October 21st, 2013

Same-sex marriages start in New Jersey

Marsha Shapiro and Louise Walpin married each other for the third time early Monday. But this time, it was especially memorable: They were among the first to tie the knot after same-sex marriage became legal in New Jersey.

A rabbi first "married" the couple in 1992 in a Jewish ceremony. They married a second time in New York in August 2012 after same-sex marriage became legal there.

The third time was just after midnight Thursday in the Garden State. The couple helped pave the way there through a 2011 lawsuit that brought about the change. New Jersey now becomes the 14th state to recognize gay marriages.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Politics • U.S.
  1. bobcat (in a hat)©

One Sunday a pastor asked his congregation to consider giving a little extra in the offering plate. He said that whoever gave the most would be able to pick out three hymns.
    After the offering plates were passed, the pastor glanced down and noticed that someone had contributed a $1,000 bill. He was so excited that he immediately shared his joy with his congregation, and said he'd like to personally thank the person who had placed the money in the plate.

A very quiet, elderly, saintly widow shyly raised her hand. The pastor asked her to come to the front. Slowly she made her way to the pastor. He told her how wonderful it was that she gave so much and asked her to pick out three hymns.

Her eyes brightened as she looked over the congregation, pointed to the three handsomest men in the building and said, "I'll take him and him and him."

October 24, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I didn't see this one before; too funny!

October 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan Jiminez

CNNmoney "The cuts, totaling $5 billion, will mean less money for groceries for millions of people who rely on food stamps." Whatever happened to people relying on themselves? Just sad that fourty seven million Americans are on food stamps. Talk about a crutch. Sad sad sad

October 25, 2013 at 2:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

What stinks is that many of then work full time at places like Walmart and still have to be on SNAP. Yeah, those total slackers. Bring back manufacturing to this country and stop rewarding corporations who outsource, and then hoard money in offshore banks.

October 25, 2013 at 3:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan Jiminez

They don't HAVE to be on SNAP. It's called hard work and dedication. Something that has been lost in America for quite some time now. Why work hard when the govt will wipe your butt at every turn? That's the crux of the issue not walmart

October 25, 2013 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

SNAP fraud is about 2-3% of total cases. Most of the working poor have SNAP to feed their CHILDREN. You would cut off 97-98% of hungry people to get to the 2-3%? Wow. Nice.

October 25, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Walmart is the largest employer in the US. Not paying a living wage is most certainly part of the problem. We CANNOT sustain and economy that is service-based only. Which goes to the heart of my above post.

October 25, 2013 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

FAMOUS LAST WORDS

1.I'll get a world record for this.
    2.Let me reach in and get your watch out of the printing press.
    3.It's fireproof.
    4.He's probably just hibernating.
    5.I'm making a citizen's arrest.
    6.So, you're a cannibal.
    7.It's probably just a rash.
    8.Yeah, I made the deciding vote on the jury, so what of it?
    9.The odds of that happening have to be a million-to-one!
    10.Pull the pin and count to what?
    11.Which wire was I supposed to cut?
    12.I wonder where the mother bear is.
    13.I've seen this done on TV.
    14.These are the good kind of mushrooms.
    15.I'll hold it and you light the fuse.
    16.Funny, you look just like Charles Manson.
    17.Rat poison only kills rats.
    18.It can't possibly rain for forty days and nights.
    19.This doesn't taste right.
    20.I can make this light before it changes.
    21.Nice doggie.
    22.I can do that with my eyes closed.
    23.Well, we've made it this far.
    24.That's odd.
    25.Don't be so superst itious!

October 24, 2013 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |

I like #24.
      May I add one?
      26. "Trust me." Someone utters that to me, I run! I have never had anything good happen to me after some say that to me...

October 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

Also #27 "I've done that 100 times."

October 24, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

28. What can possibly go wrong?

October 24, 2013 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

# 29 I never get lost.

October 24, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

# 30 Hey everybody, watch this.

October 24, 2013 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Lol. A take off of "Look, Ma, no hands!"

October 24, 2013 at 6:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan Jiminez

Well I see the denial talk. We'll shall see how this leadership plays out. IDE fire anyone that failed me at the tune of one billion dollars.

October 25, 2013 at 2:19 am | Report abuse |

???????

October 25, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

# 31. I smell gas.

October 25, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
    • George Zimmerman

Can I play too?

# 32. "You're gonna die tonight."

Ha ha ha. This is fun.

October 25, 2013 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
    • not funny, but topical

# 33. Teacher, why is the scary man shooting all the kids? Where did he get those guns?

October 25, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • not funny, but topical

# 34. I don't know Timmy, but you can thank the NRA for making it easy for him to get those guns.

October 25, 2013 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
    • NRA4EVER

If Timmy was allowed to go to school armed, he'd still be alive today. Just sayin.

