August 7th, 2013
04:59 AM ET

12 die in Argentina building explosion

Leaking gas was likely to blame for an explosion that killed at least 12 people, injured 60 more and brought down part of a building in Argentina on Tuesday, state media reported Wednesday.

A man who was working at the scene in the city of Rosario before the blast ignited at 9:15 a.m. local time has been taken into custody, said the Telam news agency, which cited investigator Juan Curto.

The explosion gutted one multi-story residential building, and destroyed at least one other building next to it, while blowing out the windows of surrounding structures, images broadcast by CNN affiliate Canal 9 showed.

Full Story

Post by:
Filed under: Accidents • Argentina • Energy • Natural gas explosion • World • World Update
Pilot lights not snuffed before K.C. blast
One person died after the gas explosion last month in downtown Kansas City, Missouri.
March 13th, 2013
09:51 PM ET

Pilot lights not snuffed before K.C. blast

A fatal explosion last month in downtown Kansas City, Missouri, was caused by the accidental ignition of natural gas vapors that had accumulated inside a popular restaurant, according to a report from a joint city-federal task force.

After a gas line nearby was ruptured, firefighters asked employees at JJ's restaurant "to put the flames out on the candles, stove and hot water heater" inside, said the report.

When queried after the blast by investigators, the restaurant's manager acknowledged the initial request and said workers "only put the candles out and turned the stove off, but did not turn out the pilot lights for the stove or hot water heater," according to the report issued Wednesday.

November 25th, 2012
05:17 PM ET

Human error blamed in gas explosion at strip club

Human error is to blame in last week's gas-fueled explosion that ripped through a strip club in the western Massachusetts city of Springfield, officials said Sunday.

The blast injured at least 21 people, including firefighters.

A utility worker, responding to a report of a gas odor inside a building, inadvertently punctured a hole in a high-pressure gas line at the foundation of that building, according to a statement from the Office of the State Fire Marshal.

Markings on the sidewalk incorrectly indicated where the line was.

Once the pipe was punctured, the worker called the gas company and the fire department to shut off the gas, and the area around the building was evacuated. Investigators believe gas from the leak entered the building and later ignited.

Post by:
Filed under: Energy • Gas pipeline • Massachusetts • Natural gas explosion
Oscars: "Gasland" director and movie star take on Washington
A scene from the documentary "Gasland."
February 27th, 2011
01:57 PM ET

Oscars: "Gasland" director and movie star take on Washington

A man who lives in Colorado sticks a lighter under his kitchen faucet. He places the flame into the streaming tap water, and a ball of fire leaps up, nearly burning him.

"This is something we did over and over again in gas drilling areas," said documentary filmmaker Josh Fox. His movie "Gasland," nominated for an Academy Award, contains interviews with people from across the United States who say a new form of natural gas drilling has threatening consequences. Oscar-nominated actor Mark Ruffalo has joined Fox. Ruffalo lives in New York, which began to take a close look at fracking last year.

An animation of the fracking process, and the stories of people who say it is ruining their lives, can be found in CNN's special coverage on the issue.

Read more about documentaries nominated for a golden statue Sunday.

Post by:
Filed under: Environment • Gas pipeline • Natural gas explosion • Showbiz
October 16th, 2010
11:46 AM ET

Blast kills 21 in China mine

A gas explosion Saturday killed at least 21 workers and 16 others were trapped at a coal mine in central China, authorities told state-run media.

Rescuers have retrieved 20 bodies so far, the official Xinhua news agency reported. The 16 trapped miners have been located but rescuers have to clear coal dust from the shaft in order to reach them.


September 13th, 2010
04:13 PM ET

Utility pledges money for California suburb

California utility Pacific Gas and Electric will set aside up to $100 million to help rebuild parts of the San Francisco suburb ravaged by a deadly gas explosion last week, the company's president said Monday.

The money includes payments of up to $50,000 per household for interim living expenses and money to compensate the city for San Bruno for the costs it incurred since Thursday night's pipeline explosion and fire, PG&E President Chris Johns told reporters. Other funds will help the city rebuild things like parks and sidewalks, he said.

"I realize money can't return lives, can't heal scars and can't replace memories. Some of the things that have been lost, you can't put a value to," Johns said. "But there does come a time for healing and for rebuilding, and we are committed to helping that happen."

The fire began when a gas transmission line ruptured in San Bruno, near San Francisco International Airport. The blast blew in the doors of a grocery store a quarter-mile (400 meters) away, and the explosion and resulting fire killed at least four people, injured 52 others and destroyed 37 homes.


Post by:
Filed under: California • Natural gas explosion