November 6th, 2012

A tie for Obama and Romney in nation's first results

The first presidential election results are in - and it's a tie.

President Barack Obama and his Republican rival, Mitt Romney, each received five votes in Dixville Notch, New Hampshire.

The town in the state's northeast corner has opened its polls shortly after midnight each election day since 1960 - but today's tie was the first in its history.

Explainer: What if there's a national tie?

The result was unexpected, said town clerk Dick Erwin. The town has two registered Democrats, three Republicans and five independents.
"Considering the way things are polling around the country, we may have been the first tie of the day," said town clerk Dick Erwin, noting the national polls showing a virtual dead heat in the race. "Keep your eyes on the news reports, because it's going to be a wild ride."

The town, home to about a dozen residents, has drawn national media attention for being the first place in the country to make its presidential preferences known.

Unlike some parts of the country, election officials never have to worry about lack of interest.  Dixville Notch has had 100% voter turnout since it started its first-in-the-nation voting tradition.

Under New Hampshire voting law, a poling place can be closed once all registered voters have officially cast their ballots.  With all 10 registered voters on hand, the community had its tally shortly after midnight.

However, since 1996, another small New Hampshire town - Hart's Location - reinstated its practice from the 1940s and also began opening its polls at midnight.

The result there? Obama 23; Romney 9

The result in Dixville Notch is hardly a reliable bellwether for the eventual winner of the White House - or even the result statewide.

Although the community typically leans Republican, residents went for Obama in 2008 - the first time the majority of folks in Dixville Notch went for a Democrat in 40 years.

Be sure to visit these and other Election Day interactive features from CNN.com:

See your ballot before you vote

Issues: Where the candidates stand

How much campaign money has been raised and spent in your state

Share your voting story and photos with CNN iReport

The CNN Facebook I'm Voting App

Discuss: What's inspiring you to vote - or not vote?

The world is watching

Post by: ,
Filed under: 2012 Election • Barack Obama • Politics • U.S.
soundoff (1,019 Responses)
  1. Stacy R

Since we live in America we have the freedom to vote for whom ever we want! I think that your vote is your business and you should not be judged for your choice. I really don't think Romney would be a horrible President and I don't think Obama has done a horrible job either. I have never seen a perfect President in history and I think people should cast their vote for their choice! I am thankful for my freedom of choice. I just wish race wasn't always an issue.

November 6, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Report abuse |
    • Stamps

I only see two names on the ballot for president. What do you mean I can vote for anyone?

November 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • Name*Steven Mc

Stamps, there is such a thing as a write-in vote.......where have you been? You been looking at Venezuela's ballots?

Right on, Stacy R.

November 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Big Daddy

race is the only reason most of the folks on this thread are voting for Romney... he stands for nothing and will pander whenever it is needed to win votes. this is not what you want in the leader of the free world

November 6, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • scott

stamps there is a place for you to write in your candidate....what do you mean there are only two names on the ballot?

November 6, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

The truth is; I have been voting for years, & I have only seen large numbers of African Americans out voting when an African American is running, Big Daddy. I have heard numerous people say you have to vote for this man BECAUSE he is African American. To me THAT is racist.
      I vote for the content within the person, not the color...Just like Martin would, if he could. I did not like those lies either, therefore he did not get my vote.

November 6, 2012 at 2:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

you really think your vote counts and make a difference? Please..

November 6, 2012 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • Guest

Sorry if that was unclear. The lies that I spoke of were the weeks long Benghazi news debacle. The man treated us all like mushrooms, by feeding us bovine excrement. Plus the " I am African American, so you must vote for me or be labeled a racist" garbage disgusts me. Too dishonest, & he has gotten too divisive for me to vote for him. Go ahead & vote your CULTure rather than conscience, Big Daddy.

November 6, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Whatev

Why do an article on a podunk town? How stupid

November 6, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rplat

The sample is too small and cannot be generalized to the population as a whole. Interesting but meaningless.

November 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Henry

Results from polls should not be reported until all polls are closed.

November 6, 2012 at 1:28 pm | Report abuse |
  5. dude

I'm surprised the GOP didn't try to suppress the vote there so only one person could vote.

November 6, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bakslider

The only reason you see articles like this is that the media wants you to think this is a close race so you will stay tuned for their advertisers. Looks over electorally.

November 6, 2012 at 1:34 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Tamakloe Yves

It the same people that vote for Obama 2008 that fairly tidy they mind to vote against Him so 28-14 is really tie.

November 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jen

How is this news? A town of 12 people? Really?

November 6, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. world citiizen

Do you who is the big elephant in the room? GW Bush! there is a reason why he has been quiet and the GOP does not want (cannnot) to associated with him. But guess what, a Romey Presidency would be just a repeat of the Bush years if not worse.

November 6, 2012 at 1:39 pm | Report abuse |
  10. ItsANewDay

If you voted for Bush Twice, it's too late for you to prove anything.

November 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bestwowgoldmakingguided

Biased reporting because they did not mention someone that got two votes. What in the world. the end result of tonight will be a winner of one of two people. When they report california should they list all the write in votes as well. of course not.

November 6, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Reality

Nice clean-up of the website layout. Looks good.

November 6, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NativeBornUSA

A vote for Obama is a vote for Satan and Satan Loves Obama almost as much a Obama loves Obama. Line up for the Koolaid lemmings......

November 6, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • Obamacares

Obama cares......Romennoodle don't

November 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Report abuse |
    • Ummm....I guess so

Are you like...a crazy person?

November 6, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • EveryDay

And who are you voting for? Certainly not Romney, cause he clearly loves himself! Besides being one of the most ineffectual governors he's running on ego, as is Gary Johnson. Hmmmmm, I guess maybe Jill Stein? Well, it's better than casting a vote for Romney, that's for sure! Good luck to your candidate!

November 6, 2012 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  14. whoknew

I voted for Obama in 2008 to prove I wasn't taking on chance on McCain kicking the bucket and having Sassy Sarah at the healm! Good grief!!! I'm back to backing my party this year, now that we've dodged THAT bullet!

November 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Hey Steve

You talk about being judgemental and not calling every white person a redneck, yet you're assuming a poster is black and assuming ALL blacks are voting for him and again ASSUMING all of them are voting because of his skin color.

No one here is as judgmental and obsurd as you and your posts.

Signed, A white lady voting the presiden that will fix this country AKA OBAMA.

November 6, 2012 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |