January 7th, 2013

Monday's live events

President Obama will be sworn in for a second term in office on Monday, January 21.  Watch CNN.com Live for all your inauguration coverage.

Today's programming highlights...

11:00 am ET - Carnival 2013 briefing - Carnival season is under way in New Orleans, and Mayor Mitch Landrieu and others will discuss this year's festivities at a news conference.

2:00 pm ET - White House briefing - The debt ceiling and President Obama's Cabinet will likely dominate Press Secretary Jay Carney's agenda with the White House press corps.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Barack Obama • On CNN.com today • Politics
  1. Philip

I can hardly wait for President Obama to swear an oath on his christian bible again. Let's see if his hand is shaking this time.

January 7, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

I wonder if the GOP would have allowed Romney to swear on the Book of Mormon, had he been elected?

January 7, 2013 at 11:07 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Touche

January 7, 2013 at 11:17 am | Report abuse |
  3. Philip

Mormon's swear by the christian bible as well as the Book of Mormon, so your point is moot. (not "touche" at all)

January 7, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I just wondered, you do not have to be such a condescending know-it-all; that renders YOU largely moot.

January 7, 2013 at 12:00 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

Two elderly ladies were attending Sunday church. One lady leans over and says "Service seems long today, my butt is falling asleep". Her friends says "I know, heard your butt snore three times already!"

January 7, 2013 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

I've been to that church.

January 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Good morning JIF, Rawr.
      I think most everyone has been to that church...

January 7, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I think it was named "The First Self-Righteous Church" in the sleepy little town of Pascagoula.
      Good morning all.

January 7, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  5. He-Man Woman Haters Club

I hereby nominate @bobcat (iah) as our official clubhouse jokeman.

January 7, 2013 at 11:53 am | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

Good morning folks.
    Rather a noisy one @ bobcat.
    I would rather that POTUS swears by America & its people & for them. Why the Bible? Not every one in this country including those with Christian names read or believe in the Bible. And that makes it personal.

January 7, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Good morning, saywhat.
      I think President Obama is for the people; and that makes many people uncomfortable; those who worship the almighty dollar being the most ill-at-ease.

January 7, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Philip

@saywhat. Actually, the bible agrees with science. The word "hell", for example, was nowhere to be found in any bible before the KJ translation was made.
    But the all-time CLASSIC is this: Nowhere does the bible say how long God spent creating the heavens and the earth. The book of Genesis starts out by saying in the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. And then goes-on to eplain what God did AFTER the earth was created. So, the earth could easily be 4.5 billion years old according to the bible.

January 7, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Philip

"The natural laws of the universe are so precise that we have no difficulty building a spaceship to fly to the moon and can time the flight with the precision of a fraction of a second. These laws must have been set by someone."- Wernher von Braun, NASA.

January 7, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I find it somewhat amusing that you're using a quote by von Braun to support your position, when you have repeatedly claimed that the moon landing was faked, lol.

January 7, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. saywhat

Didn't I read somewhere it was 6 days and on the seventh the Almighty rested @Philip?
    Wenher von Braun indeed and that is who everyone should swear by.lol
    @banasy g.morning.
    I should certainly hope that the next 4 years would see POTUS proving this and more power to him then.

January 7, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

"As president, I promise to do the very best job that I possibly can."
    That would be fine with me, said with no stage props.

January 7, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

In fact, Psalm 90:4 written by Mosses in the same KJ version
    "A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night."
    The contrad@ctions in the KJ that your President swears by is flawed.
    It seems to be evidence of man kind trying to twist God's word once again.
    Good morning @ saywhat

January 7, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

If you live in the United States, he is your President, also.
      Perhap's he should swear upon Jefferson's bible; keep it Presidential, as it were.

January 7, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

*Perhaps

January 7, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. saywhat

good morning to you too @Mary

January 7, 2013 at 3:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Philip

The moon landing was a fake. There is overwhelming evidence that proves it to be fake. You simply aren't aware of all of it, or you would shut your mouth about it.
    Von Braun was referring to the fact that spacecraft have landed on the moon and the only way it was possible was if "someone" established the precise laws of nature Von Braun HAD to obey if his rockets were to succeed. And may I remind you, Albert Einstein reached the same conclusion.
    The universe is so wonderfully full of design, there MUST have been a designer. That such perfect laws came to be on their own is rediculous.

January 7, 2013 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Philip

My replies to @saywhat won't pass muster. bbl

January 7, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

I always look forward to gaining some insight from your posts my friend.

January 7, 2013 at 5:37 pm | Report abuse |