March 11th, 2013

North Korea declares '53 armistice invalid

[Updated at 7:39 a.m.] North Korea has taken a step it's warned about for a few days: It declared invalid the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War in 1953.

That news, from the official newspaper of the country's ruling Workers' Party, comes four days after the U.N. Security Council passed tougher sanctions against North Korea in response to its February 12 nuclear test.

It remains to be seen whether the invalidation means that either North Korea or South Korea can resume hostilities. However, the North has nullified the agreement on several occasions in the past.

[Posted at 3:57 a.m.] Joint military exercises between South Korea and the United States began Monday, the South Korean defense ministry said.

The latest military drills involving the two allies are called Key Resolve and follow the Foal Eagle joint exercises that began March 1, which are scheduled to last two months.

North Korea has called the annual training exercises "an open declaration of a war," but South Korea says it notified Pyongyang that the drills "are defensive in nature."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: North Korea • South Korea
  1. Name s kel

So I guess the movie "Pork Chop Hill " is now invalid?

March 11, 2013 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. David Woelke

I think that South Korea should declare that the earth revolves around the sun is no longer valid

March 11, 2013 at 7:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. chrissy

I see its another day of Middle East News. Well if anyone cares today in a matter of mins the verdict will be in on Kwame Kilpatrick and his father on the corruption trial.

March 11, 2013 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Now we will see if raacketeering is allowed by public officials! Next will be our Governor! Woohoo!

March 11, 2013 at 10:33 am | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Alrighty then. I guess this is where we start pulling at our hair and wringing our hands, while walking in circles and babbling OMG OMG OMG.

Well at least the north is consistent. Each year when the US and S. Korea hold these excercizes, the north claims it to be an act of aggression and will be dealt with accordingly. This rhetoric would be funny if it weren' t so darn pitiful to see a countrys leader having a hissy fit. I guess his next move will be to hold his breath till he turns blue.

March 11, 2013 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Ok @ bobcat. GUILTY ON NUMEROUS ACCOUNTS! Now maybe they can finally lay this dead horse to rest and start using that money that theyve used on this trial and turn the street lights back on in Detroit. And resume garbage pick up now that the biggest pile of garbage is off to prison!!! 23 guilty counts for Kilpatrick!

March 11, 2013 at 10:52 am | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ chrissy

It is just hard for me to believe that the city I watched grow, as I grew, has come to this. I watched as it slowly grew into the behemoth that it was and, in half the time completely implode.

March 11, 2013 at 11:05 am | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

I know @ bobcat, and its really a shame that Kwame let greed get the better part of him. He was at one time a very gifted politician and was on his way to becomming governor. And not to belittle him too much he did do alot of positive things for Detroit as well. Much more than Mayor Bing has done for sure. Its just a shame.

March 11, 2013 at 11:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Prez Barack

Dear Mr Kim Jun Whatever,
    I'm a little tied up in Afganistan at the moment.
    But I have N. Korea on my list.
    Can I get back you in about 12-18 months?
    Best regards,
    BO

March 11, 2013 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

And a correction to a previous post. Guilty on 24 counts not 23.

March 11, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. goodolewoody

Reblogged this on GoodOleWoody's Blog and Website.

March 11, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
    • stuart

Good job goodolewoody

March 11, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Frank Burns

Bomb those Godless communists back to the stone age.

No. Wait. They're already in the stone age.

March 11, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

Good morning all.This thread also seems off limit for me.

March 11, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. stuart

Feed. Ur people. Pyongyang or eat jam

March 11, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Iraq Hussein Osama

Very off kilter . Does this have to do with Dennis Rodman?

March 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Report abuse |