September 21st, 2013

Syrian opposition rejects Rouhani's offer to broker peace deal

The Syrian opposition coalition rejected Iran's offer to broker a peace deal between rebels and the government, calling it a "ridiculous and desperate" attempt.

A week before he attends the U.N. General Assembly in New York, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said he can help bring peace to Syria, a long-time Iranian ally torn by civil war.

In the Washington Post op-ed on Thursday, he also called for an end to "the unhealthy rivalries and interferences that fuel violence and drive us apart." He signaled his desire for better engagement with the West.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: World
  1. saywhat

With AlQaeda now getting pledge of loyalty from majority of 'rebel' groups why should it go for peace?
    Let more arms flow to them.

September 21, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Good afternoon saywhat
    I don't know if you saw it, but I read an article about an al Qaeda affiliate aka ISIS and the FSA in a battle for a town on the Turkish border. It seems strange that the al Qaeda factions would show their true hand so soon.

September 21, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Syria will not know peace for a long time to come, and I can assure that regardless of how ruthless Assad may be, once these factions start fighting amongst themselves, he'll look like Ronald Mc Donald at a birthday party.

September 21, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

Two boys are playing football in a vacant lot when one of the boys is attacked by a rabid Rottweiler. Thinking quickly, the first little boy rips a board off a nearby fence, wedges it down the dog's collar, and twists, breaking the dog's neck and killing him instantly.

A reporter, who happens to be strolling nearby, sees the incident and rushes over to interview the boy. "That was the most incredible act of bravery I've ever seen!" the reporter exclaims. He whips out his notebook and furiously scribbles the headline: "Young Bama Fan Saves Friend From Vicious Animal!"

The little hero sees this and says, "But sir, I'm not a Bama Fan, I'm an Auburn Fan!"

The reporter looks warily at the boy for a moment, then flips the page and begins a new headline: "Little Redneck Kills Beloved Family Pet"

--------------------------–

September 21, 2013 at 1:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • saywhat

LOL, good one@bobcat.

September 21, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Report abuse |
  5. saywhat

Good afternoon to you too@bobcat.
    yes I did read that article there are more news now of a very active AlQaeda fighting for strongholds in Syria. And yes what had been initiated by players wanting Assad out is now a nightmare.

September 21, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

That problem of our very own McCain yesterday opened his mouth and what came out was "its wrong to say that extremists are majority of rebels" or some such idiocy.

September 21, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Report abuse |
  7. saywhat

And did you hear the other, among these dual loyalty lawmakers, Sen.Graham stating yesterday that he would seek authorization to attack Iran?

September 21, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

Yes @ saywhat , I saw your post yesterday where you had mentioned that, So, is Graham asking permission for himself, personally, to go over and attack Iran ? I guess,, like I've said so many times before, "When you don't have a personal investment in a situation, it's always easy to run your mouth." What is wrong with these people ?

September 21, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Well......Israel must be really furious by now huh?

September 22, 2013 at 10:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Thats a million dollar question @ bobcat! My take on it is: they can afford to be sanctamonious when they have nothing, or in this case, NO ONE to lose!

September 22, 2013 at 10:50 am | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

I don't know if you all have seen it, but Iran is making overtures to the US. A lot of people a calling our president a sellout because he is weighing the options. If this is a serious proposal, it is well worth looking into. We won't enter this blindly, as we already know what they are capable of, but if this can lead to at least a cooperation, then it needs to be approached.

September 22, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Trent

People (read: Washington) should always use diplomacy first. Might doesn't equal right.

September 22, 2013 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Trent

Have there been some posts deleted? I was going to answer someone who posted to bobcat.

September 22, 2013 at 7:23 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Trent
    This site has a bad habit of deleting posts. Why, I don't know. But yes, diplomacy should always be the first avenue explored. There are too many war hawks up on the hill that insist even if we were only called names, such as Putin recently did, that we should immediately take counter action. The elementary school mentality of those who are chosen to lead us is amazing.

September 22, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Hi, Rawr, they deleted me, twice, saying essentially what Trent said; diplomacy should always be the first course of action. The wise President knows this, and shouldn't be criticized for it. The ones wishing war have no skin in the game.

September 22, 2013 at 9:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

And please stop deleting me; I've done nothing to violate the TOS.

September 22, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  14. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hey banasy
    It's good to see you. I'm surprised that they left so many of my posts this time. I guess they just take turns with us.
    Like I said above, if there is a chance we and Iran can come to an understanding, it will be worth whatever political capital it takes, And maybe that will be able to dilute the Israeli influence somewhat.

September 22, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Report abuse |
  15. dazzle ©

Hello @bobcat and @banasy, I'm grumbling about not being able to post too but it is good to see you both.

September 22, 2013 at 9:38 pm | Report abuse |