Gotta Watch: Shopping frenzy
People crowd the aisles inside Macy's department store November 25, 2011 in New York after the midnight opening to begin the 'Black Friday' shopping weekend.
November 28th, 2011
10:53 AM ET

Gotta Watch: Shopping frenzy

The madness of Black Friday is behind us. Despite an increase in sales it was a day marred by violence at several stores. As we enter Cyber Monday, bargain hunters will be able to take advantage of sales online instead of having to risk hand-to-hand combat in the aisles. While you browse the Web for deals, take a look at some of the craziest moments from Black Friday, from shoppers rioting over a waffle iron or going to great lengths to get a spot in line.

Woman pepper-sprays shoppers – Police say a woman pepper-sprayed fellow customers on Black Friday to make sure she got a hold of a deal at a Los Angeles Wal-Mart. The woman then proceeded to pay for her items and leave before police arrived.


Post by:
Filed under: Connecticut • Consumer safety • Crime • Florida • Gotta Watch • Holidays • Justice • Los Angeles • Thanksgiving • U.S. • Uncategorized
Occupy Los Angeles is a throwback with a contemporary message
Musicians play at the Occupy Los Angeles camp outside City Hall on Friday.
October 21st, 2011
09:27 PM ET

Occupy Los Angeles is a throwback with a contemporary message

The Occupy Wall Street movement that has spread across the globe has many personalities. In Los Angeles, it has the feel and sights of the 1960s.

Hundreds of tightly packed tents are on all sides of City Hall. Young people have feathers and flowers in their hair.

But this Internet-generation protest has a contemporary message, as articulated by protester Billy Singhas.

“Sovereignty,” Singhas said of what protesters are demanding. "We as Americans have gathered here to petition our government, and we would like to see an immediate return to the United States Constitution."

“We are trying to get at least 34 governors to call for a constitutional convention to put the power back in the hands of the 99%,” he said, referring to the assertion of Occupy protesters that the nation's wealthiest 1% holds inordinate sway over the remaining 99% of the population.

There are other causes being championed at the Occupy Los Angeles camp.

“Free the weeds!” shouted 22-year-old film student and musician Jason Zimmermann. “I’m here to support the legalization of marijuana."

Zimmermann also supports the Occupy movement, but he and some like-minded marijuana supporters play music and try to gather more support for their cause while smoking marijuana. Zimmermann said that no one hassles him.

“Yeah, it’s a wonderful thing. My bong is just sitting there,” he said.

Click the audio player to hear the rest of the story from CNN Radio's Jim Roope:

You can also listen to the CNN Radio Reports podcast on itunes or subscribe to the podcast here.

Post by:
Filed under: California • Los Angeles • Occupy Wall Street
Anti-corporate, anti-Murdoch protesters converge at News Corp. meeting
A protester wears a papier-mache likeness of News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch outside Twentieth Century Fox studio.
October 21st, 2011
08:01 PM ET

Anti-corporate, anti-Murdoch protesters converge at News Corp. meeting

About 200 protesters gathered outside the annual News Corp. stockholder meeting in Los Angeles on Friday, some objecting to boss Rupert Murdoch’s handling of his news groups, and others - in the vein of Occupy Wall Street protests - decrying what they describe as corporate greed.

Protesters gathered at the entrance to the Twentieth Century Fox studio lot, hoping to catch the attention of the Murdoch family and News Corp. shareholders, who were meeting at the Darryl Zanuck Theater.

The protesters represented various groups - some wanting Murdoch, who is News Corp.’s chief executive and chairman, and the shareholders to "share" some of their wealth. Though they didn’t identify themselves as Occupy Wall Street protesters, their messages were similar to those heard at nationwide Occupy rallies, where people assert that the nation's wealthiest 1% hold inordinate sway over the remaining 99% of the population.

A 25-year-old protester, identifying herself only as Ashley, said she was there because the company represents money and power, which she believes can be used to help others.

"We want the funds to go back into our community to create good jobs," she said. "When you have a lot of money, you can do what you want with it."


Post by:
Filed under: California • Los Angeles • Occupy Wall Street • Rupert Murdoch
Gotta Watch: Day Michael Jackson died
Michael Jackson attends a press conference to announce plans for his "This Is It" tour.
June 25th, 2011
10:41 AM ET

Gotta Watch: Day Michael Jackson died

It's a day that music fans around the world will remember. On June 25, 2009, legendary pop icon Michael Jackson died. The 50-year-old "King of Pop" suffered cardiac arrest at his residence  and died hours later. There is no doubt Jackson had a profound influence on the music industry. His show-stopping dance moves and best-selling albums made him one of the most popular artists of all time. In honor of Michael Jackson's memory we at Gotta Watch put together some videos from the day Michael Jackson died.


Post by:
Filed under: California • Celebrity • Dance • Gotta Watch • Health • Los Angeles • Michael Jackson • Music
On the Radar: L.A. gridlock, tropical weather, Burress to leave prison
Traffic backs up on the I-405 in Los Angeles during the Memorial Day weekend.
June 6th, 2011
06:42 AM ET

On the Radar: L.A. gridlock, tropical weather, Burress to leave prison

Three stories you need to know today:

L.A. gridlock: The mayor of Los Angeles will hold a press conference on Monday to explain measures the city will take when the 405 Freeway, Southern California's busiest traffic artery, is closed for a weekend in July.

On the weekend of July 15-18, a 10-mile section of Interstate 405, also known as the San Diego Freeway, will be closed to take down the Mulholland Drive overpass in a plan to add a carpool lane and other improvements.

Transportation officials warn of multi-hour traffic delays in Los Angeles County and beyond during the weekend closure and warn residents to plan ahead.

Some just plan on hunkering down.

"We'll be landlocked and isolated. We're going to Ralph's early, stocking up and not leaving the house for two days," Gerald Silver of Encino told the Los Angeles Daily News.

Tropical weather: A large area of disturbed weather in the western Caribbean Sea stands a 40 percent chance of becoming the season's first tropical cyclone in the next two days, the National Hurricane Center reports.

An Air Force Reserve "hurricane hunter" aircraft will fly into the system Monday to take measurements, according to the NHC.

Forecasters warn that even if the system does not reach tropical cyclone status, it's still likely to bring drenching rains, flash flooding and mudslides to parts of Jamaica and Haiti, where hundreds of thousands of people remain displaced after the January 2010 earthquake that devastated Port-au-Prince.

The British Red Cross warned last week that the coming of the rainy and hurricane seasons to Haiti bring new fears of an increase in cholera. One treatment center reported a 50% increase in the past week.


Post by: ,
Filed under: California • Football • Haiti • Jamaica • Los Angeles • Pro football • Sports • Tropical weather • Weather
newer posts »