Obama, considering he was supposed to have New Hampshire in the bag.

November 6, 2012 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Txjack

I wonder how many fake voters will show up this election and vote just like last time in AZ when the whole Dallas Cowboys were registred to vote by ACORN.

November 6, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Eric

Listen to this and watch: The good student takes off or does relaxing things when getting close to their test (plays basketball, spend time with friends and family, chat with friends and approach the test with confidence). Any student who is still stressfully studying at the last minute misses the buss and therefore is a loser. And this is what happen when you don't study well, doing fake studies, or didn't study the right books. So, its too late if you realize that you need to make up at the last minute, and you more likely have to wait to reapply, change your study plan based on the mistakes made on the previous test. If you don't have the courage to do that, you will b taking that test over and over without any success.

November 6, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. elliott c osborne

I try not to confuse my beliefs in God, my religious preference, the denomination I affiliate with, and political parties. When we vote Reps, Dems, or Indp we are not doing God a favor or advancing the cause of righteousness. How I live will advance my personal, moral and spiritual convictions not how I vote.

November 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • dc

So, you are for abortion........ hypocryte!

November 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • finallythetruth

if you really believed in God and were a believer in good standing you would know that your faith must not contradict your actions in life, including when voting, especially when voting, as you are directly affecting the lives of others and giving or not witness of your Faith. So, if you are a believer, you should vote for the candidate that defends life from conception to natural death, marriage between one man and one woman as God planned it, and religious freedom. And we all know that the only person who meets those requirements is Mitt Romney.

November 6, 2012 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • cc

really which party is concerned with the well being of his or her neighbors

November 6, 2012 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • tor5

My faith affects my vote. But the last thing I need is a preacher or priest or anonymous self-righteous web poster telling me that there is only one righteous vote. Politics and faith are more complicated than that. And God is certainly bigger than our meager political squabbles.

November 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • BRA

Wow! Someone that discusses religion and politics and understands that there is a difference. Good for you. I wish there were more people like you.

November 6, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • IVotedToday

With that respect, Romney is a Mormon which as I recall up until recently Christianity (O holy can do no wrong religion) considered them a Cult. I wonder which bill he fits. I love America like any other naturalized citizen, but it is very sad to see us act this way. I have seen so much disrespect for Obama in the last few day, IE: people (I won't say what color) driving around in trucks with an Obama doll hanging from a noose. How far have we evolved? or rather how little have we evolved?

November 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • BigTerd

You obviously have no idea what is at stake when exercising your voting rights.

November 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Luis

How you vote is how you live. It does reflect my friend. Really sound hypocrite, but I guess you are just confused

November 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. spychar

I demand a recount!

November 6, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
  6. No Udidnt

i almost voted for Romney, till i just saw this. u make alot of assumptions son

November 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  7. awest

I find it rather odd Racist try to make political statements,The fact you're openly racist shows your intelligence is more then questionable.If you believe you can judge an entire race of people by your personal experience then I believe your intellect is well below the level needed to addresses issues concerning running a nation or matters concerning said nation.I do however hope that you can do some soul searching and try to understand your not GOD and you have no right to make judgement towards a whole set of people.Have a good day guys.

November 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Arikpo

I want Rom

November 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Michael

Way to crap in your own bed.

November 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Voted

^ It's ok, the truth hurts doesnt it? It's about time someone speaks the truth! My vote cancels your vote out anyways. Romney has got this, thank God!!

November 6, 2012 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  10. H

Ah yeah 4 more delightful years of non-lies my fellow white citizens

¡¡¡FOUR MORE YEARS!!!

November 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nick

Non lies? Are you kidding me? what about the extension of the Patriot act? NDAA 2012? Not closing Guan? please..

November 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lardeau

Cute !!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  12. awest

Sadly if you believe all "Blacks" have 12 kids and sit on welfare then I feel sorry for you,Humans have the greatest gift of intelligence,I just wish more people would use it.

November 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. No Udidnt

u just set the republican party back 200 years with this. I cant put my future in the hands of bright minds like you. thanks for the wake up call.

November 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Facts

Mostly whites are on welfare you need to get your facts straight. And it doesn't matter what color skin a person has if they need help we should help. And I know people who are on welfare and work everyday. They also help protected your rights they service in the navy, army, air focre, & marines.

November 6, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. ted

#1 Moment we will never forget.

Obama making up the biggest lie ever told by a sitting president, blaming a YouTube video for the attacks in Libya on 9/11.

This moment is when he lost this election.
    He should have just told the truth, and he still hasn't told the truth.

November 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • tha steeze

Bigger lie than weapons of mass destruction? Selective memory, much?

November 6, 2012 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • mike

You mean disregarding the WMD's Bush conjured up, right?

November 6, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Mhmm

Oof, are people this stupid, or are they just trying to get a rise? God I hope its the latter.

November 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • madcat

You mean the truth like it was told in Iraq war or dis-closing about the CIA operative. or the latest, Jeep moving jobs to China, or about the 47%. Am i missing something?

November 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

I guess you either have an old timers memory loss issue, tha steeze, or you are a child that was too young to remember the news reports from Iraq of the bunkers full of sarin gas they discovered immediately after the US acted upon the peace treaty violations. Remember the Kurdish genocide? Gulf War Syndrome victims? Weapons of Mass Destruction were found. Next time try using more media outlets if you want real news.

November 6, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |