December 10th, 2012
12:22 PM ET

Australian radio network cancels show after nurse's death

[Updated at 12:22 p.m. ET] King Edward VII’s Hospital has announced they have launched a memorial fund for Jacintha Saldanha.

"Jacintha Saldanha sadly died last week in tragic circumstances. She was an outstanding nurse whose loss has shocked and saddened everyone at the hospital," Lord Glenarthur, Chairman of King Edward VII's Hospital, said in a press release. "Following discussions with her family, we have now established the Jacintha Saldanha Memorial Fund in her memory."

[Updated at 10:58 a.m. ET] British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday that the death of Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who committed suicide in London after the prank call from the Australian radio station 2day FM, was an "absolute tragedy."

[Posted at 7:46 a.m. ET] An Australian radio network at the heart of a hoax targeting Prince William's pregnant wife canceled the show responsible for the prank on Monday, expressing deep regret following the death of a nurse who took a call from the DJs involved.

The two DJs "will not return to the airwaves until further notice," the statement from the network, Southern Cross Austereo, said.

The company also suspended all prank calls, pulled advertising and ordered a comprehensive review of relevant policies and processes.

The DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who were impersonating Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles, called the hospital Tuesday and gained information about the condition of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge - which they subsequently played on air.

On Friday, the nurse who transferred the call through to the ward, Jacintha Saldanha, was found dead after apparently committing suicide.

Post by:
Filed under: Prince William • United Kingdom
soundoff (37 Responses)
  1. Fetal Factoids

    About 2% of women who seek abortions do so because they feel their own life is in danger. The other 98% give reasons such as having a child would interfere with school or the fetus color doesn't match the fathers color.

    December 10, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Fetal Factoids

    The youngest fetus to survive an attempted abortion (taking a fetus from the womb prior to being 28 weeks old as is the Supremee Court's opinion; life begins at 28 weeks) is a little girl born at Baptist Memorial Hospital in Miami.
    She was 21 weeks 6 days old.

    December 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Prenatal Hypertension


    December 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Mary

    @ Philip, according the Center for Genetics and Society, you are correct in that
    "Despite the virtue of equality that the United States heralds around the world, it remains one of just a few Western nations not to prohibit abortion when based exclusively on the gender of the unborn child"
    Of course this Bill that failed by the 2/3rds required to pass also included skin color.
    Says much for a nation who prides itself on being inclusive ?

    December 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

    I believe in equal opportunity.
    Every woman should have the freedom to choose whether or not to have an abortion.
    That is, to me, properly inclusive.

    December 10, 2012 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
    • s kel

      JIF the neocon nuts hate you now, lol. Screw them.

      December 10, 2012 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Mary

    And the fetus? @ Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™
    Who will include them?

    December 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

      @ Mary:
      Hi there.
      I anticipated your reply as I wrote.
      I did not include the fetus.
      That was my choice.
      @ s kel:

      December 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

    @ s kel:
    I'm accustomed to being hated by some for advocating freedom for others.
    Right now, I'm waiting for that hatred to be disguised as love and prayerful concern.
    Funny–I have never had an abortion.

    December 10, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mary

    Lol, would you be talking about me Joey?
    That is your choice then ...
    Freedom tho is suppose to be for all, fetus included ! 😉 right ?

    December 10, 2012 at 8:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mary

    You mean if the fetus survives the inclusion process to reach the voting age, don't you?
    As for the Supreme Court ... let the dead bury the dead!
    Sorry Joey, I am really tired. Good night Sir. 🙂

    December 10, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

    Some of the best creations of one troll have vanished.
    Where is our Ellis with the remarkable mother?
    Where is the bad typist who used to drive a taxi and preach to me regarding my selfish Objectivism and lack of faith?

    December 10, 2012 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
1 2