November 22nd, 2013

Speaking out against cell service on planes

Commercial air travel is already filled with annoyances like shrinking personal space, overpriced meals and frequent delays. For many people, there's one bright spot to flying: A forced break from making, receiving and hearing phone calls.

That could change with the Federal Communication Commissions new proposal to drop the ban on cellular connections and allow phone calls once a plane reaches 10,000 feet.

The FCC first pitched the idea in 2004, before the rise of the smartphone. The reaction from passengers and flight attendant unions at the time was loud and negative: phone calls on planes would be disruptive, annoying and a potential safety issue. The FCC decided against the proposal.

FULL STORY

Filed under: U.S.
  1. chrissy

Well now THAT is awesome @ Mary! Good luck to you! And yes @ banasy, that is what i meant...no new stories!

November 27, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  2. bobcat (in a hat)©

Well, since I'll probably be busy with the F's tomorrow, here we go :

One year at Thanksgiving, my mom went to my sister's house for the traditional feast. Knowing how gullible my sister is, my mom decided to play a trick. She told my sister that she needed something from the store.

When my sister left, my mom took the turkey out of the oven, removed the stuffing, stuffed a Cornish hen,and inserted it into the turkey, and re-stuffed the turkey. She then placed the bird(s) back in the oven.

When it was time for dinner, my sister pulled the turkey out of the oven and proceeded to remove the stuffing. When her serving spoon hit something, she reached in and pulled out the little bird.

With a look of total shock on her face, my mother exclaimed, "Patricia, you've cooked a pregnant bird!" At the reality of this horrifying news, my sister started to cry.

It took the family two hours to convince her that turkeys lay eggs!

Yep.................SHE'S BLONDE!

November 27, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  3. bobcat (in a hat)©

Well, since I'll probably be busy with the F's tomorrow, here we go :

A lady was picking through the frozen turkeys at the grocery store, but couldn't find one big enough for her family. She asked the stock boy, "Do these turkeys get any bigger?"

The stock boy answered, "No ma'am, they're dead."

November 27, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

Well, since I'll probably be busy with the F's tomorrow, here we go :

November 27, 2013 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

That's supposed to be 3 F's. But anyway :

A turkey farmer was always experimenting with breeding to perfect a better turkey. His family was fond of the leg portion for dinner and there were never enough legs for everyone. After many frustrating attempts, the farmer was relating the results of his efforts to his friends at the general store get together. "Well I finally did it! I bred a turkey that has 6 legs!"
      They all asked the farmer how it tasted.
      "I don't know" said the farmer. "I never could catch the darn thing!"

November 27, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

That's supposed to be 3 F's. But anyway :

The pro football team had just finished their daily practice session when a large turkey came strutting onto the field. While the players gazed in amazement, the turkey walked up to the head coach and demanded a tryout. Everyone stared in silence as the turkey caught pass after pass and ran right through the defensive line. When the turkey returned to the sidelines, the coach shouted, "You're terrific!!! Sign up for the season, and I'll see to it that you get a huge bonus." "Forget the bonus," the turkey said, "All I want to know is, does the season go past Thanksgiving Day?"

November 27, 2013 at 1:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

That's supposed to be 3 F's. But anyway :

It was the first time the blonde was eating Thanksgiving dinner without her family. Trying to re-enact the tradition, she prepared a dinner for herself alone. The next day, her mother called to see how everything went.
      "Oh, mother, I made myself a lovely dinner, but I had so much trouble trying to eat the turkey!" said the daughter.
      "Did it not taste good?" her mother asked.
      "I don't know," the blonde said. "It wouldn't sit still!"

November 27, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

That's supposed to be 3 F's. But anyway :

November 27, 2013 at 2:06 pm | Report abuse |
  5. bobcat (in a hat)©

Michael Dresser in his Baltimore Sun Paper's wine column, Vintage Point, writing about the difficulty of recommending wine for Thanksgiving dinner writes:-
    Thanksgiving is America's national chow-down feast – the one occasion each year when gluttony becomes a patriotic duty. (In France, by contrast there are three such days: Heir, Aujourd'hui and Demain.)

November 27, 2013 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

I like Thanksgiving.
      No complaints.

November 27, 2013 at 2:26 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I agree totally banasy. I'm trying to get some of my annual holiday humor going, but as usual I'm being blocked and /or moderated , which is basically the same. But I'll try a little more.

November 27, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

Pilgrim John: I see thee cleaning hunting gear for the morrow. Dost thou plan on hunting bear?

Pilgrim Samuel: Certainly not, John. I am shocked that thou would suggest it. I shall wear clothing as usual!

