December 3rd, 2012

Syria combining chemicals used to make deadly sarin gas, U.S. official says

Syrian forces began combining chemicals that would be used to make deadly sarin gas for use in weapons to attack rebel and civilian populations, a U.S. official tells CNN.

The news was first reported on Wired's Danger Room blog and confirmed to CNN by the U.S. official.

The U.S. obtained intelligence over the past weekend indicating this concerning development, according to the official who had direct knowledge of the latest information. The intelligence, the official said, came from multiple sources but declined to provide any more specifics about how the U.S. learned the information.

The sarin gas, the source said, could most readily be used to fill artillery shells.

CNN reported on Sunday that U.S. intelligence is concerned about the Syrian government's intent regarding its vast chemical weapons stockpiles after what one senior U.S. official described as "worrying signs" of activity in "the last few days."  The revelation that the Assad regime is mixing chemicals underscores why the rising concern.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as soon as we get it.

READ MORE ON OUR SECURITY CLEARANCE BLOG
Post by:
Filed under: Syria
  1. Hide Behind

Mixing the chemicals for sarin? I saw some aluminum pipes laying in my neighbors bsck yard he could be getting ready to begin enriching uranium to build a nuke.
    HOW do you premix material. For sarin to be used in a military conflict? ONe where a delivery system for open or even urban conflicts?
    WHEN ARE THE CHEMICALS MIXED. AND COMBINED FOR A PROJECTILE?

December 4, 2012 at 12:47 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

banasy: It's your turn DARLIN. If you recall *banasy*, on what. September 14th this year? YOU stopped me from quitting CNN, because of that little jerk (you know who I am talking about). But you convinced me to stay on. So WHO is causing you to leave. CNN? Other bloggers? Who me? Why? There are plenty of family here, I just don't get it. 😦

December 4, 2012 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

There are plenty of names who is the product of one person; I wouldn't call those people part of my 'family'.
      Ask that person why he feels the need to constantly jack our names and hold conversations with himself, using our stolen names.
      I'm tired.
      I'm not gone, darlin', I'm just taking a nap.

December 4, 2012 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

November 06th, 2012 20:15
    /////Subject to change without notice/////
    Our Local CNN Blog Community:
    Bombo
    fernace
    raven
    saywhat
    Cesar Chorizo Champ of Chihuahua
    Jeff Frank
    All in this community, try to follow CNN community guidelines. If your recommended to be added or you want to opt out, let Jeff know.
    Trolls and “heat of the moment” screen name changers need not apply.
    11.06.12

December 4, 2012 at 1:22 am | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

the 20 faces of eve...

December 4, 2012 at 5:40 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ Jeff Frank, or
      @ To Whom It May Concern:
      I have been absent from class so frequently that I don't know why @ banasy has stepped out of the room.
      What happened?
      I read a post from chrissy saying that she didn't–wouldn't?–blame banasy.
      Is there a Cheat Sheet on this course?
      @ banasy ©: love you.
      JIF

December 4, 2012 at 10:13 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

lol @ Rascal, who are you referring too?

December 4, 2012 at 6:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Portland tony

No boots on the ground to stop any attempts to create sarin. Just a lot of incendiary bombs to vaporize the ingredients!

December 4, 2012 at 10:09 am | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Hello, all.
    I haven't quit blogging on TJI.
    Rascal rabble:
    Replace "Eve" with "Ed" and you will be closer to the reason I don't post as much.
    JF: of course you're not the reason; you are one of my favorites.
    JIF: love you too, dearheart.
    I find that my posts either never post, or are deleted immediately.
    Further, I am not going to have a conversation with one person who poses as many, especially since I know it's one person, and that person regularly hijacks our names.
    I don't have the patience to play tedious games with a grown man.
    Let's see if this even posts.

December 4, 2012 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO ©

My original reply was blocked so I'll try again. It seems to be happening to us all. Frustrating, but I believe nothing personal.

December 4, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

The blocking? No.
      The hijacking and posting rubbish and fantasy stories under stolen ident ities?
      CNN isn't doing that.

December 4, 2012 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
  7. BOMBO ©

Pres Obama and Hillary Clinton: "Watch it Syria. Or we're going to DO something."

The war weary American public: "Sigh."

December 4, 2012 at 11:14 am | Report abuse |
  8. BOMBO ©

@banasy. I too have noticed phantom blocks and deletions to harmless posts. I was assuming it was CNN working the bugs out of an upgraded system. But who knows.

My fave. I apologized three times for the comment I left about Asperger's syndrome, because I thought it crossed a line. The apologies were each deleted. The original stayed up. I don't know. You tell me.

December 4, 2012 at 11:18 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Bombo, I have no problem with being blocked, if indeed it were happening to everyone.
      The troll posts always seem to get through. And stay up.
      I object to the hijacking, and the increased frequency that it has been happening, the ones who are punished are the posters who try to defend themselves from that.
      I would like to see that glitch fixed.
      It isn't a computer deleting the posts.

December 4, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
  9. BOMBO ©

Another blocked comment just now.

December 4, 2012 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  10. BOMBO ©

Let Turkey handle it. They seem to be volunteering.

December 4, 2012 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  11. banasy©

And I was blocked.
    Lol, precisely how lond does it take to update a system?
    It's been weeks.

December 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

@Bombo:
    A computer does not delete the comments.

December 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Mickey1313

Um the wmd claim was an outright lie last time, they better produce some darn good proof for this dog to hunt.

December 4, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Dang and ive missed some of my faves again. Hello @ banasy, @ Joey, @ BOMBO, @ Mickeyl3l3.

December 4, 2012 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ chrissy:
    Hi. I dropped by briefly, but have to go to sleep soon: big work day tomorrow.
    This was my twenty-ninth birthday again.

December 4, 2012 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |