October 13th, 2013

Typhoon Nari pounds the Philippines

At least 13 people were killed when Typhoon Nari pounded the Philippines over the weekend, the country's disaster management agency said.

The typhoon struck the country's north Saturday, displacing more than 43,000 people in 11 provinces, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council said.

The deaths reported were due to falling trees, electrocution, mudslides, drowning and collapsed structures, it said. Three fishermen remain missing, and 1,900 passengers are stranded at different ports.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: World
  1. Jeff Frank (R-Ohio) "Right Wing Insanity"

(Add Comment)

October 13, 2013 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

What once may have been considered big news, is now a commonplace event (actually it always has been). These storms are threat each and every year, it's just that now, with the advent of instant information, it has the numbing down effect of being exposed to the same O, same O on a continuous basis.

October 14, 2013 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Oh BTW, that was the comment as requested by our friend Jeff Frank. Is that comment acceptable to you Jeff ?

October 14, 2013 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Are these news writer smitten with this word POUND ? Lately that's how they've described things. The other day it was the cyclone POUNDING India. Now it's a typhoon POUNDING the Philippines.
    Why not try another word like BLASTED,, AS SAULTED, or ACCOSTED or BEATEN even SMACKED Take a step outside your box and try a little imagination.

October 14, 2013 at 11:48 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Well, they already used "menaces" on the India blog, so...

October 14, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  3. dazzle ©

@bobcat, hello my friend. I saw the punctuation joke before I left the office for lunch and now it's gone. It was excellent and should not have been taken down.

October 14, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hey dazzle

It's good to see you my friend. I had placed another joke as well, this one having to do with a city slicker wanting to buy some farm land. But alas, I guess the powers that be are once again taking HUMBRAGE ( I absolutely love that word ) with my humor. Ah, what cha gonna do ?

October 14, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Hey there UMBRAGE©

No cheetin gone awn hare. BTW Herkimer asked me to ask you if you would ask Thelma Lou to stop by and say HEY sometime.

October 14, 2013 at 2:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • Thelma Lou Brickmore

Why, bobcat, you tell that scoundrel Herimer "hey" for me, will you? I miss that old coot, bless his heart.

October 14, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Report abuse |
  6. dazzle ©

Now they blocked me.

October 14, 2013 at 2:40 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

An agricultural salesman is visiting a farm with a view to flogging a new type of combine harvester. "No, sorry son," says the farmer, "my pig takes care of all the harvesting – I have no need for your fancy gizmo." "Could save you money in the long-term" tries the salesman. "No, your combine would never match my pig's productivity – you should see him go – swishing away with that scythe." The salesman is intrigued about this pig and asks to see the creature. The farmer leads the salesman to an enclosure. Standing within – tall and proud – is the most magnificent pig the salesman has ever seen. But the pig has got a wooden leg. "That sure is an impressive pig, sir, but why's he got a wooden leg?" asks the salesman. "This pig is more than 'impressive' mister – I'm sure he's unique! Do you know he can also drive the tractor!?" "Really? But why's he got a wooden leg?" "He drives our children to school and back!! – even helps them with their homework!!" "I'm impressed" admits the salesman, "but why the wooden leg?" "THIS PIG is also a leading authority on organic farming; thanks to him we've managed to branch out, and now our revenue is higher than that of any other farm in this county!! "Yeah, yeah!! You've got one hell of a pig – I can see that by just looking at him – but why does it have a wooden leg!?" Insists the salesman. "Did I mention the publishing deals? This pig's just written a best seller – we're going to be even richer now!!" "Amazing, truly amazing – but why the WOODEN LEG!!!!!!!!!!" The farmer looks admiringly at his pig and then turns to the salesman: Son, with a pig like this – you just DON'T eat him all at once."

October 14, 2013 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

A farmer is sitting in the neighborhood bar slowly getting drunk. A man comes in and asks the farmer, "Hey, why are you sitting here on this beautiful day getting drunk?" The farmer says, "Some things you just can't explain." "So what happened that is so horrible?" the man asked. The farmer then decides to try an answer, "Well if you must know, today I was sitting by my cow milking her. Just as I got the bucket about full, she took her left leg and kicked it over." "That's not so bad, what's the big deal?" The farmer says, "Some things you just can't explain." "So what happened?" the man asked again. The farmer relenting, continued, "I took her left leg and tied it to the post on the left with some rope. Then I sat down and continued to milk her. Just as I got the bucket about full she took her right leg and kicked it over." "Again?" The farmer says, "Some things you just can't explain." "So, what did you do then?" the man asked, intrigued. "I took her right leg and tied it to the post on the right. I sat back down and continued to milk her, and just as I got the bucket just about full, the stupid cow knocked over the bucket with her tail." "Wow, you must have been pretty upset! but that's no reason to just sit here getting all depressed." The farmer says, "Some things you just can't explain." "So then what else did you do?" the man asked again. "Well I didn't have any more rope, so I took off my belt and tied her tail to the rafter. That's when my pants fell down and my wife walked in."

October 14, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

One day a salesman stopped by the Jammer Jones farm, knocked, and Jammer's wife Frannie came to the door.

"Is your husband home, Ma'am?" he asked.
    "Sure is. He's over t'cow barn."
    "Well, I have some important items to show him, Ma'am. Will I have any difficulty finding him?"
    "Shouldn't...He's the one with the beard and mustache."

October 14, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

A salesman is talking to a farmer when he looks over and sees a rooster wearing pants, a shirt, and suspenders. He asks, "What on earth is that all about?"

The farmer says, "We had a fire in the chicken coop two months ago and all his feathers got singed off, so the wife made him some clothes to keep him warm."

"Okay, but that was two months ago. Why does he still wear them?"

The farmer replied, "There ain't nothing funnier than watching him try to hold down a hen with one foot and get his pants down with the other."

October 14, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dazzle ©

Well Thelma Lou it is very good to see you. How are you my dear?

October 14, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Herkimer Schwartz

Well hello to you Thelma. It's been a very long time. How is my favorite southern belle doing ? There has been a lot of turmoil on these pages since last we spoke. The last few days have shown somewhat of an improvement, but I doubt it will last. But anyway, it's really good to see you. Take care and hope to see you again soon.

October 14, 2013 at 6:45 pm | Report abuse |
  13. dazzle ©

@bobcat, maybe the blockade is lifted, more jokes and they stayed up. You have me giggling again.

@Herkimer Schwartz, nice to see you it has been a long while. If you remember, you asked me if I knew who you really were and I said yes. I was wrong so the mystery continues.

October 14, 2013 at 7:40 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Herkimer Schwartz

@ dazzle

It is truly good to see you again as well. The mystery can be solved by elmo and his package.

October 14, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ dazzle

Hopefully the blockade "is" lifted this time. It is so aggravating to start a conversation and not be able to finish it.
    Isn't it amazing they leave these jokes up but remove the light ones !?

Has your husband come home from Turkey yet and how is he doing ?

October 14, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Report abuse |