November 8th, 2013

Super Typhoon Haiyan hits central Philippines

With 25 million people in its path, Super Typhoon Haiyan - one of the strongest storms recorded on the planet - smashed into the Philippines on Friday morning.

As the storm plowed across the cluster of islands in the heart of the country, casualties were reported, more than 100,000 people took shelter in evacuation centers and hundreds of flights were canceled.

The storm brought tremendously powerful winds roaring ashore as it made landfall in the province of Eastern Visayas, disrupting communications with a major city in its path.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Weather • World
  1. saywhat

Settling Iran issue by negotiations is imperative for world peace and in America's geopolitical & economic interests.
    Those who are working to destroy this process should be considered anti American. Lets get on the phone to our reps and give them a peace of our mind.

November 8, 2013 at 11:59 am | Report abuse |
  2. saywhat

Why should we see our top public officials and politicians running to the court of netanyahu to declare allegiance? This is embarrassing.
    Time to stop this nonsense and look out for our interests.

November 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse |
  3. banasy©

@JIF: are you all right, dear heart? Have I missed something?
    And be vigilant. Hagen is enraged today.

November 8, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

The only posts of Joeys that i saw or responded to are the ones that are still here! And they sure appear to me to be the genuine article! I could be wrong though as i don't claim to be perfect! And FACTS were posted yesterday, by me, about the ACA, not that i have to explain to you. If you don't like them don't read them, that would be my advice to you. And as with any new Law, there will be wrinkles initially but thats how you learn, trial and error!

November 8, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

The only posts of Joeys that i saw or responded to are the ones that are still here! And they sure appear to me to be the real McCoy! I could be wrong though as i don't claim to be perfect! And FACTS were posted yesterday, by me, about the ACA, not that i have to explain to you. If you don't like them don't read them, that would be my advice to you. And as with any new Law, there will be wrinkles in the beginning, but thats how you learn, trial and error!

November 8, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Report abuse |
  6. chrissy

Hmmm the Joey posts that i read and responded to sure looked like the real mccoy to me but i may be wrong, ive never claimed to be perfect. Not that i have to explain myself to you! As for my posts yesterday on ACA, those were facts and i spose if you don't like them my advice would be, don't read them!

November 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

The Pope met with his cardinals to discuss a proposal from Benjamin Netanyahu, the leader of Israel.
    "Your Holiness," said one of the Cardinals, "Mr. Netanyahu wants to challenge you to a game of golf to show the friendship and ecumenical spirit shared by the Jewish and Catholic faiths."
    The Pope thought it was a good idea, but he had never held a golf club in his hand, "Have we not," he asked, "a cardinal who can represent me against the leader of Israel?"
    "None that plays golf very well," a cardinal said. "But," he added, "there is a man named Jack Nicklaus, an American golfer who is a devout Catholic. We can offer to make him a cardinal, and then ask him to play Benjamin Netanyahu as
    your personal representative. In addition to showing our spirit of cooperation, we'll also win the match."
    Everyone agreed it was a good idea. The call was made. Of course Nicklaus was honored, and agreed to play. The day after the match, Nicklaus reported to the Vatican to inform the Pope of the result.
    "I have some good news and some bad news, Your Holiness," said the golfer.
    "Tell me the good news first, Cardinal Nicklaus," said the Pope.
    "Well, Your Holiness, I don't like to brag, but even though I've played some pretty terrific rounds of golf in my life, this was the best I have ever played, by far. I must have been inspired from above. My drives were long and true, my irons were accurate and purposeful and my putting was perfect. With all due respect, my play was truly miraculous."
    "And the bad news?" the Pope asked.
    Nicklaus sighed. "I lost to Rabbi Tiger Woods by three strokes."

November 8, 2013 at 2:12 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

"None that plays golf very well," a cardinal said. "But," he added, "there is a man named Jack Nicklaus, an American golfer who is a devout Cat holic. We can offer to make him a cardinal, and then ask him to play Benjamin Netanyahu as
    "I have some good news and some bad news, Your Holiness," said the golfer.
    "Tell me the good news first, Cardinal Nicklaus," said the Pope.
    "And the bad news?" the Pope asked.
    Nicklaus sighed. "I lost to Rabbi Tiger Woods by three strokes."