November 27, 2013 at 2:23 pm | Report abuse |
  7. bobcat (in a hat)©

Martha had a parrot called Brutus, the only problem was that Brutus cussed something awful. Now Martha was having her in-laws over for Thanksgiving, and so she needed to train Brutus quickly not to swear.

Just before her Mother-in-law was due Brutus cussed terribly, so Martha but him in the freezer for 2 minutes to literally cool off. Then she opened the door and took out the parrot along with the turkey.

'And have you learned your lesson about cussing?' Martha asked the parrot.

Brutus the parrot took one look at the dead turkey and said: 'I sure have. But I have one I have a question, "What did the turkey do?" '

November 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm | Report abuse |
  8. bobcat (in a hat)©

Martha had a parrot called Brutus, the only problem was that Brutus cursed something awful. Now Martha was having her in-laws over for Thanksgiving, and so she needed to train Brutus quickly not to swear.

Just before her Mother-in-law was due Brutus cursed terribly, so Martha but him in the freezer for 2 minutes to literally cool off. Then she opened the door and took out the parrot along with the turkey.

'And have you learned your lesson about cursing?' Martha asked the parrot.

November 27, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

Nathan, a young boy, after hearing the story of Thanksgiving and how the Indians and the Pilgrims sat down together, climbed up into his father's lap and said, 'Daddy, did you know that if we were Indians, you would be a brave and Mom would be a squawk?'

'That is the best description of your mother I have ever heard, Nathan', replied his daddy as he ducked.

November 27, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
  10. bobcat (in a hat)©

There were two Indians and a Polish fellow walking along together in the desert, when, all of a sudden, one of the Indians took off and ran up a hill to the mouth of a cave.

He stopped and hollered into the cave... "Woooooo! Woooooo! Woooooo!" and then listened very closely until he heard the answer..."Woooooo! Woooooo! Woooooo!" He then tore off his clothes and ran in to the cave.

The Polish fellow was puzzled and asked the other Indian what that was all about, was that Indian goofy or something.

"No", said the other Indian. "It is mating time for us Indians and when you see a cave and holler, "Woooooo! Woooooo! Woooooo!", and get an answer back, that means that she is in there waiting for you.

Well, just about that time, the other Indian saw another cave. He took off and ran up to the cave, then stopped and hollered, "Woooooo! Woooooo! Woooooo!" When he heard the return, "Woooooo! Woooooo! Woooooo!", off came the clothes and into the cave he goes.

The Polack started running around the desert looking for a cave to find these women that the Indians had talked about. All of a sudden, he looked up and saw this great big cave.

As he looked in amazement, he was thinking, "Man! Look at the size of that cave! It's bigger then the ones that those Indians found. There must really be something really great in this cave!"

Well... he took-off up the hill at a super fast speed. He got in front of the cave and hollered, "Woooooo! Woooooo! Woooooo!" He was just tickled all over when he heard the answering call of, "WOOOOOOOOO! WOOOOOOOOO!! WOOOOOOOOO!!! Off came his clothes and, with a big smile on his face, he raced into the cave.

The next day in the newspaper the head lines read, Naked Polack Run Over By Freight Train!!

November 27, 2013 at 2:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

Yes, I know that had nothing to do with Thanksgiving. But damn, that struck me funny.

November 27, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

A small business owner was dismayed when a brand new corporate chain much like his own opened up next door and erected a huge sign which read BEST BLACK FRIDAY DEALS.

He was horrified when another competitor opened up on his right, and announced its arrival with an even larger sign, reading LOWEST BLACK FRIDAY PRICES.

The small business owner panicked, until he got an idea. He put the biggest sign of all over his own shop-it read... MAIN ENTRANCE.

November 27, 2013 at 2:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. bobcat (in a hat)©

Well, I've got to go for now. In case I don't see you guys tomorrow :

HAPPY THANKSGIVING DAY to all my friends. I hope you enjoy your 3 F's as much as I will mine.

November 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. chrissy

Happy Thanksgiving to you also @ bobcat and tell the missus the same from me. We will be waiting to celibrate, when we are sure we have cause for cellibration. And happy thanksgiving to all from Kenney (superman) he said to tell all his friends.

November 27, 2013 at 3:41 pm | Report abuse |
  14. chrissy

Well the death of your favorite blog site sure is ugly!

November 28, 2013 at 9:27 am | Report abuse |
  15. saywhat

Happy Thanksgiving all.
    Lets just be thankful for being luckier than most if we look around us and rest of the world. Let's keep those in our thoughts & prayers, who suffer in poverty, under oppression, in the midst of insane conflicts, in disease & such.
    Enjoy your day @bobcat@chrissy@banasy@JI-F & other friends.

November 28, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

Happy Thanksgiving, my friend.

November 28, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Report abuse |