Egyptian tomb defaced
The graffiti was etched across the torso of the figure in the sculpture.
May 27th, 2013

Egyptian tomb defaced

Parents of a 15-year-old Chinese tourist have apologized after the teenager defaced a stone sculpture in an ancient Egyptian temple with graffiti.

The act drew ire in both Egypt and China - generating a massive online backlash amongst China's unforgiving netizens.

The vandal carved 'Ding Jinhao was here' in Chinese in the 3,500 year old Luxor Temple.

This was photographed by an embarrassed Chinese traveler and shared on weibo, China's micro-blogging site on May 24.

"The saddest moment in Egypt. I'm so embarrassed that I want to hide myself. I said to the Egyptian tour guide,'I'm really sorry,'" that traveler wrote on the original weibo post.

FULL STORY

Filed under: China • Egypt
  1. chrissy

@ rupert i dont care if YOU believe or not. I myself have spoke with Javier, who is also my friend. And as for the chinese hackers i meant to say they have gotten the info for key weapons not firearms.

May 28, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Not exactly earth shattering TJI-worthy news, but my kitchen has been dismantled down to the studs in the walls. The old 60's era wallpaper that was behind the cabinets was stunning orange tulips. Sorry that wasn't the pattern all this time instead of the lovely z-brick. Good riddance!

Good for Javier.

May 28, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

Is this the same mountain that the...er...soaked troll doll was left?

May 28, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. banasy©

Aw. I'm shattered.

May 28, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Am. Illinois is shattered that somebody name "hack" dislikes it.

May 28, 2013 at 8:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. banasy©

Aw. I'm shattered anew.

May 28, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Dan

Such a shame. Great relic.

May 28, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

A man walking on the sidewalk noticed Little Johnny was a block ahead wearing a red fireman's hat and sitting in a red wagon. It appeared that the wagon was being pulled slowly by a large black Labrador Retriever.

When he got closer to the lad, he noticed that Little Johnny had a rope tied around the dog's testicles, which probably accounted for why the dog was walking so gingerly.

Smiling, he spoke to the little boy, "That's really a nice fire engine you have there, son. But I'll bet the dog would pull you faster if you tied that rope around his neck."

"Yeah," Johnny replied, "but then I wouldn't have a siren."

May 28, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dan

Sir I do believe you used the word idiot. Maybe that was why you were deleted. Fortunately he too was deleted.

May 28, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • honi soit qui mal y pense

Thank you, Dan. But now your post is in danger. Au revoir.

May 30, 2013 at 11:28 am | Report abuse |
  10. rupert

President obama is fixing this country after the republicans destroyed it for 8 years

May 28, 2013 at 9:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • Janice

I agree he's saying that, and will take you at your word that you believe it. However, it's not true. He is destroying the economy with reckless spending, strangling regulation proliferation, and seizing the health care sector of the economy. We have record low levels of labor pool participation. He has destroyed the military with sequestration. He has destroyed the rule of law by permitting Holder's discarding of due process. He has destroyed trust in the IRS. And then there's you, saying he's fixing it...

May 29, 2013 at 10:53 am | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

Two guys are talking about their boss's upcoming wedding.
    One says, "It's ridiculous, he's rich, but he's 93 years old, and she's just 26! What kind of a wedding is that?"

The other says, "Well, we have a name for it in my family."

"What do you call it?"

"We call it a football wedding."

The first asks, "What's a football wedding?"

The other says, "She's waiting for him to kick off!"

May 28, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

Ummm no not good for Javier! He may never walk again.

May 29, 2013 at 7:12 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

OMG, I must not have read the whole thing! I didn't realize that he fell! That's awful! I'm so sorry! Oh, my, I shouldn't skim these posts...

Forgive me, Javier. I hope you recover, I truly do.

May 29, 2013 at 8:38 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Well, I feel like a fool...poor Javier. I'm so sorry...

May 29, 2013 at 8:54 am | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

Good morning folks.
    TJI should now be an embarrassment for CNN, if they realize.

May 29, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  14. saywhat

"McCain's surprise visit to Syria to meet with the rebels", yesterday's news, wants to aid Syrian terrorists.

May 29, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

This man and the mind set that he represents has been responsible for most of this country's woes. Be it Iraq, Afghanistan Libyan intervention fiasco and now Syria.
    When rest of the int community is making efforts to bring some semblance of peace and get the warring factions to the table, this man gets going to mess uop as always.

May 29, 2013 at 12:24 pm | Report abuse |