November 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, goes by the nickname' Bibi'.

His wife, in contrast to most Israeli' first ladies', takes a more activist role in her country's affairs.

At some point in the ongoing peace process with the' Palestinians' there will be a fomal conference complete with state dinners. The press is dying be on hand to hear Mrs. Netanyahu lean towards Mr. Arafat and motioning towards her husband intone:

'Yasir, that's my Bibi'

November 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

D'oh!

November 8, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • Jesus Juarez

So. I was just sitting here wondering what sorry excuses people have on here for the grand total of five people signing up for oBOMBa care in the DC area. Anyone?

November 8, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Oh, I'm sure that most of the people in the DC areas having insurance through their employer wouldn't have anything to do with it, the Fedgov being the largest employer.

November 8, 2013 at 6:33 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Stalking me online?

November 8, 2013 at 6:37 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Reported in the proper place:
      The DC area is mostly comprised of federal employees. They HAVE insurance.
      But if it makes you feel better, crow as loud as you like. And run someone electable to repeal it. Romney ran on that, and...?

November 8, 2013 at 6:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Juarez

Can we say SPIN?

November 9, 2013 at 9:51 am | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

One day Mahathir, Netanyahu and Ghandi were in Geneva discussing the role of muslims in today's society. On the way back to their hotel, their car broke down in the wilderness and the closest sign of life was a small hut in the distance. They went in and asked the farmer whether they would be able to spend the night there. The farmer said,' It's okay with me, but I only have 2 other beds. Someone has to sleep in the barn with the animals.' Netanyahu immediately said,' We Israelis are used to sleeping in barns, I will go there.' and so they all settled into bed for a good nights' rest. Before 5 minutes were up, Netanyahu knocked on the bedroom doors and said,' I can't sleep in the barn, there's a pig there and it is un-kosher to be near it.' So, Ghandi decided to sleep in the barn. Before long, Ghandi came back and said,' I can't sleep in the barn, there's a cow there and it is sacrilegious to sleep near a sacred animal.' So, Mahathir had no choice but to sleep in the barn. Almost immediately after he had left, frantic knocking was heard on the bedroom doors. The three men got up and opened the door, only to see the pig and the cow.

November 8, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I'm not touching this one.

November 8, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

My thoughts and prayers are also sent for your mother.

November 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)¬©

My thoughts and prayers are also sent for your mothers safety as well as all who are going through this..

November 8, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Leslie

I'm poor and unhealthy, and look forward to you subsidizing my insurance. That some of you responsible folk be forced off the plans you were happy with and pay hire premiums and deductible is a small price to pay for sozialist utopia. As 0bama has oft stated, "To whom much is given, much is expected." And don't ask me to eat less and exercise. Just work harder and pay more taxes.

November 9, 2013 at 6:18 am | Report abuse |
  11. Name*Kristine Caraveo

Plz pray for the area of Mabini, Batangas my mother is down there and I'm worried about her god plz watch over her and make sure she is ok

November 8, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

Prayers being sent.

November 8, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. saywhat

@Joel
    "rabid anti semite'?
    There are those on our soil who harass and intimidate Americans including Jews, who criticize policies of Israeli regime, in the name of 'anti-semitism'.Nonsense.
    And then i was responding to remarks already made in this context.

November 8, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy¬©

I think the deletion of "Joel's" post tells you what you need to know, saywhat. Yet another personality of He Who Shall Remain Unnamed

November 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

@caraveo
    our prayers are for the safety of your loved ones as for all those who suffer.

November 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Well you must be extremely bored if thats what you're spending your time doing! Why don't you take a trip to the DC area and take a poll asking the ppl THERE? I haven't a clue what ppl there are doing or not doing, nor do i care! Have a safe trip though ok.

November 8, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  15. bobcat (in a hat)©

@ Kristine Caraveo

My thoughts and prayers also go out to your mother and all others who are being affected by this storm. May they all be safe.

November 8, 2013 at 5:57 pm | Report abuse |