March 13th, 2013

Wednesday's live events

Roman Catholic cardinals continue their conclave to elect a new pope.  Watch CNN.com Live for ongoing coverage from the Vatican.

Today's programming highlights...

Ongoing coverage - Papal conclave

10:30 am ET - Budget debate - The House Budget Committee considers the proposed 2014 budget plan released this week by Rep. Paul Ryan.  Senate Democrats release their own budget proposal at 2:00 pm ET.

10:30 am ET - Ohio teen rape trial begins - The trail of two high school football players accused of raping a 16-year-old girl begins in Steubenville, Ohio.

1:00 pm ET - Jodi Arias murder trial - After a five-day recess, Jodi Arias returns to the stand at her murder trial in Arizona.  She is accused of killing her ex-boyfriend, Travis Alexander, in 2008.

2:45 pm ET - House GOP on Obama chat - President Obama continues his "Washington diplomacy" efforts by holding closed-door talks with House Republicans.  GOP lawmakers will discuss the meeting with reporters.

5:10 pm ET - ISS change of command ceremony - A crew under the command of Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield takes the reigns of the International Space Station.

CNN.com Live is your home for breaking news as it happens.

Filed under: Budget • Catholic Church • Crime • Dollars & Sense • Economy • Justice • Politics • Religion • Vatican
  1. bobcat (in a hat)©

A Blind man is walking down the street with his seeing-eye dog one day.

They come to a busy intersection, and the dog, ignoring the high volume
    of traffic zooming by on the street, leads the blind man right out into
    the thick of traffic.

This is followed by the screech of tires and horns blaring as panicked
    drivers try desperately not to run the pair down.

The blind man and the dog finally reach the safety of the sidewalk on
    the other side of the street, and the blind man pulls a cookie out of
    his coat pocket which he offers to the dog.

A passerby, having observed the near fatal incident, can't control his
    amazement and says to the blind man, "Why on earth are you rewarding
    your dog with a cookie? He nearly got you killed!"

The blind man turns partially in his direction and replies, "To find
    out where his head is, so I can kick his butt."

March 13, 2013 at 9:26 am | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Next time you have a bad day, think about this "

The average cost of rehabilitating a seal after the Exxon Valdez oil
    spill in Alaska was $80,000. At a special ceremony, two of the most
    expensively saved animals were released back into the wild amid cheers
    and applause from onlookers. A minute later they were both eaten
    by a killer whale.

March 13, 2013 at 9:34 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

A woman came home to find her husband in the kitchen, shaking
      frantically with what looked like a wire running from his waist towards
      the electric kettle. Intending to jolt him away from the deadly current, she
      whacked him with a handy plank of wood by the back door, breaking his arm
      in two places. Till that moment he had been happily listening to
      his walkman.

March 13, 2013 at 9:36 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Several men are in the locker room of a golf club. A cell
    phone on a bench rings and a man engages the hands free
    speaker-function and begins to talk.

Everyone else in the room stops to listen.

MAN: "Hello"
    WOMAN: "Honey, it's me. Are you at the club?"
    MAN: "Yes"

WOMAN: "I am at the mall now and found this beautiful
    leather coat. It's only $1,000. Is it OK if I buy it?"
    MAN: "Sure, ...go ahead if you like it that much."

WOMAN: "I also stopped by the Mercedes dealership and
    saw the new 2008 models. I saw one I really liked."
    MAN: "How much?"
    WOMAN: "$60,000"
    MAN: "OK, but for that price I want it with all the options."

WOMAN: "Great! Oh, and one more thing....the house we
    wanted last year is back on the market. They're asking $950,000."
    MAN: "Well, then go ahead and give them an offer, but just
    offer $900,000."
    WOMAN: "OK. I'll see you later! I love you!"
    MAN: "Bye, I love you, too."

The man hangs up. The other men in the locker room are looking
    at him in astonishment. Then he asks: "Anyone know who this
    phone belongs to?"

March 13, 2013 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

And Finally

A woman has twins and gives them up for adoption.
    One of them goes to a family in Egypt and is named Amahl.
    The other goes to a family in Spain; they name him Juan.

Years later Juan sends a picture of himself to his birth mom.
    Upon receiving the picture, she tells her husband she wishes
    she also had a picture of Amahl.

Her husband responds, "But they're twins –
    if you've see Juan, you've seen Amahl."

March 13, 2013 at 10:01 am | Report abuse |
  5. Name s kel

lol, bobcat thats why everyone loves you, lol.

March 13, 2013 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good Morning s kel

How are things doing up there in DC ? They've been giving me fits tryin to post "anything" lately, let alone any jokes.

March 13, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
    • Name s kel

Good afternoon my friend, all is going well. I know cnn is getting over everyones nerves.

March 13, 2013 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Joey Isotta-Fraschini ©™

@ bobcat (iah):
    The killer-whale story is my favourite.

March 13, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good Morning Joey

It's been a while since we've traded salutations. So how the heck are you doing ? Has your weather straightened out yet ? I got the privilege of starting the grass cutting ritual down here yesterday. Can we say fun ?

March 13, 2013 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. Anonymous

Can anyone here tell me how this president we have is going to tackle the deficit? It’s fast approaching twenty trillion. What has the prez put forward specifically? How much? Where specifically? It’s only our kids kids future at stake while Obama plays politics To get control of the house. Simple question.

March 13, 2013 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Can anyone here tell me why this this same question has been asked, word for word, for the last three days ?

March 13, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

Two days. And because I'm doing research. Want to know if anyone knows better than me on the subject. And besides its a harmless question and u want to belittle me over it. Can anyone tell me the answer to the question without moronic dribble? Anyone? Anyone.anyone

March 13, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Okay, it's only been two days, sorry. and in answer to your question, the President can not handle this deficit single handedly. It is going to take cooperation from congress, which seems to be sorely lacking.
      And if you felt I was trying to belittle you, I apologize. That was not my intention.

March 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Anonymous

The debt is fast approaching twenty trillion and anonymous asks a simple straight forward question and all he/she gets is grief from people on here. I submit a question now. Why get pizzy about a question? Answer it please!

March 13, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anonymous

Bobcat u failed to answer the simple question. Paul Ryan has put something on the table. I'll ask again. What has Obama put on the table to tackle the debt? Specifics please

March 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

The president has actually placed many popular programs on the table, such as social security and medicare. That's what they've been asking for and he layed them out there long ago. They're still not satisfied.

March 13, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Anonymous

Social security and Medicare? Ok how r the cuts gonna work? What amount? Specifics please.

March 13, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I don't speak for the president and do not know his actual amounts. But since you are the self proclaimed know it all here, you should be able to answer that yourself, smartass.
      Discussion closed.

March 13, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Chrissy

Good afternoon @ bobcat. And theres no point answering that question because whatever answer wont be correct unless you bash the prez. What i cant figure out is why anyone would use a blogsite for their research project nor why he would think any of us would be privy to what the prez is thinking! Lol

March 13, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Chrissy

And he posts as anonymous and leads with "does anyone know better than ME" leading you to believe hes a know it all, therefore you would become "pizzy" as he put it. Congradulations anonymous. You can now turn in your research project and say mission accomplished, i managed to pizz off alot of people!

March 13, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good afternoon chrissy

Yuo are absolutely correct and that was going to be my next response. I already as sumed what the next post would be and knew it would be a one way street as far as annonymous was concerned.

So, on the lighter side of life, how are you doing ?

March 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Report abuse |