November 22nd, 2013

Speaking out against cell service on planes

Commercial air travel is already filled with annoyances like shrinking personal space, overpriced meals and frequent delays. For many people, there's one bright spot to flying: A forced break from making, receiving and hearing phone calls.

That could change with the Federal Communication Commissions new proposal to drop the ban on cellular connections and allow phone calls once a plane reaches 10,000 feet.

The FCC first pitched the idea in 2004, before the rise of the smartphone. The reaction from passengers and flight attendant unions at the time was loud and negative: phone calls on planes would be disruptive, annoying and a potential safety issue. The FCC decided against the proposal.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. 911 conspiracy theorist

But cell phones don't work on planes. Do they?

November 22, 2013 at 1:27 am | Report abuse |
    • Jeff Frank (Ohio T-Party)"Right Wing Insanity"

Phones use a line-of-sight. The airplane has a shell, but if you have a window seat, you might get lucky. After 10, 000 ft people probably throw thier phones everywhere..no bars.

November 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm | Report abuse |
  2. 911 conspiracy theorist

Kennedy anniversary tomorrow. I'm PUMPED. You are all going to have to listen to guys like me ALL DAY LONG.

November 22, 2013 at 1:29 am | Report abuse |
  3. justathought

A ban against the use of cell phones—why? I have never understood the reason why so many people are annoyed by someone talking on a cell phone; the only response I seem to get when I ask is that it is “impolite”. Impolite! Why? If that same person talking on the phone was carrying on the same conversation with a person sitting beside him/her it would be OK—right? Of course it would be OK. I don’t know, but what I think is the problem is that the ‘eavesdropper’, the person listening to the person talking on the phone, is annoyed that he/she can’t hear the other side of the conversation. But, it’s none of their business any way. If there is any other reason I would like to hear it.
    P.S. Vera Shook, who compares talking on a cell phone with smoking doesn’t realize that smoking is a health factor. I’m one who can be, and have been, sent into a coughing spasm because of another person’s cigarette smoke, even when using a public phone and the previous person was smoking while talking on that particular phone.

November 22, 2013 at 2:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. chrissy

Idiots? We already do lol. J/k.

November 22, 2013 at 11:09 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

And before you get upset i was joking. I really meant the trollio fool, unless you ARE him. If so then im not joking.

November 22, 2013 at 11:12 am | Report abuse |
  6. saywhat

Agree@banasy.good morning folks.

November 22, 2013 at 1:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. BOMBO

There's a pizza chain in Canada called Boston Pizza (for some reason) that has a couple of interesting varieties including the pyrogy pizza, which has potatoes and sour cream.

November 23, 2013 at 12:22 am | Report abuse |
    • BOMBO

Forgive the spelling error. PEROGY.

Also, I once had egg on a pizza at a place in Sydney. I don't know if that's a common Australian thing or not.

November 23, 2013 at 12:29 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

We spell it Pierogi in my parts.
      There's a big PierogiFest every year in Whiting, Indiana that is a lot of fun.

November 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm | Report abuse |
  8. chrissy

Wow! Not me @ 1:30! And YUK! Nothing against canada but, that sounds awful! But leave it to the polish to come up with that on a pizza!

November 23, 2013 at 3:04 am | Report abuse |
  9. chrissy

I bet it is @ banasy! The lump and his family are polish so they do all the festivals in Hamtramck every year! Its always a good time!

November 23, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

I vote against cell service on planes. Bodies provide sufficient entertainment.

November 24, 2013 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Sometimes they provide more than I'd care to partake in...

November 24, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rascal Rabble

look, if I can comfortablly read what you are reading...you are invading MY SPACE...im not talking to anyone on the plane...it is really uncomfortable...to sit sooo close...i say buy two drinks and tune everyone out unless they are entertaining...

November 24, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Report abuse |
  12. justathought

WHY?

November 24, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble's Holiday Blues

why is ki n ky boots are in the macy's parade...shame! shame! shame!

November 29, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • Rascal Rabble's Holiday Blues

people forget abcnew sis owned by decadentdisney

November 29, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Tina Milano

Most of the conversations are inane babble and, as such, truly annoying. The problem is you are stuck there and can't get away from that torture.

November 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  14. banasy©

Again.
    I do not think this is a good idea.

November 24, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

Hagen is rewriting my posts now.
    Above, I wrote "babies," not "bodies."

November 25, 2013 at 6:14 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

@banasy: my Urtext sentence was, "babies provide sufficient entertainment." Hagen bad.?!

November 25, 2013 at 6:26 am | Report abuse |
    • Joey Isotta-Fraschini©

I put no question mark. I punctuate quite well. Bad cellphone. Bad Hagen.

November 25, 2013 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I feel your pain. Mine is new, also.

November 25, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Actually, it looks funnier as written.
      I understand your angst re: your new phone.

November 25, 2013 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Once again:
      I think it is better as originally written.

November 25, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Report abuse |