January 30th, 2013
07:31 AM ET

NRA says it adds 500,000 members since Newtown

The National Rifle Association has gained about a half million members since the Newtown, Connecticut, shooting. The NRA now has more than 4.5 million members, Andrew Arulanandam with the NRA tells CNN.

Read the latest on the gun debate:

Profile: The face of the NRA

Why new laws could miss America's bigger gun problem

Violent mentally ill can buy guns

Masculinity, mental illness and guns: A lethal equation?

Want to know more? Do you think there can there be a solution to America's gun problems? Anderson Cooper looks at both sides of the debate in "Guns Under Fire: an AC360Âş Town Hall Special" Thursday at 8 p.m. ET on CNN.

Post by:
Filed under: Gun Control
soundoff (29 Responses)
  1. Chris

    After loosing half of the existing members...

    January 30, 2013 at 7:36 am | Report abuse |
    • Dave Owens

      source please on them losing half their membership first? If you have no source, then you are making up things, which is a LIE.

      January 30, 2013 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. John

    That is disturbing and even more of a reason to ban assault rifles.

    January 30, 2013 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  3. ronvan

    STUPID! Blindly following the "terror" tatics used by the NRA. There was NEVER a threat that weapons would be taken away or that you couldn't buy anymore! The NRA is very happy. WHY, they are making more MONEY which is actually what they are truly interested in!

    January 30, 2013 at 7:51 am | Report abuse |
  4. the prophet

    Which reminds me to join too, we are all born we the right to bare arms and self defense. To take away the 2 is to take away self difense and place the general public in danger.

    January 30, 2013 at 8:32 am | Report abuse |
  5. Jeff

    The libs push and Americans push back hander!

    January 30, 2013 at 11:24 am | Report abuse |
  6. Dude

    Big deal, so the NRA claims to have gained 500,000 members, this still puts their total membership at about 2% of the total U.S. population. So, why is nobody, and in particular the media, focusing on the fact that this is another case of 2% of the population trying to get away with something while the other 98% pays the price. Why should 2% of the population be telling the other 98% of the population what to do?

    January 30, 2013 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
    • informant

      I guess you must have a membership to have an opinion.. interesting...i never knew that was a requirement. Sadly you don't realize that more than the 4.5 million NRA members do not want extended gun control laws. As evidenced by the lack of ammunition and guns at stores country-wide. But yea, you are well- informed I'm sure.

      January 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • ridge runner

      That is 500,000 that beleive the muslim educated marxist and the communist loving democrats, are taking lesson plans from Karl Marxand Hilter's handbooks to create a dictatorship and make it easy to control citizens. Using a reqyired registry is one of the first things that is needed, notice gang members are registered and only thing that stops crimminals is a lead pellet, not coddling and more social programs.

      January 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

      ridge runner says:
      January 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm
      "... the muslim educated marxist and the communist loving democrats, are taking lesson plans from Karl Marxand Hilter’s handbooks to create a dictatorship and make it easy to control citizens."
      Oh, one has to love the internet, where any liar can post what they want, as ridiculous as it is.

      January 30, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Scottish Mama

    Maybe the people are signing up so they can learn to use their guns safely at the NRA seminars.

    January 30, 2013 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

    Those who jump off a Paris bridge are in Seine

    A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion

    If you don't pay your exorcist, will you get repossessed?

    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana

    Without geometry, life is pointless

    January 30, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  9. the prophet

    Some day when Americans become oppressed by the Government, they wish the had the second amendment.

    January 30, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  10. the prophet

    Some day when Americans become oppressed poor and without rights by their own Government, they wish had the 2 amendment and or any other rights that have take away part of a planed scheme., or just evolution at people's expense.

    January 30, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • informant

      some day? Are you sure this day hasn't already happened?

      January 30, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. ridge runner

    Since guns jump into hands, and cars drive into people and kill people all the time. If the muslim marxist and alll the socialist/communist democrats, are going to limit the number of rounds the gun can carry. With a moronic mindset like that, all vehicles should have the horse power limited to weight ratio and all green power junk is limited to 3.5 horse power. Horse power kills people, just like too many shells kill people!

    January 30, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

      "If the muslim marxist and alll the socialist/communist democrats"
      More lies from a 'sky is falling' hysteric.

      January 30, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bruce Eisermann

    I, of course, agree to the right to bear arms. However, this does not apply to the "murder machines" of today. It does! apply to the type of weapons available when the 2nd Amendmant was written...Muskets. All other types SHOULD BE OUTLAWED!

    January 30, 2013 at 12:41 pm | Report abuse |
  13. the prophet

    @informat i agree to some extent it has happened. The the right to bare arms must be a birth right as it is self defense for ranch individual and their family. I have not seen any riots or mass marches protesting to take away 2 amendment or reform part of it. It seems the government can do whatever they want by exhaustive order, why not elect themselves too at this point what difference will it make anyway, voting is just an occasion and a noble celebration.

    January 30, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

      The government is not taking away any weapons you already own.
      Please get that straight.

      January 30, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Report abuse |
  14. the prophet

    @informat i agree to some extent it has happened. The the right to bare arms must be a birth right as it is self defense for each individual and their respective family. I have not seen any riots or mass marches protesting to take away the 2 amendment or even reform part of it. It seems the government can do whatever they want by exhaustive order, why not elect themselves too at this point what difference will it make anyway, voting is just an occasion that happens every 4 years and a noble celebration.

    January 30, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  15. the prophet

    @ Benasy Fine what u saying people that currently own assault weapons are grandfathered in with new rules.

    January 30, 2013 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
1 2