September 26th, 2013

New trial ordered for woman in controversial warning-shot case

An appellate court has ordered a new trial for Marissa Alexander, a 31-year-old mother of three, who was sentenced to 20 years in prison last year for firing a warning shot in an effort to scare off her abusive husband.

Alexander unsuccessfully tried to use Florida's controversial "stand your ground" law to derail the prosecution, but a jury convicted her of aggravated assault after just 12 minutes of deliberation.

The case gained the attention of civil rights leaders who say the African-American woman was persecuted because of her race.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Courts • Florida • Justice
  1. dazzle ©

I see the charming Angela Corey is mentioned. We heard enough of her with GZ. If anyone comes near me or mine, I will fire my Glock and not worry a minute. I have no experience with being a battered woman and I thank God for that, this another insane case coming out of Florida.

September 26, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

This woman's major crime seems to be that it was a warning shot and not a kill shot. Apparently they took umbrage that her absusive husband is still breathing.

September 26, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  2. dazzle ©

Where is my post again? Is my crime mentioning a Glock?

September 26, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

Umbrage ,my favorite word @banasy. Hamsta I am taking umbrage with your cold post.

September 26, 2013 at 8:17 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

UMmmmmmmBRAGE. Just love how that rolls out.
    How are you tonight my friends ? I tried to use some choice words with Hamsta earlier because of his insensitive comments towards this subject, but of course was blocked.

September 26, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

That's funny dazzle. As you were writing your 8:17 post, I was writing the same thing, more or less. Great minds, huh ?

September 26, 2013 at 8:23 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dazzle ©

@bobcat(in a hat) good to see you. Yes great minds and all.Umbrage is a fine word and has a good mouth feel. I find people look at me oddly if they don't know me and I say it.

September 26, 2013 at 8:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. dazzle ©

Now if I can answer your question. Our girl decided to go to medical school. I am surprised but happy for her. She knows its big bucks but she has a great mind for it. How is your daughter?

September 26, 2013 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

Ahhhh, people look at me oddly anyway. But as crazy as I am, I guess I can expect nothing less.

September 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Three pirates walk into a bar.
      The fourth one ducked.

September 26, 2013 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse |
  9. dazzle ©

Taking umbrage about being able to answer my friend about our children. Damn

September 26, 2013 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse |
  10. dazzle ©

LOL and a joke. Thank you. I wonder if Hamsta will get it.

September 26, 2013 at 8:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

Still won't let you answer about Tori ? What is up with that. We need to start a chapter of Umbrage Takers United.

September 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ©

UTA would have a lot of members. Who is this posting as Umbrage? LOL

September 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Umbrage©

I take bobcat at Hamsta's post, also. 1850 called, they want him back.

September 26, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Probably the only reason they want him back there is so they can transfer him to the medieval era where he seems to belong.

September 26, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. bobcat (in a hat)©

Nah Hamsta would be one of those who walked into the bar. That could very well explain his ramblings.

September 26, 2013 at 8:37 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dazzle ©

I learned not to have a beverage near the computer when talking to you. That would be a bar I would stay out of.

September 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Umbrage©

T is going to medical school. How is yours, BC?

September 26, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Report abuse |