October 21st, 2013

Same-sex marriages start in New Jersey

Marsha Shapiro and Louise Walpin married each other for the third time early Monday. But this time, it was especially memorable: They were among the first to tie the knot after same-sex marriage became legal in New Jersey.

A rabbi first "married" the couple in 1992 in a Jewish ceremony. They married a second time in New York in August 2012 after same-sex marriage became legal there.

The third time was just after midnight Thursday in the Garden State. The couple helped pave the way there through a 2011 lawsuit that brought about the change. New Jersey now becomes the 14th state to recognize gay marriages.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Politics • U.S.
  1. bobcat (in a hat)©

Bill Clinton is the anti-Christ ? Since President Obama took office, I've been told it is he who has been anointed as the great destroyer. So I guess this must be a common recurrence whenever there is a democrat holding the white house, huh ?

October 22, 2013 at 11:50 am | Report abuse |
  2. banasy©

Oh, what the hey, Rawr. I blame Calhoun. Why not?

October 22, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

A couple was celebrating their golden wedding anniversary. Their domestic tranquility had long been the talk of the town.

A local newspaper reporter was inquiring as to the secret of their long and happy marriage.

"Well, it dates back to our honeymoon," explained the lady.

"We visited the Grand Canyon and took a trip down to the bottom of the canyon by pack mule. We hadn't gone too far when my husband's mule stumbled. My husband quietly said 'That's once.'

We proceeded a little farther when the mule stumbled again. Once more my husband quietly said, 'That's twice.'

We hadn't gone a half-mile when the mule stumbled a third time. My husband promptly removed a revolver from his pocket and shot him.

I started to protest over his treatment of the mule when he looked at me and quietly said 'That's once.'"

October 22, 2013 at 11:57 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Nope @ bobcat and @ banasy "we cannot tell a lie" it was Washington! Lol

October 22, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. banasy©

Jeff Roem, as usual, you are in error. You know I have been married to my husband for over 20 years; you yourself used to complain that I talked about how much I loved my husband and how blessed I was. For you to try and deflect refuting anything I have said by wrongly attributing a hatred for men is disingenuous, and totally untrue. At 44, you should have moved on long ago from your infantile tendencies. I implore you to seek help and grow up. Finally.
    Having two failed marriages under your belt, you should use that mirror to reflect exactly what is going wrong in your own life, instead of focusing your misogyny on people who do not deserve it, simply because you don't share the views we have posted here.

October 22, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Rascal Rabble

banasy you are sooo fullofit: misinformation. the founding fathers didn't come to create a secular religious-free society they created a society composed of religious freedoms...the founder fathers were men of god and welcome religion...our govt is based on belief in god...unlike the intolerant atheist, libertines who prefer to limit freedom and liberty

October 22, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

No. Our country was founded SECULAR. Period. It is a secular nation with a Christian majority. Look it up. Insulting me with childish remarks isn't going to change that; neither is your revisionist history.
      As for the rest of your post, it doesn't apply to me, as I am neither a libertine, nor an atheist.

October 22, 2013 at 5:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

And do you know the difference between secular and religious-free? They are two separate things.
      Religious liberty isn't being infringed upon. Please illustrate how you are being impeded from practicing your faith.
      Also, ask yourself why the FF wrote "Creator" instead of "God" in the DoI. It was deliberate. Their intent was never a theocracy. Sorry to disabuse you of that notion.

October 22, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

our nation is founded under god...there is no historical roots for secularism in united states history...it is a recent notion and propaganda of atheists, marxists, communists, modernists, satanists and libertines...and the ill-informed...

October 22, 2013 at 6:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

You may think whatever you wish. We were founded as a secular nation with the religious freedom to practice any faith one chosses to. "Under many, one" (E pluribus unum" was our original motto. Please look it up. We are a secular nation with a Christian majority. The US HAS no official religion. It is listed in every encyclopedia that exists.

October 22, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

And...um...when you have nothing worthwhile to debate with, your ridiculous platitues come out. Please come back with some substance. You'll look more grown up that way.

October 22, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

That should read platitudes.

October 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
  7. chrissy

Lol @ JR, really? Two favorite ladies huh? You do know its not nice to lie right? And FYI~ i do not hate men. I hate marriage and ive never been secretive about that. I am not the type of person that adapts well to being "owned" by someone!

October 22, 2013 at 6:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble

lol...chrissy you are soo immature...marriage isn't about "ownership"...it is about freely giving oneself for the sole happiness and love of another...and of course...to procreate...so many people don't do that when they say "i do"

October 22, 2013 at 6:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Well, now you're going to deny the elderly the right to marry, RR? Do you think a fertility test should be given before a license is given out? How quaint. Are you positing that only Church weddings are valid, and that millions of couples are not legally wed? And do you think you can answer those questions without your usual hyperbole and insults?

October 22, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

And if you paid attention you might notice most of my friends are male so its pretty clear i don't hate men. Outside of friendship thats my only interest. Ive already had all the children i plan on and my soulmates are my pets.

October 22, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

Oh and unlike you @ Jeff Roem, i try to never repeat my mistakes! Hence~it only took one decade long marriage for me to learn that it just wasn't meant for me. Im not going to apologise to you or anyone else because i decided that to stay with my husband meant lifelong abuse and that was NOT my life dream! Not only was i suffering but my children were also. It made more sense to get out while i could and i had a very good support team in my in laws! God bless them both! Now i hope you can focus on yourself now instead of trashing me! Have a nice night!

October 22, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
    • wut

I'm glad you were able to get out of a bad relationship. Nothing but horror stories to be heard out of bad relationships.

October 22, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Really? @ Rascal. I was talking about MY marriage not some story book fantasy! Im imature because i wasn't willing to be someones punching bag? Or to be used for batting practise? And i was told quite regular that i WAS his property! Pretty easy for you to judge me huh? But im the one thats "immature"? Thanks.

October 22, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rupert

*facepalm*

October 22, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

Just a point that Rascal Rabble may want to look up. These are facts, not talking points.

One of the many attacks on our country from the Religious Right is the claim that our country is a Christian Nation...not just that the majority of people are Christians, but that the country itself was founded by Christians, for Christians. However, a little research into American history will show that this statement is a lie. Those people who spread this lie are known as Christian Revisionists. They are attempting to rewrite history, in much the same way as holocaust deniers are. The men responsible for building the foundation of the United States were men of The Enlightenment, not men of Christianity. They were Deists who did not believe the bible was true. They were Freethinkers who relied on their reason, not their faith.
    If the U.S. was founded on the Christian religion, the Const itution would clearly say so–but it does not. Nowhere does the Const itution say: "The United States is a Christian Nation", or anything even close to that. In fact, the words "Jesus Christ, Christianity, Bible, Creator, Divine, and God" are never mentioned in the Const itution– not even once. Nowhere in the Const itution is religion mentioned, except in exclusionary terms. When the Founders wrote the nation's Const itution, they specified that "no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." (Article 6, section 3) This provision was radical in its day– giving equal citizenship to believers and non-believers alike. They wanted to ensure that no religion could make the claim of being the official, national religion, such as England had.

October 22, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

One more interesting thing about our founding fathers

None of them were atheists, they were however all secualrists (meaning they believed that church and state should be seperate, to each his own.) but the personal beliefs of the founding fathers fell into three religious categories: first, the smallest group, founders who had left their Judeo-Christian heritages and become advocates of the enlightenment religion of nature and reason called "Deism" like Thomas Paine and Ethan Allen who believed in a supreme being who laid the foundations of the universe but doesn't intervene to break its' laws (meaning in the Deist' point of view it is unreasonable to believe in a personal god or believe in the existence of miracles which defy natural laws) The second largest group consisted of the founders who remained practicing Christians. They retained a supernaturalist world view, a belief in the divinity of Jesus Christ, and an adherence to the teachings of their denomination. These founders included Patrick Henry, John Jay, and Samuel Adams. The largest group , consisted of founders who retained Christian loyalties and practice but were influenced by Deism. Like John Adams, George Washington, James Monroe and Benjamin Franklin.

October 22, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

My dear Rawr, I fear that your words will fall of deaf ears. I have been trying to say the same thing all along; you, however, did so much more eloquently than I did. The fact remains: the US is a SECULAR nation; the separation clause was written for a reason. The FF were wise, even if, 250 years later, the revisionists are not.

October 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

Now being blocked.

October 22, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

And it's kind of worrisome at the possibility of these "revisionists gaining the ultimate post of power and a majority in both houses. We would get our own version of rule by religious decree.

October 22, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

If they are the Constitutionalists they always proclaim themselves to be, they should understand the separation clause, and it will be struck down in the Supreme Court. To great taxpayer expense.

October 22, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

And knowing now the objectives of this group, they won't care how much it costs us as long as they think they can get their way.

October 22, 2013 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

And yet they tout themselves as the "fiscally responsible" ones. Sure. With programs they don't like, that is.

October 22, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Thank you @ wut, and me too! And i ended up the winner while he is still the same loser he always was!

October 22, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Holy chamolie @ banasy! 15 children?? Whoa! I like kids but dang, thats too many to even think about lol. And helloooo @ bobcat! Good to see you my dear! How are you and the missus?

October 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Yes, Chrissy; no kidding. Putting pretty much to rest RR's notion that George was illicit with anyone other than his wife.

October 22, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

Helloooo chrissy. I am proud of you girl on making that great escape. No woman for any reason deserves that type of treatment.
      But anyway, my wife and I are doing great. We're getting trady ro make a trip up to Kentucky.. Just love it up in the mountains.

October 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. chrissy

Lol @ banasy im afraid "that one" will never admit to being wrong nor will she ever apologise! She will just stop posting for awhile and hope its all forgotten later! SSDD, DW, DM! Lol

October 22, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I am reminded of that quote:
      “I like your Christ;
      I do not like your Christians.
      Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.‚ÄĚ