October 25, 2013 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

One day in the Garden of Eden, Eve calls out to God.
    "Lord, I have a problem!" "What's the problem, Eve?"

"Lord, I know you created me and all of this beautiful garden and all of these amazing animals and that hilarious comedic snake, but I'm just not happy."

"Why is that, Eve?" came the reply from above. "Lord, I am lonely, and I'm sick to death of apples."

"Well Eve, in that case, I have a solution. I shall create a man for you."

"What's a man, Lord?" "Man will be a flawed creature, with many wreteched traits. He'll lie, cheat and be vainglorious; all in all, he'll give you a hard time.

But... he'll be bigger, stronger, and will like to hunt and kill things. He will look silly when he's aroused, but since you've been complaining, I'll make him in such a way that he will satisfy your physical needs.

He will be witless and will revel in childish things like fighting and kicking a ball about. He won't be too smart, so he'll also need your advice to think properly."

"Sounds wonderful!" says Eve, " but what's the catch, Lord?"

Well... you can have him on one condition."

"What's that, Lord?" "As I said, he'll be proud, arrogant, and self-admiring... So you'll have to let him believe that I made him first. Just remember, it's our little secret... You know, woman to woman."

October 24, 2013 at 4:15 pm | Report abuse |

¤Like.

October 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

A man walks into a bar and sees a man sitting beside a 12 inch pianist. He walks up to the man and says, 'That's amazing how did you get that.' The man pulls out a bottle and tells him to rub it and make a wish. So he rubs the bottle and a puff of smoke pops out and grants him one wish. So the man thinks and says, 'I wish I had a million bucks.' The genie says, "OK, go outside and your wish will be granted."
    So the man goes outside and all he finds is ducks filling the sky and roads. He goes back in and tells the man what happend and the man says, 'I know, do you really think I wanted a 12 inch pianist.'

October 24, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Eye halve a spelling chequer It came with my pea sea It plainly marques four my revue Miss steaks eye kin knot sea. Eye strike a key and type a word And weight four it two say Weather eye am wrong oar write It shows me strait a weigh. As soon as a mist ache is maid It nose bee fore two long And eye can put the error rite Its rare lea ever wrong. Eye have run this poem threw it I am shore your pleased two no Its letter perfect awl the weigh My chequer tolled me sew.

October 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I have seen posts such as these by people...I ralize yours is a joke, but theirs aren't...yoy.

October 24, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

How are you doing banasy ? This story has been up so long, I felt it was time to stir the pot. It's amazing how that item went from gay marriage to the beliefs of our founding fathers.

October 24, 2013 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I'm doing well, Rawr, and you? Yeah, these types of stories tend to run the gamut of topics; especially when TJI doesn't post new stories.

October 24, 2013 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. rupert

READ MY LIPS
    NO MORE STEALING NAMES

October 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

@ bobcat, as much joy that you bring to us daily you should have a seat reserved in heaven! And most certainly shouldve recieved a fat check from cnn by now! Guess we are gonna have to write their bookeeper huh?

October 24, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Report abuse |
    • dazzle ¬©

I second that Chrissy, bobcat you rock sir.

October 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ chrissy
    If I am able to put a smile on the face of my friends here and alleviate some tension or gretvance, even for a short time, then I have succeeded in what I set out to do. And that's all the payment I ever need. Always glad to be there when I can.

October 24, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

And hello to you dazzle. I thank you very much ma'am. I've got to say that all of you inspire me.

October 24, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. chrissy

Thats the difference between you (Juan) and most self respecting humans (Obama). Self respecting people cannot be bought. Not even for one billion dollars!

October 25, 2013 at 8:08 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Adelson and Koch say they can. Just not the POTUS.

October 25, 2013 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. rupert

And then it was erie. Not even a mouse was stirring.

October 25, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

What is up with this no new news page ? I guess the TJI staff has had their hours cut so CNN wouldn't have to meet the standards of that damn obamacare mandate.

October 25, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

You people do realize that this new law is going to contribute to the total ruination of this country, right ? I mean if you are a corporation, ("Corporations are people too, my friend") you are going to do whatever you have to in order to protect your bottom line. (Which by the way seems to get higher year.) So I guess the TJI staffers are now feeling the pinch as well.

October 25, 2013 at 1:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

And did you see the story about Wolf Blitzer hosting a 90 min. show where they had three (3) normal, everyday people like you and me sit at a computer and try to navigate the ACA website ? And they used a countdown clock. I'm wondering just how many people actually watched it ? I'd say probably a few mil. And the majority were probably totally enthralled.

October 25, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. NRA4EVER

If everyone was armed, all the time, no one would ever get murdered. Think about it.

October 25, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. new here

Who is Jeff Roem?

October 25, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. new here

HAHAHA. A rabbit married them the first time. HAHAHA.

October 25, 2013 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |