It's been almost two months since the Occupy Wall Street protest began in New York. The movement spread to cities across the country, with many having different issues and challenges.
Many Occupy protesters generally assert, among other things, that the nation's wealthiest 1% holds inordinate sway over the remaining 99% of the population. CNN Radio reported from a few different states to get a pulse on the movement.
Click the audio player to hear the report:
IN NEW YORK
The Occupy Wall Street encampment in New Yorkâ€™s Zuccotti Park has taken on an air of permanency since a storm pelted protesters with sleet, snow and rain a few days ago. Tents are not only tolerated by police now, they cover the public plaza from one end to the other. Protesters say they are there for the long haul.
â€śOur goal at this point is just to stay here. And as long as we continue to exist ... we continue to be a movement rather than just a flash in the pan,â€ť Jeffrey Brewer said as he took part in a discussion about diversity at an area of the park demonstrators call the Think Tank.
While the park is the public face of Occupy Wall Street, problem-solving is largely taking place off-site. Working groups tackling various issues meet in nearby public atriums and restaurants daily.
Protesters have been camping out at New Yorkâ€™s Zuccotti Park for more than two weeks.
What started as call to action by Adbusters, a Canadian anti-consumer organization, to protest greed and corruption in Manhattan's Financial District has grown into a catch-all movement of dissent and frustration with current norms.
Overheard on CNN.com: What do the protesters want?
Fueled by social media, the protests have persisted and have begun to attract mainstream attention. By now, the Occupy Wall Street event is attracting a lot of street musicians and tourists.
The atmosphere appears more festive than angry.
View a high-resolution gallery of the protests
Those assembled say there is no leadership, but thereâ€™s plenty of organization. Food continues to be donated, and protesters take shifts for things such as sanitation duty in which they sweep the park. There are no restrooms, but there are plenty of fast-food restaurants and coffee shops nearby for bathroom breaks.
â€śItâ€™s the '60s without the drugs,â€ť says Jennifer Jager, who lives near the park and has been watching and visiting the protesters.
â€śA lot of them who started it are younger than my son,â€ť she says.
CNNâ€™s Susanna Capelouto and Jonathan Binder spent an afternoon with the protesters and sent this audio postcard:
You can also listen to the CNN Radio Reports podcast on or to the podcast here.
There is no doubt that Ted Williams has an amazing voice. It's a voice that only belongs behind a microphone announcing a basketball game, voicing an infomercial, reading the news or reminiscing with us on our favorite oldies station.
And who doesn't love a story about someone getting a second chance at life? It's inspiring to know that when we might need that second chance or if we are looking for one right now, there's hope. To see the outpouring of jobs, opportunities and support Williams got after his video went viral, reminds us that there are good people in our world ready and willing to help.
But let's put the fairy tale aside for a second. This man was struggling and looking for work - a story that many people nation wide can very much relate to, especially in the radio industry - filling out resumes, applying for jobs, practicing voice exercises, re-editing the voice reel. Take a look at Voice123.com. It's a warehouse full of voice talent. A basic search for an adult male voice will give you thousands of quality voice samples to listen to. And then you see "Homeless Man Gets Radio Job" top the headlines across the country.
Industry expert Tom Taylor who blogs on Radio-Info.com has heard the backlash this story has created in the radio world. Taylor summarizes the frustration, not in a way to completely deflate this "feel-good" story, but to remind everyone there is a harsh reality to the business.
"What you're hearing from some radio folks isn't jealousy or resentment, exactly - but a reminder that life's not fair," Taylor blogged. "Especially in an industry that has tossed talented people out the door for much of the last decade."
Did Ted Williams' voice change everything we thought we knew about radio? No. So this post is for the people in radio working hard to get their break. It's to acknowledge that no matter what the industry, people are struggling to find work. As inspiring as this story is, it's got to give some people a headache.
Imagine you get that automated e-mail sent from an HR department after they closed your profile saying, "Thank you for your interest in job #0002792614, but we have filled the position. In fact, we actually hired a homeless guy who we saw on YouTube. Good luck in your job search!"