February 15th, 2013

Passenger sues Carnival over 'floating hell' cruise

Not even 24 hours after reaching land, a passenger on this week's infamously crippled Carnival cruise in the Gulf of Mexico has filed a lawsuit.

Passenger Terry Cassie of Texas has filed a lawsuit against Carnival in U.S. District Court in the Southern District of Florida. The suit describes Carnival's Triumph cruise ship as a "floating hell."

The Triumph was towed into port in Alabama late Thursday night, five days after it lost power in a engine-room fire. More than 3,000 passengers and 1,000 crew members lived in squalid conditions after the outage, with overflowing commodes splashing floors with waste as the ship listed, passengers reported.

FULL STORY
  1. cybermil

lawyers have been salivating for a week waiting for the ship to dock.

February 15, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Jules

I am positive every single one of you would sue also. Don't try to say you wouldn't. You're simply jealous you weren't on the poop deck so you too could sue.

February 15, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • someone

Sue for what exactly? People are so greedy and spoiled.

February 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • moxjox

The only thing I'm positive about is that you are not an authority to be positive about anything.

February 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • ausy

yes you are correct, ive been waiting my whole life for something to happen for me, guess im just not very lucky.

February 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • bill

I would not sue. They refunded money, paid $500 and are offering another cruise. Seems like people are getting a a good deal.

February 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • Nite

Bunch of whiney americans. Had a 4 day trip than things went bad for 5, got reimbersed for the fulkl trip, airline home, hotels and oh yeah another 500 bucks each. When in fact if you read the contract. carnival didnt have to give yas anything. Just be glad it was 5 days on your so called hell trip, and you are not actually living in those conditions 24/7 as many of the worlds poor countries people do

February 15, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ed

People make me sick, things happen; People already filing a lawsuit within 24 hours, money hungry people. I can understand if the ship sunk but it didn’t. Could you imagine if everyone sue the Airlines every time they are late or cancel a flight. This is part of life. This is why the US economy sucks. Get a life people, move on, and quit trying to get free hand outs.

February 15, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • someone

Exactly.

February 15, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • missy

Seriously? You equate a late or canceled flight to 5 days on a floating sewer? No air, no lights, 3 hour lines for bad cold food, using plastic bags as a toilet? Seriously? You'd sue in a minute!

February 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Paul

couldn't have put it better myself. The coverage alone has been embarassing.

February 15, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • AnonX

There is a big difference between having a flight cancelled or delayed, and being forced to defecate in plastic bags, stand on 3-4 hour lines for onion sandwiches and losing up to a week's worth of work due to the cruise's failure to get these people off the ship in a timely manner. These lawsuits are a message to Carnival and I know the lawyers dont care so much as compensation as sending a message to these cruise companies that they are required to abide by safety regulations. The problem is Carnival cares more about profits and greed. They knew the ship had problems, but took the risk hoping they would pay out less money in the form of refunds/discounts for future cruises than drydocking the ship for the required 1-4 months to repair it.

February 15, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • GAW

So you resort to complaining and whining the very thing you accuse these passengers of doing. And I'm sure you wouldn't initiate a lawsuit if you were stuck at sea for 6 days due to mechanical negligence.

February 15, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

What exactly could Carnival have done avoid the toilet situation. The fire knock out the power and the sanitation system. Y'all act like they planned this to intentionally inflict the passengers with these conditions. THERE WAS A FIRE....GET IT? If they could have done something, THEY WOULD HAVE! Why is this so difficult?

February 15, 2013 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. jason

It will be interesting to see how the lawsuit(s) play out. My understanding is the contract you sign when you purchase your ticket is pretty iron clad in protecting the cruise line in situations like this. I would like to say I AM NOT AN ATTORNEY, (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night). I wish these plaintiffs the best of luck.

February 15, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kitty Litter

That's the American way.

February 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  6. someone

The first rat filed a lawsuit.

February 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm | Report abuse |
  7. my2sense

Are the above posters for real, or Carnival reps? Five days in a floating port-a-potty and you think a lawsuit is unreasonable?

DId the company do what it could to prevent this? No, there were previous engine problems with the ship. Did they handle well once it occurred? No, they could have docked elsewhere, sent another ship to board passengers onto, or air-dropped supplies to improve conditions.

If I were on that ship, the Captain would have been bound and gagged until a new ship arrived.

Shame on them, for leaving people in such a predicament. They'll never get my business.

February 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
    • Dayna

You are so weak- next time, think about those in the military that fight for your freedoms to take a vacation. Absolutely ridiculous on your part...

February 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • Matt

Yes, there were previous engine problems with the ship. They totally should have just sent it to the scrap head after that. That's what I do when I get a flat tire, straight to the junk yard.

February 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • Chris

The previous problems on-board were fixed and given the green light to go after passing inspection... The ships closest port was originally in Mexico, I forgot the exact name, but after drifting almost 100 miles it came closer to Mobile, Alabama. First, there was no available ships that could hold over 3,000 passengers. Second, with changing currents and unpredictable weather, it would be too dangerous and risky to transfer passengers. As for air-dropping supplies... that was done, multiple times by the coast guard. And no, I'm not a "Carnival rep", I'm simply someone who knows my facts before I post.

February 15, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • SOS

Who cares about your business.

February 15, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dayna

Good thing Terry isn't a true man and American, having to fight a war for our country. He wouldn't last a day in the conditions our military men and women have to deal with....

February 15, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • vinc

I agree with you that wont last a week in military

February 15, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • sookie

Well said Dayna. My son is x navy and now he is a police officer protecting these sumbags who depends on others to get what they want and complain when they are faced with a little adversity

February 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bill Graham

I am going to sue the ship, because of all the hijacked news stories I could have read otherwise. I want $250 billion.

February 15, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  10. David

Carnival already compensated these people, just chalk it up as a bad trip and move on, bunch of losers.

February 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • John

Really, be happy you made it back safe and sound and move on with your lives. It'll make a good story to tell the grandkids someday.

February 15, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Reef

More like Terrie Assie, right gang?

February 15, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Greg

This is absolutely ridiculous. If it was hell, then wouldn't you spend your first day on land getting cleaned up and enjoying it with your family or friends before running down to your lawyers office to be the "first person to sue". C'mon. People are sue crazy in this world. Things happen, I would expect a refund, and a free cruise, and a small token for my troubles ($500 is pretty fair).

February 15, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Alex H

It's a shame that these cases get so out of hand. I don't think there's anything wrong with suing if you are wronged, but the amount awarded should be a fair representation of what the experience really cost you. If this happened to me and I missed 5 days of work, then I would want the cruise line to pay me for those 5 days I missed. But all these people trying to get millions of $$ for "health and wellbeing", I mean give me a break. This ridiculous greed hurts business and makes a mockery out of what could be a very fair and useful process.

February 15, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. drb

I think if you read the story completely there is a reason the people on the ship are unlikely to win a lawsuit. The shipping lines is not a US line...something to that effect...just an fyi..not saying if they should be able to sue or not but from what I read it might be futile.

February 15, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  15. obama

These are the 1% who voted for my opponent. My payback.

February 15, 2013 at 4:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thomas

Even our creater has opponents. You aren't even closed to Him. Stop seeing yourself as a god.

February 15, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |