November 18th, 2013

Man dies trying to set freediving record

New York man trying to set a free diving record died Sunday after he surfaced from a depth of more than 200 feet.

Nicholas Mevoli, a 32-year-old from Brooklyn, hoped to reach 72 meters (236 feet) with one breath of oxygen and without the assistance of fins.

When he surfaced, he flashed the OK sign and then lost consciousness 30 seconds later, organizers said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Sports • U.S. • World
  1. chrissy

What a perfectly senseless reason to die!

November 18, 2013 at 9:12 am | Report abuse |
    • Sandoval

I disagree. Better to aspire to greatness than wallow in mediocrity. You've made your choice – don't project your timidity onto those with ambition. It's that small percentage that change the world. The rest of the meandering herd are soon forgotten on the ash heap of history.

November 18, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

I agree with Sandoval. Bully for the diver: no guts, no glory.

November 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • Just Juan

Good morning! Great day all!

November 20, 2013 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
    • Just Juan

Good morning all! have a great day! 🙂 🙂 🙂

November 21, 2013 at 10:22 am | Report abuse |
  2. petoskey ron

Well I guess he succeeded-he set a record nobody can beat. Agreed @ chrissy, absolutely pointless...

November 18, 2013 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mary

Better to die doing something you love than having a pointless life @ chrissy

November 18, 2013 at 11:56 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

There's only two things that fall out of the sky.

November 18, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
    • Bartholomew

Oobleck...and what?

November 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

A blind man was describing his favorite sport – parachuting. When asked how this was accomplished, he said that things were all done for him: "I am placed in the door and told when to jump. My hand is placed on my release ring for me, and out I go." "But how do you know when you are going to land?" he was asked. "I have a very keen sense of smell and I can smell the trees and grass when I am 300 feet from the ground," he answered. "But how do you know when to lift your legs for the final arrival on the ground?" he was again asked. He quickly answered "Oh, the dog's leash goes slack."

November 18, 2013 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

A trumpet playing skydiver died when his parachute failed to open...his last note was reportedly a B-flat.

November 18, 2013 at 1:01 pm | Report abuse |
  7. petoskey ron

If you've thrown away your life in a quest for attention (look at me), then its all vanity, which IS pointless because while it may momentarily pacify it never satisfies.

November 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Oh but there IS a Jeff Roem! JeffGrant Roem to be exact, and HE sells refurbished computors as well as other computor equipment! When he isnt busy here, trolling and jacking names!

November 18, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Dazzle

You are smart not letting your digital footprint to be found by these snoops.

November 18, 2013 at 9:26 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

How I wish you all would take bloging more serious. Posting is an art.
    There is no need for name thieves around here. Let's be more professional or not post at all.

November 18, 2013 at 9:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan Jiminez

That's not banasy. She knows how to spell and punctuate correctly.

November 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • Juan Jimenez

Go away fake. You're not fooling anybody. Please learn how to write too. You seem like a 5th grader. Lol

November 18, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Thank you for recognizing that I didn’t post that. It does look like something a 5th grader would write. Blogging an art form? Really?

November 20, 2013 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Now why do you keep deleting me but leaving my imitator's post up?
      I know how to spell "blogging".

November 20, 2013 at 11:08 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Good eye, Juan. Of course that isn't me. I know how to spell, and blogging us nowhere near an "art".
      CNN, I will keep posting this as long as you let the imposter's post remain.

November 20, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Yes. This fake does.

November 20, 2013 at 9:27 pm | Report abuse |
  11. chrissy

Not juan @ 10:32. Are you having that much fun @ JR? Get a gf or something! Oh what am i thinking...you can't, they run away from you (wonder why) or at least the last one did. Or you helped her. In any case shes missing, and yea i bet you had something to do with that, didnt ya? You person of interest you! Lol so much for your not having a digital footprint eh? Lolololol

November 18, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  12. chrissy

You bumped her off you say??? Holy chamolie! And not me at 10:51 10:54 and 11:12 yesterday! Its the troll Jeff Roem!

November 19, 2013 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Federal offense you better watch yourself buckwheat!

November 19, 2013 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  14. Scottish Mama

Hi LChrissy I see some are still busy being Jackbums. I answered you and banasy on the cardinal spot. It was fun watching though. I also would like to tell bobcat (iah) I hope his daughter is doing better, my niece lost her battle with cancer in October. They found it in late August and she passed in October. RIP K.

November 20, 2013 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  15. Scottish Mama

I guess CNN will not post me anymore? I wanted to thank chrissy and banasy for the thoughts on the cardinal post. I posted back on there.

November 20, 2013 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |