January 3rd, 2013
11:51 AM ET

Britain extradites terror suspect to United States

Britain extradited a man wanted by U.S. authorities for alleged terrorism offenses Thursday, police in London said, more than two years after he was detained.

Abid Naseer, 26, was put on a plane bound for the United States at Luton Airport, north of London, after having been handed over to U.S. officials.

Naseer, a Pakistani national, was arrested in northern England in July 2010 by British police officers acting on a provisional extradition arrest warrant issued at the request of the U.S. government.

He had been held at London's high-security Belmarsh prison since his arrest, London's Metropolitan Police said.

U.S. authorities want him to stand trial on charges of providing material support to a foreign terrorist organization, conspiracy to provide material support to such an organization, and conspiracy to use a destructive device.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Terrorism • United Kingdom
New investigation into Amy Winehouse death announced
Amy Winehouse
December 17th, 2012
07:17 AM ET

New investigation into Amy Winehouse death announced

There will be a new investigation into what caused the death of singer Amy Winehouse, government officials in Britain are saying today.

London's Camden Council says the coroner who performed the original investigation into Winehouse's death did not have proper credentials and has been suspended.

There had been speculation that the case would be reopened after the coroner who conducted the investigation resigned in February.

A new investigation into the death will begin on January 8, reports CNN's Richard Allen Greene from London.

Winehouse died in July 2011. She was 27 years old.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Amy Winehouse • Justice • Music • United Kingdom
December 11th, 2012
10:07 AM ET

Prank call radio station to donate funds to nurse's family

The Australian radio station which made a prank call to a UK hospital that apparently resulted in the death of a nurse said Tuesday that it would donate at least 500,000 Australian dollars (US$524,000) to a fund for the nurse's family.

Jacintha Saldanha apparently committed suicide after being duped by the prank call from two DJs seeking information on Prince William's pregnant wife, Catherine.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Australia • Kate Middleton • United Kingdom • World
December 10th, 2012
12:22 PM ET

Australian radio network cancels show after nurse's death

[Updated at 12:22 p.m. ET] King Edward VII’s Hospital has announced they have launched a memorial fund for Jacintha Saldanha.

"Jacintha Saldanha sadly died last week in tragic circumstances. She was an outstanding nurse whose loss has shocked and saddened everyone at the hospital," Lord Glenarthur, Chairman of King Edward VII's Hospital, said in a press release. "Following discussions with her family, we have now established the Jacintha Saldanha Memorial Fund in her memory."

[Updated at 10:58 a.m. ET] British Prime Minister David Cameron said on Monday that the death of Jacintha Saldanha, the nurse who committed suicide in London after the prank call from the Australian radio station 2day FM, was an "absolute tragedy."

[Posted at 7:46 a.m. ET] An Australian radio network at the heart of a hoax targeting Prince William's pregnant wife canceled the show responsible for the prank on Monday, expressing deep regret following the death of a nurse who took a call from the DJs involved.

The two DJs "will not return to the airwaves until further notice," the statement from the network, Southern Cross Austereo, said.

The company also suspended all prank calls, pulled advertising and ordered a comprehensive review of relevant policies and processes.

The DJs, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, who were impersonating Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles, called the hospital Tuesday and gained information about the condition of Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge - which they subsequently played on air.

On Friday, the nurse who transferred the call through to the ward, Jacintha Saldanha, was found dead after apparently committing suicide.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Prince William • United Kingdom
Nurse found dead after prank call on Catherine
The King Edward VII Private Hospital on December 4, 2012 in London, England.
December 7th, 2012
10:48 AM ET

Nurse found dead after prank call on Catherine

[Updated at 11:29 a.m. ET] A nurse at the hospital that was duped by a prank call from two Australian radio DJs concerning Prince William's pregnant wife, Catherine, has apparently committed suicide, the hospital confirmed Friday.

The nurse "was recently the victim of a hoax call," King Edward VII Hospital said in a media statement.

The DJs impersonated Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Charles in the prank call, in which some details of the Duchess of Cambridge's condition and care were given.

The nurse who died was the person who first took the hoax call and transferred it through to Catherine's ward, the hospital said.

FULL STORY
Reports: UK publicist Max Clifford held over sex offenses
Publicist Max Clifford arrives at the High Court to give evidence to the Leveson Inquiry on February 9, 2012 in London, England.
December 6th, 2012
11:20 AM ET

Reports: UK publicist Max Clifford held over sex offenses

Celebrity publicist Max Clifford was arrested Thursday by police investigating sex abuse allegations sparked by a scandal involving a now-deceased TV host, British media reports said.

His lawyer confirmed that Clifford - who is famous in Britain for representing celebrities and members of the public willing to sell kiss-and-tell stories - was being questioned by police, but did not say what it regarded.

"Max Clifford is being interviewed by police. Mr. Clifford will assist the police as best he can with their inquiries," said lawyer Charlotte Harris, at law firm Mishcon de Reya.

London's Metropolitan Police said a man in his 60s was arrested on suspicion of sexual offenses Thursday morning in Surrey, outside London, in connection with the inquiry involving late television personality Jimmy Savile.

But the force declined to name the suspect, in line with policy.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: United Kingdom
Catherine leaves hospital after acute morning sickness treatment
Britain's Prince WiIliam, the Duke of Cambridge, with his wife Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, as they leave the hospital.
December 6th, 2012
06:13 AM ET

Catherine leaves hospital after acute morning sickness treatment

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, left hospital Thursday morning, three days after being admitted for acute morning sickness.

She emerged from the hospital accompanied by her husband Prince William and was driven away by a waiting car.

A St. James's Palace spokesman said: "The Duchess of Cambridge has been discharged from the King Edward VII Hospital and will now head to Kensington Palace for a period of rest.‬‪

"Their Royal Highnesses would like to thank the staff at the hospital for the care and treatment The Duchess has received."

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Prince William • United Kingdom
Radio DJs pretend to be queen, make prank call to Kate's hospital
The King Edward VII Private Hospital on December 4, 2012 in London, England.
December 5th, 2012
07:59 AM ET

Radio DJs pretend to be queen, make prank call to Kate's hospital

Two Australian radio DJs made a prank call to the hospital where Prince William's pregnant wife, Catherine, is staying with acute morning sickness, claiming to be Queen Elizabeth II and her son, Prince Charles.

The DJs, from Sydney's 2Day FM station, succeeded in getting through to Kate's private nurse at King Edward VII Hospital and had a brief conversation that included some details of her condition, according to audio of the call posted online.

The hospital issued a statement Wednesday confirming that the hoax call had been transferred to a ward in the early hours of Tuesday morning and a short conversation was held with one of the nursing staff.

The hospital "deeply regrets" the incident, it said.

FULL STORY
December 4th, 2012
07:35 AM ET

Royal baby: Catherine spends second day in hospital

Britain's Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, is spending a second day in a central London hospital Tuesday after being admitted with acute morning sickness.

Her husband, Prince William, arrived Tuesday morning to visit her at King Edward VII Hospital, after spending much of the day at her bedside Monday.

The news that he and Catherine are expecting their first child after 19 months of marriage was announced by the palace Monday as she was admitted for treatment, and followed months of tabloid speculation.

The duchess is likely to remain in hospital for several days, the palace said Monday.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Prince William • United Kingdom
Kate Middleton is pregnant, palace confirms
December 3rd, 2012
11:13 AM ET

Kate Middleton is pregnant, palace confirms

Britain's Prince William and Catherine Middleton are expecting their first child after 19 months of marriage, the palace announced Monday.

The royal revelation came as Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, was admitted to a central London hospital with acute morning sickness. She is expected to be there for several days, the palace announcement said.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Kate Middleton • Prince William • United Kingdom
British press get scathing report on phone-hacking sins
November 29th, 2012
03:03 PM ET

British press get scathing report on phone-hacking sins

Editor's note: In a long-awaited report sparked by a phone-hacking scandal at Rupert Murdoch's News of the World tabloid, a British judge Brian Leveson recommended Thursday that the British press should have an independent regulator, underpinned by law, and with the power to fine.

Below is information from the report and reaction:

[Updated at 3:03 a.m. ET, 8:03 p.m. GMT] News International, a subsidiary of the Murdoch-owned News Corp., has backed British Prime Minister David Cameron's call for regulation without legislation:

"We are grateful to Lord Justice Leveson for his thorough and comprehensive inquiry, and will be studying its recommendations and comments in detail. As a company we are keen to play our full part, with others in our industry, in creating a new body that commands the confidence of the public. We believe that this can be achieved without statutory regulation - and welcome the Prime Minister’s rejection of that proposal. We accept that a new system should be independent, have a standards code, a means of resolving disputes, the power to demand prominent apologies and the ability to levy heavy fines. We have spent 18 months reflecting upon these issues and are determined now to move on as soon as possible with others in our sector to set up a new body that will ensure British journalism is both responsible and robust”.

[Updated at 11:43 a.m. ET, 4:43 p.m. GMT] The Hacked Off campaign, which represents what it says are victims of press abuse, has issued a statement saying Leveson's recommendations need to be implemented:

"What is needed is a regulator which can properly and effectively protect the victims of press misconduct. (Leveson) has recommended that this be backed by legislation to protect the public and the press.

"These proposals are reasonable and proportionate and we call on all parties to get together to implement them as soon as possible.

"The press must be given a deadline. The Inquiry is over. Now is the time for action."

[Updated at 11:30 a.m. ET, 4:30 p.m. GMT] More from Labour Party leader Ed Miliband:

FULL POST

Post by:
Filed under: Media • United Kingdom
November 29th, 2012
07:48 AM ET

Recommendations on British media regulation expected today

Britain's media may learn today if it will be allowed to continue to regulate itself when the recommendations of an independent inquiry are expected to be released.

Prime Minister David Cameron will make a statement to lawmakers following the release of the Leveson report. The prime minister is expected to spell out what action the government plans to take.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: David Cameron • Media • United Kingdom
Irish Daily Star editor resigns over Kate Middleton topless photos
The front page of the September 15 edition of the Irish Daily Star touts topless pictures of the duchess of Cambridge.
November 24th, 2012
03:13 PM ET

Irish Daily Star editor resigns over Kate Middleton topless photos

The editor of the Irish Daily Star resigned Saturday "as a result of the publication on 15 September 2012" of topless photos of the duchess of Cambridge, according to a statement from the paper.

The images showed Catherine Middleton, the wife of Britain's Prince William, sunbathing, igniting a firestorm of controversy in the British media and stern comments from Buckingham Palace.

The editor, Michael O'Kane, had been suspended earlier after the September 15 edition hit the newsstands.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Ireland • Prince William • United Kingdom
November 22nd, 2012
09:40 AM ET

BBC appoints new director general

Tony Hall, the chief executive of the Royal Opera House and the BBC's former director of news, has been appointed the corporation's new director-general, the BBC announced Thursday.

His appointment comes after the resignation of George Entwistle earlier this month. He quit after a BBC report led to a former senior Conservative Party politician being wrongly accused of child abuse.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz • United Kingdom • World
Brooks, Coulson charged over alleged payments to officials
Rebekah Brooks, the former head of News International, leaves a court hearing in London on September 26, 2012.
November 20th, 2012
06:28 AM ET

Brooks, Coulson charged over alleged payments to officials

Rupert Murdoch's protege Rebekah Brooks will be charged with conspiracy over alleged illegal payments to a Ministry of Defence employee, Britain's Crown Prosecution Service said Tuesday.

In a separate case, Andy Coulson, another former Murdoch editor who went on to work for Prime Minister David Cameron, faces charges of conspiring to make illegal payments to officials for information relating to the royal family, the CPS said.

FULL STORY
Radical cleric Abu Qatada released from jail
Muslim cleric Abu Qatada has been described as "more radical than Osama bin Laden."
November 13th, 2012
06:28 AM ET

Radical cleric Abu Qatada released from jail

Radical cleric Abu Qatada was released from jail on bail today, following a successful appeal Monday against deportation from the United Kingdom to face terror charges in Jordan.

It's the latest stage in a long-running battle over British efforts to deport the man accused of funding terrorist groups and said to have inspired one of the 9/11 hijackers.

Radical cleric Abu Qatada to be released on bail
November 12th, 2012
11:05 AM ET

Radical cleric Abu Qatada to be released on bail

[Updated at 11:05 a.m. ET] Abu Qatada is expected to be released on Tuesday, but his bail conditions are still being set, Britain’s Judicial Communications Office said Monday.

Britain's Special Immigration Appeals Commission upheld the radical cleric's appeal against deportation to Jordan earlier Monday

[Posted at 7:47 a.m. ET] Radical cleric Abu Qatada has won a legal battle that means he will not be deported from the United Kingdom to Jordan, the latest round in a long-running battle over British efforts to deport the man accused of funding terrorist groups and said to have inspired one of the 9/11 hijackers.

FULL POST

November 11th, 2012
04:03 AM ET

Police: Man, 70, arrested in connection with Jimmy Savile sex abuse investigation

A 70-year-old man has been arrested in connection with an investigation into sex abuse allegations against late TV presenter Jimmy Savile, the Metropolitan Police said in a statement released this morning.

The man, whose identity was not released, was arrested "on suspicion of sexual offenses," according to the statement. Authorities did not detail the allegations against the man.

"The individual falls under the strand of the investigation we have termed 'others'," the statement said.

Post by:
Filed under: United Kingdom • World
BBC director general resigns after erroneous child abuse report
"The wholly exceptional events of the past few weeks have led me to conclude that the BBC should appoint a new leader," George Entwistle said Saturday.
November 10th, 2012
04:22 PM ET

BBC director general resigns after erroneous child abuse report

George Entwistle, director general of the British Broadcasting Corporation, said Saturday that he would step down amid controversy over the broadcasting of false claims by a sex abuse victim.

FULL POST

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: United Kingdom
UK police investigate guard’s gunfire outside William and Kate’s home
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are shown touring Tuvalu in September.
November 2nd, 2012
09:43 AM ET

UK police investigate guard’s gunfire outside William and Kate’s home

One of the guards for Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge is having a moment of publicity he might like to forgo.

A protection officer believed to be guarding William and Kate’s cottage on the remote Welsh island of Anglesey unintentionally discharged a gun while in an unmarked police vehicle Wednesday afternoon, London’s Metropolitan Police said Friday.

FULL POST

« older posts
newer posts »