December 13th, 2013

Judge says giant cross must be removed

A giant cross that has stood on a Southern California mountain for decades must be removed because it violates the constitutional separation of church and state, a judge ordered this week.

The order Thursday by U.S. District Judge Larry Burns continues a long legal battle about the 43-foot cross atop Mt. Soledad in San Diego.

Burns ordered that the cross would have to be removed within 90 days. But the cross may be able to stay if the case is appealed, the judge ordered.

FULL STORY

Filed under: Politics • U.S.
  1. petoskey ron

To be replaced by a 43 foot tall monument advocating violence or immorality no doubt, which is apparently acceptable. tsk tsk tsk

December 13, 2013 at 5:39 am | Report abuse |
    • Ken

"To be replaced by a 43 foot tall monument advocating violence or immorality" If you think that a Roman empire torture device is not violent and immoral you are diluted.

December 13, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Larry

Pretty sad that our country has come to this. We now have a bunch of lunatics with too much time on their hands fighting to remove a cross. I wish our country was the way it was when I was a kid. Now it is crap and getting crappier. Are you happy now lunatics?

December 13, 2013 at 6:32 am | Report abuse |
    • bobcat (in a hat)©

I agree Larry. In my youth in the 50's / 60's, this was quite a country. But that seems like so many centuries ago. I think our country started losing it's innocence at the advent of vi etnam. That era saw the beginning of our country tearing itself apart. It was and is so hard to watch what's happening to our once proud nation.

December 13, 2013 at 11:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. James

I'm not in favor of removing the cross however I find it so interesting that certain people will say, "I wish coil go back to the days of Ozzie & Harriet when a town's city Hall was still allowed to display nativity scene and when there was prayer in school, because THAT is what's wrong with this country". Funny because back when God was in our schools, black's were forced to use separate drinking fountains and bathrooms. They weren't allowed to worship God at a white church. Yeah, let's go back to those good ole'days, right???

December 13, 2013 at 7:09 am | Report abuse |
  4. bobcat (in a hat)©

The cross was erected in 1954 in honor of Korean War veterans and has been the subject of near constant judicial back and forth since 1989, when two Vietnam War veterans filed suit saying it violated the California Constitution's "No Preference" clause.

The "No Preference" clause. Okay, since these two, count them now, TWO (2), Viet Nam veterans threw a hissy fit because of their perceived slant toward a preference of one religion, I believe I have the perfect solution.
    Let's just erect a giant Star of David, A Giant Buddha and giant whatever else religious symbols are used. That way there can be no claim of preference. Problem solved.

December 13, 2013 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. chrissy

And THAT is what is wrong with todays youth!!! If its supposed to be seperate than it shouldve NEVER even been heard in a court of law! Kids need SOMETHING good to believe in and this constant battle isnt it! Gees!

December 13, 2013 at 11:26 am | Report abuse |
    • The Hamsta

For once I agree with you chrissy! This war on Jesus these Marxist communists and socialists that call themselves democrats are waging is very offensive to any Christian, Jesus, and above all others God himself. Welcome to the sodomite nation of America where sodomites and atheists have more rights than a Christian does. Do these atheists and sodomites ever think they offend Christians more than a plastic Jesus or a cross offends them? Do I really have to see deviants in drag wearing clothes that should only be worn in a bedroom when I go to a parade? Do straight women wear lingerie in public? Wouldn't a straight woman be arrested for indecent exposure if they did so?

December 14, 2013 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

If your faith can't withstand a few atheists, how strong is it?

December 14, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Report abuse |
    • banasy©

What kind of parades are you attending there, anyway ?

December 14, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  6. bobcat (in a hat)©

There was a little old lady who was nearly blind. She had three sons and they wanted to prove which one was the best son to her.

So son #1 bought her a 15-room mansion thinking this would surely be the best any of them could offer her.

Son #2 bought her a beautiful Mercedes with a chauffeur included thinking he would surely win her approval.

Son #3 had to do something even better than these so he bought her a trained parrot. This parrot had been trained for 15 years to memorize the entire Bible. You could mention any verse in the Bible and the parrot could quote it word for word. How useful his nearly blind mother would find that!

Well, the old lady went to the first son and said, "Son, the house is just gorgeous but it's really much too big for me. I only live in one room, and it's much too large for me to clean and take care of. I really don't need the house, but thank you anyway."

Then she explained to her second son, "Son, the car is beautiful, it has everything you could ever want on it, but I don't drive and I really don't like that driver, so please return the car."

Next, she went to son number three and said, "Son, I just want to thank you for that thoughtful gift. The chicken was small, but delicious.

December 13, 2013 at 11:36 am | Report abuse |
  7. banasy©

If it's on private land, it shouldn't be an issue.
    If it's on land that is taxpayer provided, please remember one thing: the Constitution that protects gun ownership is the same one that protects the separation of church and state.

December 13, 2013 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  8. banasy©

Have your heard of the satanists who want to put up a monument up next to the 10 Commandments on the OK State Goverments's property?

December 13, 2013 at 11:52 am | Report abuse |
  9. bobcat (in a hat)©

No, I hadn't heard about that. Man, you just gotta love the new world we live in. We might as well take it a step further. Since the atheists have now formed their own church, they might as well put up a monument too.

December 13, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
  10. banasy©

Already have that in Chicago's Daly Plaza. A giant "A" near the Nativity and a Menorah. Freedom for one is freedom for all. In Florida, they have a Festivus Pole made of beer cans, lol.

December 13, 2013 at 12:55 pm | Report abuse |
  11. bobcat (in a hat)©

Really ? And here I was just being facetious.

December 13, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Report abuse |
  12. banasy©

Yep. Stands for "atheist and agnostics." Cheery red and white striped.

December 13, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Report abuse |
  13. saywhat

Agree@bobcat your 11:10.

December 13, 2013 at 1:48 pm | Report abuse |
  14. petoskey ron

Well Ken, if thats your interpretation of the meaning of THE cross then the delusion is all yours. Sorry thats how you see the world.

December 14, 2013 at 5:49 am | Report abuse |
  15. flamespeak

I am not a chrisitan, but I still can't understand how such a thing as a cross by a mountain can get people's panties in such a knot. Still doesn't compare to the guy who wanted all the Christmas decorations (including stars) removed from his office because it upset him. I have a mental image of that same guy looking up at the stars in the night sky shaking his fist toward the heavens screaming 'CURSE YOU, STARS!'

December 16, 2013 at 1:59 am | Report abuse |